Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Are you for real? Plenty of European innovative tech companies. Your comment seems to be typical American view - we have all and others do not have anything. That's really out of reality. Did you travel to the Europe at least once?

Some source to back-up my claim https://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-most-innovative-companies-europe-201200980.html?guccounter=1
Not sure if those sources are maybe faulty or not, but there is nothing in either of the things I can see that backs up your claim of "plenty of European innovative tech companies".

Reactions: gusmula

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Doesn’t matter, I bet when you set up your iPhone it activated iMessage, so you count in, it’s ready to used.
It does matter. I had phones with un-installable Facebook apps, yet I don't have an account. It doesn't make me a user.

I don't use iMessage, as in I don't send SMS messages and I never receive iMessage messages.

So perhaps my phone does have the capability (I don't remember any activation) but an iMessage user I am not and it would a factual error to consider me one.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
Not sure if those sources are maybe faulty or not, but there is nothing in either of the things I can see that backs up your claim of "plenty of European innovative tech companies".
Maybe it's because of different definition of the "tech" company? Airbus, Bosch, Siemens are definitely examples of tech companies for me. Or maybe your browser is broken? Because there are many of them.

Also there's CERN in the Europe as well as ESA. So plenty of innovative stuff in general.

Reactions: Lyrics23

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
The DMA threshold is 45,000,000 active end users and 10,000 active business users per year [Correction: per month], in addition to turnover requirements.

The rub really is how this will be calculated. Apple will likely argue that the determinant factor should be whether people actively use the service, in which case it quite clearly shows that most Apple users in the EU probably don't use iMessage if Apple thinks it shouldn't be covered.

However, the methodology set out in the Annex can, but doesn't necessarily mandate, such an approach. The wording of the DMA would probably also capture an approach that says as long as people are signed in, they are actively using the service. Since you have to opt out rather than opt in to iMessage there'd be a certain logic to saying that every active Apple device with iMessage turned on should count toward the cap. Apple, in turn, could easily remedy this just by making it opt in.

As a strong supporter of interoperability and someone who would like to see Apple adopt RCS or some other format to make messaging with Android using built in features more feature rich I'd obviously like to see iMessage opened up, but in fairness I think Apple has a point here and I long though that the focus (here, in MR) on iMessage as a target for the DMA was overblown.

In terms of messaging WhatsApp is the prize in the EU and, as an Apple user, it would actually be fantastic if I didn't have to install it.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Well what do you expect? I use iMessage when I can, but when I can is only when talking to other people with iPhones. Most of my chat consequently happens on Discord or Signal (I don't use Meta products).

Make it cross platform Apple, for goodness sake. Do you really think people are buying iPhones so they can use iMessage to talk exclusively to other iPhone users?

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Which is correct, nobody uses iMessage over here. I only use them to send Messages with effects to people with iphones (about once a year on their birthday).

I mostly use Signal and Discord and unfortunately also get the occasional whatsapp from old folks and technophobes. (I hate that app with a passion, getting a whatsapp feels like getting spit on. But I can't get rid of it because of one freakin work related chatgroup)

Reactions: AbsoluteAnointedOne

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Maybe it's because of different definition of the "tech" company? Airbus, Bosch, Siemens are definitely examples of tech companies for me. Or maybe your browser is broken? Because there are many of them.

Also there's CERN in the Europe as well as ESA. So plenty of innovative stuff in general.
Yeah I'd consider tech company as what the majority of other people would consider a tech company. Companies you listed there are giant conglomerates with their fingers in dozens of pies. Companies on the list you shared include the likes of Shell, Axa, Mercedes Benz - not exactly tech companies.

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
No it does not, that’s the theoretical upper limit. I have an iPhone and never use iMessage, nor do I know anyone with an iPhone that uses iMessage.

For me, SMS is something for automated things, like 2nd factor authentication, deliveries from the post office, stuff like that. I get perhaps 1-2 SMSes from humans a year, and those aren’t iMessages but just regular SMS.

