Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Knowing Apple they'll tout how wonderful, convenient and innovative NFC technology is and how it will revolutionize this and that.

Then Phil Schiller will reuse the phrase: "Can't innovate anymore, my ass."

...Meanwhile my Sony camera bloody well has had this technology for the last year.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
would be about time, talk about being behind the curve. not sure when they will discover the microSD card at this pace.

4883191+_3986780f434f11a5ea0dc94a555b705c.jpg

I thought they were avoiding it all together and that was what Passbook was for. I guess not.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Um what, MacRumors? Gruber was making a joke about his earlier joke being taken as a rumor by the press. Are you that desperate for clicks that you're just making stuff up now?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I've always wanted Apple to support NFC, but some people will still complain about how all the fanboys hated NFC until Apple included it. Who cares?

I'm the same way. I've been whining about the lack of iPhone NFC for the past 3 years. Really hoping it'll be on the 6.

:apple:

----------

Knowing Apple they'll tout how wonderful, convenient and innovative NFC technology is and how it will revolutionize this and that.

Then Phil Schiller will reuse the phrase: "Can't innovate anymore, my ass."

...Meanwhile my Sony camera bloody well has had this technology for the last year.

The tech itself definitely isn't revolutionary. However, the way it's implemented and the insanely fast rate at which it will be adopted might be.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
So will Touch ID play a role in how the security is confirmed? If someone stole a phone, I assume they couldn't just start paying for stuff at different locations without some form of security prompt.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
1 step closer to not needing keys or a wallet! iPhone can unlock my door to my car and house. It's a beautiful world, and pocket real estate is at a premium!

this. times a million.

i hate stuff in my pockets. A LOT. if i can unlock my house/car and start my car, AND pay for stuff ALL with my PHONE? Life is Good..

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have said all along Apple will implement it when they have a use im sure all this has taken time. Look at google wallet no one uses that but I bet this will be used farrrr more cause everything was set up properly ahead of time.

Fingerprint reader? Check
Secure enclave? Check
Credit card companies involved? Check
Retailers involved? Check
iPhone with NFC? Check.
Widely accepted mobile payments? CHECK

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Steve Jobs also said having video on an iPod was dumb only a few months before the iPod Video was announced. When will people learn not to take what company representative's say so literally, they are not going to pronounce product features!

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
That didn't seem like much of a "hint." He pretty much just up and said "hey guys it'll have NFC and brick-and-mortar payment options."

Either that or he was being very subtly sarcastic.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I have said all along Apple will implement it when they have a use im sure all this has taken time. Look at google wallet no one uses that but I bet this will be used farrrr more cause everything was set up properly ahead of time.

Fingerprint reader? Check
Secure enclave? Check
Credit card companies involved? Check
Retailers involved? Check
iPhone with NFC? Check.
Widely accepted mobile payments? CHECK
Exactly. Apple has got all the right assets in place. Now with the iPhone 6, Apple should put them to use.

----------

That didn't seem like much of a "hint." He pretty much just up and said "hey guys it'll have NFC and brick-and-mortar payment options."

Either that or he was being very subtly sarcastic.
He wasn't sarcastic.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm fairly sure he's just taking the piss about NFC being included.

and even if it was, how do we know it's for mobile payments. remember the patent about NFC being used for wireless charging.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
So will Touch ID play a role in how the security is confirmed? If someone stole a phone, I assume they couldn't just start paying for stuff at different locations without some form of security prompt.

The way it works on my GS5 for payments is this:

• NFC must be on
  • You must have authenticated with the Google Wallet within 24 hours (it's a PIN)
  • Your phone must be on and unlocked.

So if someone stole your phone, they would have to use your PIN, fingerprint, or swipe image to unlock it, and get your Google Wallet PIN.

It's actually quite easy as Google Wallet also has my loyalty cards so I just open it, have the clerk scan the card and hold my phone at the NFC reader. It rocks!

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I'm fairly sure he's just taking the piss about NFC being included.

and even if it was, how do we know it's for mobile payments. remember the patent about NFC being used for wireless charging.
Wireless charging is boring, payments are huge.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

I thought they were avoiding it all together and that was what Passbook was for. I guess not.

Passbook was an attempt to easily adapt to existing technology (optical scanners) since all it requires is an image on a screen. It's current implementation was never meant to be long term (plus, its use has really been rathe limited so far).

shinichimaki23

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
MR could you stop reporting the garbage said by john gruber? He should be totally banned on MR. Anyone agree with me?

Zudeo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Toronto, ON
All I want is wireless charging.

call it iCharge or whatever and make it Qi compatible...

...and defaults. I'd love me some defaults. I really don't need the 22**xwhatever resolution.. just give me 1080x1920. Maybe some great battery life to boot.

I love Apple's products & services... I really do. But this is the first time I'm considering an Android phone although if I went that way my Apple TVs, iTunes purchases, iM/FT and iTunes Match account would be pretty useless. The LG G3 & the HTC One both have their flaws so I hope this phone knocks it out of the park. :)

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
this. times a million.

i hate stuff in my pockets. A LOT. if i can unlock my house/car and start my car, AND pay for stuff ALL with my PHONE? Life is Good..

I'm not sure if I can handle a 5.5" phone, but I'll be able to justify it a lot more if I don't have to carry around keys and a wallet. I guess I still occasionally need my Drivers License, and things like my medical card, but we're getting closer anyway...

----------

MR could you stop reporting the garbage said by john gruber? He should be totally banned on MR. Anyone agree with me?

I don't follow him closely enough to know why a lot of people seem to hate him. What about the 9-to-5 mac guy? Do people hate everyone not macrumors, or just him specifically?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
100% will have NFC, Apple cutout logo is just for that and also a little antenna boost

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm not sure if I can handle a 5.5" phone, but I'll be able to justify it a lot more if I don't have to carry around keys and a wallet. I guess I still occasionally need my Drivers License, and things like my medical card, but we're getting closer anyway...

If the NFC rumors are true I'm thinking of getting a wallet case like BookBook.. put a couple remaining cards/ID in there, and bam... only 1 thing to carry with me.

:apple:

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

----------

I don't follow him closely enough to know why a lot of people seem to hate him. What about the 9-to-5 mac guy? Do people hate everyone not macrumors, or just him specifically?
Because Gruber gets too political in my opinion.
If you are talking about Mark Gurman from 9 to 5, now he is cool!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
If Apple nails this mobile payment solution and they get a cut of each transaction, that could be huge for Apple's bottom line... and stock price.

It would also be a huge selling point and competitive advantage if it relies on Touch ID as some rumors suggest.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm 100% positive that NFC is only part of the picture. I'm sure they'll leverage iBeacons as well. So you'll just have options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.