Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
It does matter. I had phones with un-installable Facebook apps, yet I don't have an account. It doesn't make me a user.

I don't use iMessage, as in I don't send SMS messages and I never receive iMessage messages.

So perhaps my phone does have the capability (I don't remember any activation) but an iMessage user I am not and it would a factual error to consider me one.
If Apple wants to escape, they have to prove the numbers, and for DMA all that matters are the numbers. Just in 2022 they sold 56 million iPhones in the EU, sum
up the last 3 years and they are easily over it. Specially with iMessage being activated by default on iPhone,macOS,iPadOS setup. These device platforms don’t count separately. Alone with business users they are surely over it, almost all devs have iMessage activated and they count as business users. Simply as that!

1. The control of an important gateway for business users towards final consumers: when the company provides a core platform service to more than 45 million monthly active end users established or located in the EU and to more than 10,000 yearly active business users established in the EU;

Reactions: koil

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
I was highlighting that the lists you originally provided yourself didn't contain anything of substance?
They did according to my understanding of tech companies. We already clarified this didn't we?

We had different understanding of the definition of tech companies. You were not happy with mine and so I provided updated list which matches your definition. Is there problem with this? Why argue over this?

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
If Apple wants to escape, they have to prove the numbers, and for DMA all that matters are the numbers. Just in 2022 they sold 56 million iPhones in the EU, sum
up the last 3 years and they are easily over it. Specially with iMessage being activated by default on iPhone,macOS,iPadOS setup. These device platforms don’t count separately. Alone with business users they are surely over it, almost all devs have iMessage activated and they count as business users. Simply as that!

1. The control of an important gateway for business users towards final consumers: when the company provides a core platform service to more than 45 million monthly active end users established or located in the EU and to more than 10,000 yearly active business users established in the EU;
If you actually read the text is "monthly active end users". Having iMessage installed and activated isn't enough, Apple has only to prove they have fewer than 45 million active users, which I guess applies to them, otherwise they wouldn't argue it.

Like I said, they cannot possibly count me as an active iMessage user, even if I have an iPhone/iPad/Macbook with iMessage on them.

Reactions: 3530025

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
If you actually read the text is "monthly active end users". Having iMessage installed and activated isn't enough, Apple has only to prove they have fewer than 45 million active users, which I guess applies to them, otherwise they wouldn't argue it.

Like I said, they cannot possibly count me as an active iMessage user, even if I have an iPhone/iPad/Macbook with iMessage on them.

The DMA doesn't specify that "active" needs to mean you sending messages, it can simply mean you being signed into the service. There's probably good reasons to not approach it this way, but it's not as clear cut as you make it appear.

Reactions: Wildkraut

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The DMA doesn't specify that "active" needs to mean you sending messages, it can simply mean you being signed into the service. There's probably good reasons to not approach it this way, but it's not as clear cut as you make it appear.
Yes, it does. It provides a specific definition for different core platform services. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

"Number of unique end users who initiated or participated in any way in a communication through the number-independent interpersonal communication service at least once in the month."

Specially with iMessage being activated by default on iPhone,macOS,iPadOS setup. These device platforms don’t count separately. Alone with business users they are surely over it, almost all devs have iMessage activated and they count as business users. Simply as that!
None of that is true.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Yes, it does. It provides a specific definition for different core platform services. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

"Number of unique end users who initiated or participated in any way in a communication through the number-independent interpersonal communication service at least once in the month."

None of that is true.

You are right, my bad!

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Well they try to clarify it in the Annex, and if you read A.1 you'll see that businesses self-report the number of active users, while A.3, talking about unique users, says "[...]no matter how many times they engaged with the relevant core platform service over that period".

If they use the word "engaged" it's hard to make a case for your interpretation. Merely having it activated is not "engaged". One would need to engage with iMessage, i.e. send at least one iMessage-message during the last month to be counted as an active user.

I checked my iPhone and I never sent an iMessage, and the last time I received an iMessage was Apr 21st 2022. I don't think any reasonable interpretation using the DMA text would count me as an active user.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
And before you continue, yes, there are innovative tech companies in Europe. But most of them are not very competitive on the world stage. There are, of course, some that are competitive. I'm speaking as a whole.
LOL! I can start by naming 2 companies without which the iPhone would never have happened:
Nokia and Ericsson

• Love
Reactions: Wildkraut and koil

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Well they try to clarify it in the Annex, and if you read A.1 you'll see that businesses self-report the number of active users, while A.3, talking about unique users, says "[...]no matter how many times they engaged with the relevant core platform service over that period".

If they use the word "engaged" it's hard to make a case for your interpretation. Merely having it activated is not "engaged". One would need to engage with iMessage, i.e. send at least one iMessage-message during the last month to be counted as an active user.

I checked my iPhone and I never sent an iMessage, and the last time I received an iMessage was Apr 21st 2022. I don't think any reasonable interpretation using the DMA text would count me as an active user.

We’ll know how the EC interprets this when they publish their list tomorrow.

But I guess if they wanted to they could say that as long as you open the Message app on your phone and iMessage is enabled you are technically engaging with iMessage (because this App is the client application for iMessage and presumably connects to an iMessage server when you start it).

I agree it would be quite a stretch, but it would put Apple in a tricky situation: either the refuse to comply and engage in a legal battle (with no guarantee of winning and knowing that even if they win, the only way for them to remain out of scope is for iMessage to remain a failure in Europe which is an ackward situation); or they just go for the easy route and they don’t dispute the interpretation.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
We’ll know how the EC interprets this when they publish their list tomorrow.

But I guess if they wanted to they could say that as long as you open the Message app on your phone and iMessage is enabled you are technically engaging with iMessage (because this App is the client application for iMessage and presumably connects to an iMessage server when you start it).

