Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Still can’t be leave 8/256 is still the base model, I mean 8 GM of memory and that shared with the graphics. Well I can believe it but I’ll pass again.

Bravo on the multi monitors tho.
If you don't believe, then be leave (ing), right? ;)

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
sigh. . . old man here, remember using a TRS80 with a cassette tape deck for storage. If you stored anything, you had to remember the number on the tape recorder to find it again. And then keep a running log to make sure that you didn't overwrite something. View attachment 2356356
That's modern tech for my old self... I started with paper tape and a tty with a surplus PDP-11/05 (note picture isn't what I had, that's a PDP-8)... cassettes were a huge leap compared to cards and rolls of paper!

Oh, and given the noise of the TTY and PDP fans was not allowed to use it after 10pm... Mom's house, her rules.

main-qimg-e3ce4d00d97be1b114fe17beda0299bf

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
sigh. . . old man here, remember using a TRS80 with a cassette tape deck for storage. If you stored anything, you had to remember the number on the tape recorder to find it again. And then keep a running log to make sure that you didn't overwrite something. View attachment 2356356
Just a little before my time. But not by much :) Good thing as I would never have had the patience for tape :) Bad enough a 5.25 inch floppy :)

Reactions: profcutter

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I recall how futuristic the 3.5 inch floppy disks felt after moving away from the 5.25s. I still remember the noises they made. 🥲
I remember how hot that 1541 drive used to get. We actually mounted a fan on the outside because we were worried it would catch on fire. Playing the file “1541 Sings” probably didn’t help!

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I recall how futuristic the 3.5 inch floppy disks felt after moving away from the 5.25s. I still remember the noises they made. 🥲
Then there was a repeated arguments I had with multiple people that you could not just take an 8” Wang floppy disk and cut it down to be used in a 5 1/4 inch drive. It was kind of frightening how the same foolish idea kept on coming up over and over again.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
That's modern tech for my old self... I started with paper tape and a tty with a surplus PDP-11/05 (note picture isn't what I had, that's a PDP-8)... cassettes were a huge leap compared to cards and rolls of paper!

Oh, and given the noise of the TTY and PDP fans was not allowed to use it after 10pm... Mom's house, her rules.

main-qimg-e3ce4d00d97be1b114fe17beda0299bf
Then there was the huge technology breakthrough, where we went from paper tape to polyester/mylar tape.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
There's been rumors of a 12" too. I had forgotten that.
But of course Apple release the 13" first.

Ah well, I'm gonna clean out my old MBA, which could take some time.
See if anything about the 12" will surface during that time.
Otherwise a new 13" it will be.
There has been speculation about a smaller MacBook but no solid rumors that Apple is even considering anything like that now.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I had the same tape storage on a Commodore 64. you had to be very careful not to overnight your files with tape as you are essentially a carbon-based version of a data access controller.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
There has been speculation about a smaller MacBook but no solid rumors that Apple is even considering anything like that now.
I know, not really expecting it either, but as I wont buy the new MBA M3 immidiately anyway, I can let the thought flourish a bit while I sort out my old machine.
I also found the 'presentation of new products' very short. It must be more coming, or is this the new 'Apple way' - one product at a time?

Reactions: Tagbert

Rookbird¥

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2021
There’s just something wrong when they’re comparing the M3 to the first generation M1, and not the second generation M2. Is the difference between M3 and the M2 really that small?

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I like how many predicted that the M3 will have 16GB of ram as a base model :)
Still 8GB.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
There’s just something wrong when they’re comparing the M3 to the first generation M1, and not the second generation M2. Is the difference between M3 and the M2 really that small?
I feel it's more that the messaging is targeted at the more likely group of upgraders. The M1 MBA was released in end 2020, more than 3 years ago. This group of users (like me) would be in the market for a new laptop (ie: the M3 MBA), so it would be more meaningful to let them know exactly how they get to benefit from getting a new device.

In contrast, the owners of an M2 MBA probably aren't thinking of upgrading anytime soon, so no point marketing to them right now.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Then there was a repeated arguments I had with multiple people that you could not just take an 8” Wang floppy disk and cut it down to be used in a 5 1/4 inch drive. It was kind of frightening how the same foolish idea kept on coming up over and over again.
I'll never forget reading about the tech support call where he told her to put the disk into the slot. After 20 minutes she finally said OK. Turns out, she had taken it out of the wrapper! And, lo and behold, it worked!

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I feel it's more that the messaging is targeted at the more likely group of upgraders. The M1 MBA was released in end 2020, more than 3 years ago. This group of users (like me) would be in the market for a new laptop (ie: the M3 MBA), so it would be more meaningful to let them know exactly how they get to benefit from getting a new device.

In contrast, the owners of an M2 MBA probably aren't thinking of upgrading anytime soon, so no point marketing to them right now.
Nevertheless, I AM thinking about it. Normally I would not, but I am strangely attracted to this beast :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.