Otherwise, Signal and WhatsApp all the way.
This is true for the vast majority of iPhone users in Germany, in my experience. Messages is the SMS app, that's all.

iMessage is in such an awkward place as an iPhone-exclusive communication platform. I'm surprised it's popular even in the US, where iPhone usage is high (about two thirds?) but certainly not universal. It's so much better to have everyone on a single consistent app, where you don't have to worry about feature compatibility.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
Apple will likely argue that the determinant factor should be whether people actively use the service, in which case it quite clearly shows that most Apple users in the EU probably don't use iMessage if Apple thinks it shouldn't be covered.
while i think that iMessage indeed is rather small in comparison to the top messaging apps, you should never take a company's word to be honest:
Amazon is trying to convince the EU on court at the moment, that it is not a large company and thus some new regulations do not apply to them.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
Yeah I'd consider tech company as what the majority of other people would consider a tech company. Companies you listed there are giant conglomerates with their fingers in dozens of pies. Companies on the list you shared include the likes of Shell, Axa, Mercedes Benz - not exactly tech companies.
All right. Fair enough.

So SAP, Prosus, Adyen, NXP Semiconductors, Infineon, STMicroelectronics, Ericsson for instance should be valid according to your own definition.

Reactions: Lyrics23

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
Most people look at me like I'm an idiot when I say they can just message me through iMessage instead of WhatsApp. I'm in the UK by the way.

It's got to the point I give up and just installed WhatsApp. I hate Meta but it's less hassle. I like iMessage but now I've been using WhatsApp I can see why it's prefered. WhatsApp is by far the better communication platform.
There's Signal for more privacy.
I don't understand why my friends don't swich.
I'd love to ditch meta, but that would equal i stant kill of any social life I have.
You're in Europe? You have to get whatsapp

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Do you really think people are buying iPhones so they can use iMessage to talk exclusively to other iPhone users?

People don’t do that in Europe (except maybe some Scandinavian countries) and in most of the world. But in the US, they do.

The fact that Apple sees iMessage as a marketing tool for its product was documented in emails between executives released as part of a lawsuit.

As per a previous post of mine, I think not making iMessage interoperable in the EU will kill it in this region (assuming all other major messaging Apps indeed become interoperable). But this might be a price Apple is willing to pay because of the benefit they are getting for keeping it closed in the US (I know they could technically make it interoperable in the EU and keep it closed in the rest of the world, but IMO it would be unsustainable as many non-EU customers would keep asking why they can’t can the same feature and get really annoyed).

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
All tech companies should just leave that market all together. Let them feel the pressure from all of the people in those countries. No Windows, no macOS, no iOS, no Android. The only way to back them off is to leave.

Last edited:

randyhudson

Suspended
Oct 28, 2007
USA
That's true. WhatsApp all the way over here.

Many US readers don't understand how small share iPhone (and Apple products in general) has in the Europe compared to the US. Wast majority owns Android over here.
All of your contacts really appreciate you handing over their phone numbers to Facebook. I guess privacy isn't so popular in EU?

Reactions: AbsoluteAnointedOne

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Well in the near future there actually may be no iMessage for you https://www.spiceworks.com/tech/art...apple-warns-halt-imessage-and-facetime-in-uk/
The UK isn't part of the EU.

Oh god. Addidas AG is listed as an innovative tech company?

Hermes is listed as #1. LVMH is listed as #2.

I think you proved yourself wrong.

So Europe's most innovative tech companies are two luxury goods companies that use models and marketing to sell overpriced handbags and perfumes?

You're joking right?

And before you continue, yes, there are innovative tech companies in Europe. But most of them are not very competitive on the world stage. There are, of course, some that are competitive. I'm speaking as a whole.
I agree those examples are bollocks and the person trying to defend them is embarrassing themselves (but then everyone on either side in a "my geopolitical designation is better than yours" pissing contest is embarrassing themselves).

