Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Its been pratical for years as far as I'm concerned.

I see NFC payments as an option at CVS every one in a while, but that's about it. Every other use for it can be accomplished with airdrop. Hopefully Apple has been rallying some major retailers to participate with mobile payments.

That being said, it makes more sense in the iWatch than a phone.

Last edited:

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
There are lots of cool uses for NFC beyond just payments.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1769487/

:apple:

----------

ROFL... I seriously hope you're joking. NFC has been on non-Apple products in America for years.. and got ZERO traction. No Apple, no NFC adoption in America. Period.

:apple:

Indeed. He is saying it will be the defacto standard without Apple. It is already the defacto standard. If Apple went some other direction, the defacto standard would die. His prediction is easy to make since the NFC rumor is pretty certain and NFC adoption will take off when Apple releases their devices and he can claim to be right.

----------

For crying out loud Macrumors, how can you step into the same pile of dung twice?! It was completely obvious the last time that Gruber was simply speculating and it's completely obvious that he is simply speculating now too.
Iphone 6 may very well have NFC but Grubers post is in no way a leak or is pretending to be one.

When he does leak something he is a lot more straightforward about it like here for example.

You really still have not gone and looked at Gruber's posts in context. It is quite clear he is not lying....

lafram

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
NFC for Apple

NFC for iPhone...cool....NFC for iWatch...REVOLUTIONARY! My "geek-forecast" envisions a day where all you have to do is scan your wrist to purchase items...The iWatch is smart enough to know when it ever comes off your wrists...after all it can be used as a heart monitor for working out and it can communicate to your phone that has your fingerprint. Anyone other than me almost get creeped out by this technology (spooky music)...Mark of the Beast

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Indeed. He is saying it will be the defacto standard without Apple. It is already the defacto standard. If Apple went some other direction, the defacto standard would die. His prediction is easy to make since the NFC rumor is pretty certain and NFC adoption will take off when Apple releases their devices and he can claim to be right.

----------

You really still have not gone and looked at Gruber's posts in context. It is quite clear he is not lying....
yes, I have, several times. I read his blog every day and I read both stories there first and only then saw what Macrumors made of them. It's precisely the context that makes it clear that he is simply speculating. He explicitly said so after the first one blew up the way it did. But it's all water under the bridge now...

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Fools generally view the wise as arrogant. It helps them feel better about themselves. What hurts fools is usually the truth.

Apple will not be bound to your simple idea of 'standards'. They will look at ALL current and potential approaches to NFC and implement the one that is best for them and their customers. They will base their solution on many factors, but whether or not you or anyone else thinks it is 'standard' will not be one of them. They may do something based on interoperable 3rd party standards, like Wifi, or, if there is no standard that works well, they will make their own (lightning). Seeing as NFC to date is a total failure, with a market share of less than 0.1% of all transactions despite being around for many, many years, I'd say Apple will likely be doing things very differently...

Wow. I know you won't care about this way up on your high horse, but this is the most condescending comment I may have ever read on this site. And that is saying something. And it is a shame since you make a good point in the second part of your posts. But, much like I do with Gruber, I will ignore everything you say from here on out due to your method of delivery.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Wow. I know you won't care about this way up on your high horse, but this is the most condescending comment I may have ever read on this site. And that is saying something. And it is a shame since you make a good point in the second part of your posts. But, much like I do with Gruber, I will ignore everything you say from here on out due to your method of delivery.
Fine by me. Gruber has no need for your alliance, indeed, it would distract from worthier activities.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Fine by me. Gruber has no need for your alliance, indeed, it would distract from worthier activities.

Thanks for your time John. Now get back to your blog.

Edit: I just read through some of your recent posts. I am not sure why you waste your time here. You clearly think you are much smarter than everyone here and are consistently rude and curt when replying to others. Perhaps you should find something else to do more worthy of your time.

And I would suggest that others do what I just did and ignore this guy. He is only interested in insulting others to make himself feel superior.

Last edited:

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for your time John. Now get back to your blog.

Edit: I just read through some of your recent posts. I am not sure why you waste your time here. You clearly think you are much smarter than everyone here and are consistently rude and curt when replying to others. Perhaps you should find something else to do more worthy of your time.

And I would suggest that others do what I just did and ignore this guy. He is only interested in insulting others to make himself feel superior.
Dude, the top rated comment on this story is "Good. NFC is long overdue." Tired, old, completely devoid of any insight, and negative in tone. Check out other stories and you will see that the top comments usually have those same attributes. Now I do my best to make comments that fit the tone of this comment board that I feel people will like. Sometimes I miss the mark a little, but overall I'd say I'm doing pretty damn good. I'm gotten many top comments. Now if you want insightful comments written in a respectful manner, I'd suggest that you may wish to look elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.