Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
You gotta love how Apple always throws their own products under the bus and goes back against all their marketing whenever regulation draws close, like how they said "macOS is not secure at all" in regards to why they can't impliment sideloading on iOS. Hypocrites.
Yup. You can thank Craig Fedherigi for that little booboo

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Most people look at me like I'm an idiot when I say they can just message me through iMessage instead of WhatsApp. I'm in the UK by the way.
Same in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany really. I loathe that Apple refuses to implement RCS on iOS and macOS so we can get rid of third party services like WhatsApp.

Reactions: TimFL1

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Same in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany really. I loathe that Apple refuses to implement RCS on iOS and macOS so we can get rid of third party services like WhatsApp.
I too would like to see RCS on iOS but the problem around it is that the RCS standard is not really being utilized like a standard. Right now, Apple would essentially need to route all of their iMessage traffic through Google servers which makes zero sense.

Reactions: com.B

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
iMessage is the worst. It's lacking basic features and is full of silly nonsense.
It's also created ridiculous snootery in the dating world; if women see a green bubble, you're out. I feel like this kind of stupidity is exclusive to Americans though... the same people that glorify the Kardashians.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It's also created ridiculous snootery in the dating world; if women see a green bubble, you're out. I feel like this kind of stupidity is exclusive to Americans though... the same people that glorify the Kardashians.

Honestly that's a blessing in disguise. Anyone who doesn't want to be with you over something so trivial as the phone you use isn't a person you want to be around.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Dating shouldn't be done online anyway -- Workplaces, Friends Bars, Pubs that is where you meet people.

Reactions: brucemr

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Bars yes. Workplaces though, bad idea. Very very bad idea. That's a good way to have a meeting with HR.
I have known many successful people who dated that work together....For places I have worked the HR thing is more serious. Which includes unwanted advances or threats (and I honestly wish jail time)

If two people like each other start seeing each other outside the workplace then eventually date...heck why not?

Not exactly. By some standards VW is tech company and by some it isn't.

The definition is not strict.
No offense but, I don't think anyone would agree (at least that I know and I am in IT). VW makes cars (amazing ones in fact) but it is by no means a tech company...it's an automobile company. It's like saying they VW is an audio company for having speakers in their cars.

Yes. And the point is?
Stating a fact...nothing else.

Cross-platform does not mean they would not stay private...
Do you really trust Facebook for things to stay private? If so I also have a beachfront resort in the desert to sell ya :p.

Apple is known for its end-to-end encryption...that is why I feel safe actually using bank numbers, etc in it. Now if going from iMessage to SMS....well then I wouldn't trust anything private.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brucemr and 3530025

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
And how exactly are they currently competitive? Nokia doesn't even exist, what is called Nokia now are just remnants after Microsoft purchased them. Ericsson hasn't done anything on its own in almost 20 years.
Lol, ignorance is bliss I guess.

Ericsson is quite a large company. No, they do not make any mobile phones anymore, that was ages ago.
Ericsson powers 141 5G networks in 61 countries.
R&D budget for 2022 was almost $5 billion.

Nokia is just as big a company. Nokia on its own stands for 21% of the Finnish export. They too focus on network equipment after _selling_ their mobile phone business to Microsoft (not the other way around). In 2011, MS and Nokia announced a "strategic partnership", but only 2 years later, 2013 Nokia sold their mobile phone business to MS and have focused on other things since then (mostly network equipment). The android phones you can buy today with Nokia branding is a different company, not owned by Nokia. That company bought the mobile phones division from Microsoft and I guess the Nokia branding for phones came along with the sale.

Reactions: gusmula

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Do you really trust Facebook for things to stay private? If so I also have a beachfront resort in the desert to sell ya :p.

Apple is known for its end-to-end encryption...that is why I feel safe actually using bank numbers, etc in it. Now if going from iMessage to SMS....well then I wouldn't trust anything private.
WhatsApp also has end-to-end encryption and there’s no reason to believe that Meta is lying about it and reading your messages. I just don’t think it’s possible to run a conspiracy with hundreds of people - if there was such a breach of trust, someone on their engineering team would have come forward by now.

Clearly, what they do is harvest your contact list so they can maintain that shadow profile on you and everyone you know, and this somehow helps them target ads better, even for people with no Facebook/Instagram/etc accounts.

Since I run a variety of ad blockers, Ghostery etc I don’t really care that much about advertising. But privacy in terms of your WhatsApp messages, there’s no reason to think it’s inferior to iMessage and if you know otherwise please present your proof.

I write this as a person who (1) works in security and (2) would drop WhatsApp like a stone if I could convince the rest of the world to use Signal. But let’s not get blinded by partisanship here. iMessage isn’t better, it’s more of a silly platform and it specifically enabled Pegasus, which was one of the worst security holes, in full exploit for over a year, of the iPhone platform.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Messages are too important. and personal.... I trust apple to keep them private, not What's App.

For what it's worth, iMessage has been, and probably is, one of the main attack vectors on iPhones.

It's probably secure enough for most people, but I'm not sure there's a particular reason why message content should be more secure with iMessage than with WhatsApp or Signal.

Reactions: gusmula and solq

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
For what it's worth, iMessage has been, and probably is, one of the main attack vectors on iPhones.