The impression I get (and I'm in no way an expert so if you're after deep insight don't bother reading this) is that the reasons there are no tech giants in Europe isn't lack of innovation in Europe (I'm including the UK in that), or regulations in the EU, it's scale and culture.

Partly there isn't the same kind of capitalist culture in Europe so when innovation happens people are less likely to turn it into a big business. One gets the impression it's the dream of every American to run a company, that's just now how people think here.

And partly there's size of market. The USA is one huge market, with one language, one dominant culture, and to a large extent one regulatory regime (true, there are state regulations to consider). The EU is a far cry from that. It's still a collection of different countries with different cultures, languages and laws. The EU level regulations will be least of your concerns when you're thinking about expanding your business into 49 other countries. If anything I bet you'd wish everything was done at that level. And I'm told the single market for services is even less cohesive than for physical goods. And of course not every country in Europe is part of the single market (Britain isn't, for example).

And finally of course there's state intervention. You may think the EU is heavy handed but the US is actually quite active in industrial policy - it pumps money into many industries to help the US be dominant in them, and I suspect the US wouldn't have allowed a company like ARM to be sold abroad like the UK did.

Last edited:

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
Italian here. Can confirm
I have more contacts on Telegram that I have on iMessage

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Surprised by some of these comments. WhatsApp does have the ability to span iPhone and Android which is a major plus but being better than iMessage? Not in my opinion, iMessage is a far better experience and anyone I know with an iPhone which is almost everyone I know uses iMessage. They might not know it's called iMessage of course, plenty of non-techies out there that wouldn't know this but just that they message using messages on an iPhone.

Obviously if the UK was still in the EU this would be higher as it's roughly 50 / 50 between iPhone and Android shipments here. iPhones for the wealthy south and Android's for the poor north 😉 Ah just kidding my fellow Brits.

• Haha
Reactions: Grayburn

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
People don’t do that in Europe (except maybe some Scandinavian countries) and in most of the world. But in the US, they do.

The fact that Apple sees iMessage as a marketing tool for its product was documented in emails between executives released as part of a lawsuit.

As per a previous post of mine, I think not making iMessage interoperable in the EU will kill it in this region (assuming all other major messaging Apps indeed become interoperable). But this might be a price Apple is willing to pay because of the benefit they are getting for keeping it closed in the US (I know they could technically make it interoperable in the EU and keep it closed in the rest of the world, but IMO it would be unsustainable as many non-EU customers would keep asking why they can’t can the same feature and get really annoyed).
Yeah, I remember that leak. It's an interesting situation that isn't it? Since iMessage doesn't do anything the other messaging platforms don't do its only benefit* is linking with people who already use it (and only it), so keeping it exclusive can only be a benefit when it's already dominant in the market, by definition it can't help you grow market share from a low base because in such a market it's one big benefit cannot exist.

I still have a hard time believing it. Just how dominant is iOS in the US? Even if only a third of people have Android phones that still makes it very likely that most people will communicate with an Android user and will therefore have a service other than iMessage on their phones, in which case you can safely buy an Android phone and know you'll be able to communicate with everyone you know, so how does it help sell iPhone?

*OK, there's the additional benefit of having a UI you might prefer, but that's very minor to the point of being negligible compared to its ability to actually connect with people

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
No idea what and where is that limit but Apple is not wrong here. iMessage is irrelevant around here.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
iMessage is a far better experience
How's that? What does it offer to make it a "far better experience"? Is it making the user into a monkey, with those "me-mojies" that you find extraordinary? Sounds like hyperbole to me.

I've used a number of chat apps and they're very similar. If anything, WhatsApp seems better for sending documents between people and it's easy to find them later.

tomislavf

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
SMS/MMS (group SMS & multimedia) is free in the US, so iPhone users who communicate with Android users just send those messages as regular SMS from the Messages app and "it just works".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.