I agree it would be quite a stretch, but it would put Apple in a tricky situation: either the refuse to comply and engage in a legal battle (with no guarantee of winning and knowing that even if they win, the only way for them to remain out of scope is for iMessage to remain a failure in Europe which is an ackward situation); or they just go for the easy route and they don’t dispute the interpretation.
Based on "Number of unique end users who initiated or participated in any way in a communication through the number-independent interpersonal communication service at least once in the month.", I'd say that simply opening the app won't do it. Plus, I don't think Apple tracks that and I doubt the EU would make them track the simple opening of the Messages app.

What Apple can track, since it actually goes through their servers, is you sending or receiving an iMessage, and this is what they'll report. Remember that it's self-computing and self-reporting.

Even if they get included, they can come back and show they have fewer users than the threshold.

Reactions: brucemr

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
LOL! I can start by naming 2 companies without which the iPhone would never have happened:
Nokia and Ericsson
And how exactly are they currently competitive? Nokia doesn't even exist, what is called Nokia now are just remnants after Microsoft purchased them. Ericsson hasn't done anything on its own in almost 20 years.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
Most people look at me like I'm an idiot when I say they can just message me through iMessage instead of WhatsApp. I'm in the UK by the way.

It's got to the point I give up and just installed WhatsApp. I hate Meta but it's less hassle. I like iMessage but now I've been using WhatsApp I can see why it's prefered. WhatsApp is by far the better communication platform.
From the UK also and would say the complete opposite. Hate Whatsapp, hate everything about it. Have no reason for it since everyone I know is on iMessage and prefers it. There have been a small few who weren’t but it’s a great excuse not to speak to them.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
No doubt that Europe is too highly regulated to show a huge amount of innovation, but there's some - without doing any research Spotify and Linux come to mind...

But don't forget that all those US tech giants have lots and lots of R&D in Europe.

The problem is that way too much of it is directly tied to or funnels into U.S. (or Asian) companies and products instead of creating new/separate competition.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
The problem is that way too much of it is directly tied to or funnels into U.S. (or Asian) companies and products instead of creating new/separate competition.
Yes, the US is the world’s tech nexus and I think it will remain so for the foreseeable future.

It doesn’t matter if some European business innovates or does something cool, it usually gets bought out immediately by an US company since they have the money.

And then the major US tech businesses hoover most of the IT talent in Europe anyway, with huge wages, since they have the money.

It’s hard to create new competition when your emerging businesses and people are immediately bought out.

Please do not read my reply as a value judgement. Personally, it makes little difference to me if it’s US or Europe. It would make a difference if it were China, Russia, UAE etc.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
iMessage has as many users the iPhone has, simply as that. Apple will have to open it or get fined.
You can use an iPhone without an AppleID. You can use an iPhone without signing in to iMessage. You can be signed in to iMessage but never actually use it. You can use it for a while then stop using it.

And before you continue, yes, there are innovative tech companies in Europe. But most of them are not very competitive on the world stage. There are, of course, some that are competitive. I'm speaking as a whole.
The list also goes way, way down when you cut the UK out and just talk EU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brucemr

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
That's true. WhatsApp all the way over here.

Many US readers don't understand how small share iPhone (and Apple products in general) has in the Europe compared to the US. Wast majority owns Android over here.
And the opposite here in the states. Go figure.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
I bet there are past articles from Apple saying how popular imessage is and that more people should adopt it over it's rivals but now to prevent imessage from having to work with rivals Apple are saying imessage actually is not popular and therefore should not be touched by the EU.

Apple are very happy to postulate how good and popular an iphone feature is but when regulators come calling, suddenly Apple downplays how popular the iphone feature actually is.
I think you just answered your question. They want people to use it, but if disclosing the active monthly users in the EU gets them out of messy compliance with a stupid law, they'll take it.

WhatsApp and others are having to spend a lot of energy to figure out how to comply, and Apple will just read their notes once they get close to needing to be regulated (or if the implementations wind up being something the market actually wants)

zoomp

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
hahahah. Finally admitting 60% of its users don't use iMsg. So they should do something for them and instead of trying to escape EU regulation, actually adopt it to promote a better integration with Whatsapp since the REST OF THE WORLD uses it.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
English is not a country...The UK is,....if that is what you mean it makes sense. If you mean people who speak English....um across the pond there are English-speaking people who hate What's App!

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
This seems plausible.

Based on prior reporting of about 100 million MAU for the iOS App Store in the EU, combined with the fact that most iPhone users in the EU have never received or sent an iMessage, much less used it regularly enough for it them to be counted as monthly active users, its very plausible that there are less than 45 million EU iMessage users.

I'd be surprised if even close to 10% of the iPhone users use iMessage regularly. Most EU users only use the Messages app as a 2FA code receptacle and almost exclusively use WhatsApp or Telegram.

As for the usual pissing contest with the EU and heralding of doom for the EU by Americans: the EU is doing vastly better than the US in almost every metric.

The only metric where the US comes out on top is the amount of perversely rich people and companies, but to the average EU citizen that's a symptom of a disease, you might as well brag about your buboes and how much higher your body temperate is compared to someone who isn't affected by the bubonic plague.

Reactions: nrose101

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
It definitely is possible. And to be honest. Cross-platform open-standard like iMessage would be great.
Messages are too important. and personal.... I trust apple to keep them private, not What's App.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
They did according to my understanding of tech companies. We already clarified this didn't we?

We had different understanding of the definition of tech companies. You were not happy with mine and so I provided updated list which matches your definition. Is there problem with this? Why argue over this?
That's like saying alternative news..... Tech companies are tech companies. No more comments needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.