It's probably secure enough for most people, but I'm not sure there's a particular reason why message content should be more secure with iMessage than with WhatsApp or Signal.
Let’s just say that iMessage scares me enough to run my iPhone and iPad in lockdown mode.

People here recite slogans … Facebook bad … Apple good … but they don‘t realize that if Meta would publicly say that WhatsApp has end-to-end encryption (and they do), but behind our backs they’d read the stuff, this would expose them to liability quite possibly larger than Meta’s market cap. They would have to be literally insane to do that, for no discernible gain.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
So if the EU wants interoperability for all messaging platforms, wouldn't this essentially kill off the competition of messaging platforms? What incentive would a company have to develop and continue developing a platform? The competition would be who has the prettiest UI? because it certainly who can do the most things like the app WeChat because that would probably be doing too much to face more regulation

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So if the EU wants interoperability for all messaging platforms, wouldn't this essentially kill off the competition of messaging platforms? What incentive would a company have to develop and continue developing a platform? The competition would be who has the prettiest UI? because it certainly who can do the most things like the app WeChat because that would probably be doing too much to face more regulation
Messaging interoperability is the worst of the DMA regulations. More spam. More confusion. Less privacy. Less security. All for very little benefit.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Messaging interoperability is the worst of the DMA regulations. More spam. More confusion. Less privacy. Less security. All for very little benefit.
If the EU wants that well that is insane.... Guess I will go back to using a telephone as a phone then :) .

EU is really going off the deep end lately. EVERYONE was told never to put anything private online or it would stay forever....no one listened so now people who followed the rules have to suffer these privacy regulations (however yes email and messages should be secure so no one except the intended person can ever, I mean EVER read it)

Everything else is fair game...On a side note. I liked targeted ads...rather see ads for things I would buy then something I could care less about.

Last edited:
Reactions: com.B

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
So if the EU wants interoperability for all messaging platforms, wouldn't this essentially kill off the competition of messaging platforms? What incentive would a company have to develop and continue developing a platform? The competition would be who has the prettiest UI?

There really isn't a lot of competition with messaging platforms in the first place after a decade of network effects entrenching the market leaders. You can more or less ditch one for the other without really noticing a difference other than all your contacts not being there.

If I recall correctly the DMA doesn't require interoperability of all features, just end-to-end encrypted messaging and sharing of certain media files. I think, coincidentally, this is also what locks most people in, so in a sense this could increase competition on features that would truly set the services apart.

I do think that there's a lot of good technical reasons why interoperability might be a tricky thing that's not easy to do and we'll see how this plays out, but I don't think there's a strong argument to be made that it will make the services blander. Quite the opposite I'd assume, even if it's just a better interface.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
That's true. WhatsApp all the way over here.

Many US readers don't understand how small share iPhone (and Apple products in general) has in the Europe compared to the US. Wast majority owns Android over here.
1693945409308.png

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I still don't get the huge success of WhatsApp. Doesn't owning an Android device imply that you have a Google account and so the access to the many communication apps Google already offer (I suppose some of them are even already installed)? Or, at least, that was the scenario at the beginning of the Android era.

My recollection of the early days of WhatsApp is competing cross platform messaging apps didn't necessarily tie your identity to your phone number. With other apps/services you typically had to create an account with a password (this would have included Google's messaging services), which obviously creates some friction. WhatsApp's decision to tie your identify to your phone number coupled with the relative simplicity of the app gave it a winner. Then as it grew network effects kicked in.

Last edited:

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
WhatsApp's decision to tie your identify to your phone number coupled with the relative simplicity of the app gave it a winner, and as then as it gained popularity network effects kicked in.

You're right, WhatsApp did two related things: as you mentioned, it tied your identity to your phone number, but equally important, and unlike most other services that came before it, it didn't require you to maintain your contact list or manually add people.

I remember installing WhatsApp on my OG iPhone, probably some time around the release of iPhone OS 2 and 'it just worked.' Seconds after installing the app you knew exactly who else had it and you were ready to go.

Plus it worked everywhere and in those days there were still quite a few mobile phone systems out there. [This is my senior back in the day moment for today.]

I remember being excited about iMessage because SMS were still a thing, but very quickly it was just all WhatsApp all the time everywhere.

Reactions: brucemr and ozaz

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
You're right, WhatsApp did two related things: as you mentioned, it tied your identity to your phone number, but equally important, and unlike most other services that came before it, it didn't require you to maintain your contact list or manually add people.

I remember installing WhatsApp on my OG iPhone, probably some time around the release of iPhone OS 2 and 'it just worked.' Seconds after installing the app you knew exactly who else had it and you were ready to go.

Plus it worked everywhere and in those days there were still quite a few mobile phone systems out there. [This is my senior back in the day moment for today.]

I remember being excited about iMessage because SMS were still a thing, but very quickly it was just all WhatsApp all the time everywhere.
Before today’s almost universal free unlimited data, I remember a time when some European mobile carriers had offers that didn’t take WhatsApp traffic into account, for your usually meagre data limit. This is also before the EU mandated that all roaming should be treated as local use.

So this type of offer was a huge boon to WhatsApp (I imagine they must have paid for it?), as it enabled people across Europe to have effectively free international calls and data exchange, back when this was relatively expensive. Very important for the millions of economic migrants who wanted to stay in touch with their families.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.