Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Are you for real? Plenty of European innovative tech companies. Your comment seems to be typical American view - we have all and others do not have anything. That's really out of reality. Did you travel to the Europe at least once?

Some source to back-up my claim https://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-most-innovative-companies-europe-201200980.html?guccounter=1
Oh god. Addidas AG is listed as an innovative tech company?

Hermes is listed as #1. LVMH is listed as #2.

I think you proved yourself wrong.

So Europe's most innovative tech companies are two luxury goods companies that use models and marketing to sell overpriced handbags and perfumes?

You're joking right?

And before you continue, yes, there are innovative tech companies in Europe. But most of them are not very competitive on the world stage. There are, of course, some that are competitive. I'm speaking as a whole.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I exclusively use the iMessage app to read the occasional verification SMS. WhatsApp isn’t going anywhere until it would be shut down, however much I hate it.

Reactions: nrose101

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
iMessage has as many users the iPhone has, simply as that. Apple will have to open it or get fined.
No it does not, that’s the theoretical upper limit. I have an iPhone and never use iMessage, nor do I know anyone with an iPhone that uses iMessage.

For me, SMS is something for automated things, like 2nd factor authentication, deliveries from the post office, stuff like that. I get perhaps 1-2 SMSes from humans a year, and those aren’t iMessages but just regular SMS.

Otherwise, Signal and WhatsApp all the way.

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
Oh god. Addidas AG is listed as an innovative tech company?

Hermes is listed as #1. LVMH is listed as #2.

I think you proved yourself wrong.

So Europe's most innovative tech companies are two luxury goods companies that use models and marketing to sell handbags and perfumes?

You're joking right?
Maybe read all sources

The 2014 EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard
meanwhile uses simply R&D investment. By this metric, a surprising 19 of the top 50 most innovative companies are European, with the top 10 consisting of: Volkswagen (1), Novartis (5), Roche (6), Daimler (10), BMW (13), Sanofi-Aventis (14), Robert Bosch (16), Siemens (19), GlaxoSmithKline (21) and Airbus (27).

The World's Most Innovative Companies
by Fast Company finally "assesses thousands of businesses based on creativity, real-world impact, risk taking, and execution". According to this metric, just 5 of the top 50 companies are European and that's only if you count Israel! These are Shazam (19), Water-Gen (21), Johnnie Walker (31), Nice Systems (48) and Philips (50).

Yep, definitely no innovative tech companies in the Europe. (sarcasm)

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Leave it up to EU to regulate out innovation. How many innovative tech companies does the EU have? Want to know why? Look at their regulations.

Since the EU can't compete on innovative tech companies, they're forced to regulate tech companies from other countries.

That's how they play the game. It's a total repeat of the USA Vs USSR geo-political false duopoly to create the space race, arms race etc. etc. It's a false construct, false competition.

This time and in this context it's a kind of USA Vs EUSSR dynamic, so the US provides the maverick cutting edge innovation (silicon valley effect), then the single block EUSSR politburo push through this kind of centralised regulation and affect the whole system by being such a large global market block, it gets implemented and adopted by devs internally and externally because they all want to play in that bloc, sorry "market", it's command and control centralisation by the back door ( but it couldn't begin until most of that tech was smuggled or exported to CCP, to establish the new computing or manufacturing and tech bloc to undermine the US dominance), the end game is total world domination and big tech is one of those means to achieve it. Simple terms it's a Good cop bad cop in a simple sense.

Ha ha so many disagree with my proviso comments, one wonders are they even in the EU, if they are they must have taken the kool-aid, for those that "disagree" do you even EU bro?

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution”​

― Aldous Huxley

I'm sure we'll all enjoy our imminent upgrade to "hate speech" or to be more accurate, the EUSSR EOL of freedom of speech for all the gulag.

Sometimes it does feel like Apple resist this but they also seem very much part of the the big ESG love's too, so it's hard to tell.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe read all sources

The 2014 EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard
meanwhile uses simply R&D investment. By this metric, a surprising 19 of the top 50 most innovative companies are European, with the top 10 consisting of: Volkswagen (1), Novartis (5), Roche (6), Daimler (10), BMW (13), Sanofi-Aventis (14), Robert Bosch (16), Siemens (19), GlaxoSmithKline (21) and Airbus (27).

The World's Most Innovative Companies
by Fast Company finally "assesses thousands of businesses based on creativity, real-world impact, risk taking, and execution". According to this metric, just 5 of the top 50 companies are European and that's only if you count Israel! These are Shazam (19), Water-Gen (21), Johnnie Walker (31), Nice Systems (48) and Philips (50).

Yep, definitely no innovative tech companies in the Europe. (sarcasm)
Many of those aren't even tech companies. Johnnie Walker, a whisky company, is now an innovative tech company according to this guy. Yikes.

You just proved my point. Again.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Leave it up to EU to regulate out innovation. How many innovative tech companies does the EU have? Want to know why? Look at their regulations.

Since the EU can't compete on innovative tech companies, they're forced to regulate tech companies from other countries.
Better than your “innovative” workplace where you can be fired after 20 years because the boss didn’t like your shoes that day

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I use iMessage exclusively on my iPhone. I refuse to touch anything even remotely related to Meta, either on my phone or on my Mac. No FB, no Insta, none of it.

Everyone I know with an iPhone uses iMessage. I don’t know what Android users use, and I think I know a total of 5 people in my life with Android phones and what they use is their business.

Eventually. Apple will be required to open iMessage up to other platforms. I get it I suppose. I don’t think the government should mandate it. But I will be enjoying USB C on my new iPhone later this month.
Also, I think Apple are playing a losing game if their position is to find legal loopholes to escape the regulation.

I also am a European iMessage user (literally since the day it was launched) as I like it better than competitors, but social constraints are forcing me to use a few other Messaging apps to communicate with non-Apple users ( most iMessage users in Europe are in this situation).

Regardless of Apple managing to escape the regulation, if the market turns into a situation whereby all messaging Apps are interoperable except iMessage, in the name of convenience I will personally dump iMessage and pick whichever other App gives me the best compromise between UX/privacy while providing full interoperability with everything except iMessage (all my Apple contacts also have at least another messaging App than iMessage, so by dumping iMessage I won’t lose touch with anyone).

My point is that regardless of their legal entitlement to do it, by refusing to make iMessage interoperable Apple will gradually kill it in Europe as fewer and fewer people will want to use the only messaging App on the market which is completely isolated. And as increasingly more people leave the ecosystem, even the most hardcore supporters will be forced to transition out as there is no point in a messaging App if most of your contacts cant be reached with it.

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Most people look at me like I'm an idiot when I say they can just message me through iMessage instead of WhatsApp. I'm in the UK by the way.

It's got to the point I give up and just installed WhatsApp. I hate Meta but it's less hassle. I like iMessage but now I've been using WhatsApp I can see why it's prefered. WhatsApp is by far the better communication platform.
What makes it better? I’ve never used it, but what I do know is my Facebook account has been hacked many times but my phone number not so much so I tend to be more appreciative of iMessage.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'm English and I've never used iMessage. Everyone uses WhatsApp here.
Do they get hacked as often as Facebook accounts? If not what keeps them more secure and why doesn’t Meta apply that to the Facebook app?

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
It definitely is possible. And to be honest. Cross-platform open-standard like iMessage would be great.

Agree. TBH I thing regardless of the legality of it, keeping iMessage as the only major instant messaging platform which isn’t interoperable with other ones is a losing hand to play for Apple (unless they don’t mind letting it die out in Europe, which is possible as well as the commercial benefit they are getting from it seems to be mostly in North America).

Reactions: Lyrics23 and hacky

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
Most people look at me like I'm an idiot when I say they can just message me through iMessage instead of WhatsApp. I'm in the UK by the way.

It's got to the point I give up and just installed WhatsApp. I hate Meta but it's less hassle. I like iMessage but now I've been using WhatsApp I can see why it's prefered. WhatsApp is by far the better communication platform.
Actually I too hate WhatsApp but it is a lot more hassle, the desktop versions and iPad versions keep logging out and I have to constantly "add a device" the softeware is really poor. I really think that MSN was better than WhatsApp but it is what everyone uses.

Reactions: gusmula

nicolas_s

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
Many of those aren't even tech companies. Johnnie Walker, a whisky company, is now an innovative tech company according to this guy. Yikes.

You just proved my point. Again.
The fact that he has to Google it to find some "tech" names already proves your point.

Anyone can name at least 5 US tech companies without any hesitation.

As a European, I can even name more Chinese or Japanese tech companies than European ones, and that's sad. This over-regulated environment is killing us.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
That's how they play the game. It's a total repeat of the USA Vs USSR geo-political false duopoly to create the space race, arms race etc. etc. It's a false construct, false competition.

This time and in this context it's a kind of USA Vs EUSSR dynamic, so the US provides the maverick cutting edge innovation (silicon valley effect), then the single block EUSSR politburo push through this kind of centralised regulation and affect the whole system by being such a large global market block, it gets implemented and adopted by devs internally and externally because they all want to play in that bloc, sorry "market", it's command and control centralisation by the back door ( but it couldn't begin until most of that tech was smuggled or exported to CCP, to establish the new computing or manufacturing and tech bloc to undermine the US dominance), the end game is total world domination and big tech is one of those means to achieve it. Simple terms it's a Good cop bad cop in a simple sense.

Ha ha so many disagree with my proviso comments, one wonders are they even in the EU, if they are they must have taken the kool-aid, for those that "disagree" do you even EU bro?

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution”​

― Aldous Huxley

I'm sure we'll all enjoy our imminent upgrade to "hate speech" or to be more accurate, the EUSSR EOL of freedom of speech for all the gulag.

Sometimes it does feel like Apple resist this but they also seem very much part of the the big ESG love's too, so it's hard to tell.

Didn’t read your wall of text after the first sentence but it’s not like the EU only deemed American companies a gatekeeper. Spotify is one as well and they are Swedish and Samsung South Korean

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Yea WhatsApp is way more adopted, probably because so many are also on Android and it just took off whenever, it was probably pushed, is it owned by facebooK? If so, that's probably why.
WhatsApp wasn't created by Facebook/Meta, just bought by them to limit the competition (and do yet more data collection) as usual. Previously there weren't ads, among other things.

Reactions: Lyrics23

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yes and it's only 25% of whole smart phone segment.

That's sales/shipments for one particular quarter but overall usage is a bit higher. According to Statcounter, the mobile OS share of iOS in Europe is currently around 34% (as high as 38% in the past 12 months) compared to around 66% for Android. By comparison, in the U.S. it's around 57% iOS to around 43% Android. Duopolies in both countries/regions.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Didn’t read your wall of text after the first sentence but it’s not like the EU only deemed American companies a gatekeeper. Spotify is one as well and they are Swedish and Samsung South Korean
You didn't need to preface your reply with such a caveat, because you point makes it obvious. You understand what "strong arm" means, the EUSSR is a strong-arm political bloc, and it's a festering croc at this point and they'll be used to "legally" break into the Apple eco-system (if CCP hasn't already been successful), not the US.

Think Patriot Acts for Tech.

Europeans did't need patriots Acts, becasue it's only the US people's who are fundamentally too free.

That needed to be fixed.

This is more of that fixing. It will never end under the EUSSR/CCP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.