Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
applekid said:
I really don't expect many product announcements from this one keynote.

Normally I would agree. Though with Apple delaying so many product updates over the last few months, it would hurt them not to announce all that they can.

As to the eMac, I am now thinking that Apple may drop the line if the iMac mini does come out. For they could come out with a 17" EDU only monitor that allows piggybacking of the cpu to the monitor for the EDU market.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
A little O.T., but this Satellite Radio iPod thing is confusing me...

Do the rumours point to this being built-in or as an accessory? Last I heard (IIRC), just over 50% of Apple's sales are outside the US. XM, et al... are US only I believe.

I guess I need to do some reading on how satellite radio works in the US[*]. If it's just standard satellite signals, perhaps the 96 free-to-air stations on Astra 2D (using the UK's Sky network) would also be available? I'm presuming not, unless it only works when pointing the iPod at 28.2degE :) What about the 30+ DAB stations broadcast from terrestrial transmitters? (IIRC, the DAB standard is similar across many European nations).

Either way, with analogue radio looking to be discontinued in the UK in 2010-ish, an FM tuner wouldn't be good in the near future.

Surely making iPod hardware which is region-specific would raise manufacturing costs and complicate inventory.

[*] Just looked at the How It Works Flash presentation at the xmradio website. About as uninformatve as it's possible to be: "Look! We use Satellites! And they're Powerful! And See: You can put a radio in your House! And your Car! Oooo! Send Us Money! All said by a voiceover woman who talks so slowly it sounds like someone's slipped a sleeping pill in her mineral water....

Grr. Hopefully google can tell me more...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
vollspacken said:
I think they'll be rebranded Bose speakers...

Maybe so. They'll have to be a lot better looking than the Bose Sound Dock to deserve an Apple logo though.

Thomas S

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Ok, this is my first post here and I don't want to sound really negative here, but...

Bose isn't exactly an expert. They are, in actuality, a low-grade, overpriced, brand with low quality and poor components.

Bose is a company that lives off its marketing. Very few, if any, high quality speaker companies can afford the thousands of TV, magazine, and other ads Bose has put out. This alone is why they are considered the finest in the audio world by the uninformed. You will very rarely find their specs for their speakers every published. In fact, Bose sued Speaker Builder magazine for publishing the specifications of a bandpass enclosure that Bose claimed infringed on their patents. Most of those who read Speaker Builder consider this suit unjustified, and many still hold a grudge against Bose accordingly. Everyone knows that this was a bunch of bull that only a self-serving lawyer from Bose could do. (No offense to lawyers out there).

In the example that hits closest to home, after a student posted a negative opinion about Bose on the internet, Bose wrote a letter of complaint and, as a result, the student was called before the Dean, fortunately with no adverse consequences.

In the industry, "BOSE" is considered an acronym for "Buy Other Sound Equipment."

Apple wouldn't have the balls to rebrand Bose equipment. Apple means quality in the eyes of many. This would be a step backward.

To sum it all up companies like Monster Cable and Bose don't have any actual products that stand on their own merits - all they have is a name garnered through aggressive marketing. They are essentially litigation companies, that without a name have nothing.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
http://irace.net/joeblog/000110.html
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=343759&bose

There are tons of others. Of course Monster Cable is no different....

http://www.snowmonsters.com/monstercable/
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...hive/2004/11/08/BUG1J9N3C61.DTL&type=business
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=487733&bose

I'll be honest with you, this isn't the kind of post I'd like to be my first around here. However, I feel that people should realize that, dollar for dollar, every item Bose manufactures is junk compared to other items at the same, sometimes even less, price. You can do better. In reference to the docks, I think the JBL would be the best, just judging from past experience with the brands involved.

If Apple were to join with anyone, I'd pray to god it was Altec Lansing or JBL....

Hopefully I've shed some light on Bose...

Also, I've quoted some information from sources I've cited.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Bose make insanely great products

Thomas_S said:
I feel that people should realize that, dollar for dollar, every item Bose manufactures is junk compared to other items at the same, sometimes even less, price.

Do you have an agenda against Bose? It looks like you have spent a few hours putting together a case against the company, as if they have wronged you in some way. If you are employed by a competitor then you should say so and if you are not then you certainly sound like you are.

Bose did for hi-fi audio what Apple did for computers; they made all-in-one systems that were better than the sum of their parts. Sure you can buy components and put together a technically superior hi-fi but a Bose system will sound great out of the one box. Bose also have some unique technologies that allow them to design speakers that are much smaller than they sound. They also have their own style which cheaper systems try to imitate.

If you want to read specifications then there are countless audio companies that will cater to your needs. Bose are for people who want great sound without the complexity of a component system.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Sol said:
Do you have an agenda against Bose? It looks like you have spent a few hours putting together a case against the company, as if they have wronged you in some way. If you are employed by a competitor then you should say so and if you are not then you certainly sound like you are.

Bose did for hi-fi audio what Apple did for computers; they made all-in-one systems that were better than the sum of their parts. Sure you can buy components and put together a technically superior hi-fi but a Bose system will sound great out of the one box. Bose also have some unique technologies that allow them to design speakers that are much smaller than they sound. They also have their own style which cheaper systems try to imitate.

If you want to read specifications then there are countless audio companies that will cater to your needs. Bose are for people who want great sound without the complexity of a component system.

I'm by no means an audiophile, but I've heard many, many people (who certainly aren't audio snobs, but whose opinion I trust) say that Bose have lost their edge. They have the benefit of a very recognisable brand name, and a big marketing budget. However, they're certainly outclassed by other less expensive brands.

Check out some Tannoys for example. Good technical heritage, value for money and nicely designed.

Thomas S

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Well Sol, it was about 20 minutes....
(This took about 15)

You want the small profile speakers? There are dozens of other companies
that manufacture better speakers for the same, or less price.

Tannoy
KEF
Energy

Oh heck, heres a link...

http://www.intellexual.net/speaker5.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/htib-roundup-intro-12-2003.html

Sol, please do not compare Apple to Bose. That's foolish. The Apple products are good, high quality. Now while I do agree that the iPod has been promoted nearly to the point of Bose, one must admit that it all has good build quality. Bose does not.

Sol, I am not employed by a different company. However, this is a viewpoint shared by thousands of audio experts and audiophiles. You get what you pay for in some cases, certaintly not with Bose. People aspire to own Bose, even though it costs less than you could imagine to manufacture.

As for their own technology? Yeah, right....

BOSE AND THE PATENT SYSTEM:

To quote from Michael Wong, a visitor to this site: "...a casual perusal of their website reveals that they have used money and lawyers to repeatedly abuse the patent system. They have patents for the Acoutimass (Helmholtz resonator), the Direct/Reflecting technology (multipolar speakers), their Acoustic Waveguide (transmission line), and their JewelCube technology (amalgam of transmission line and other old ideas). In each and every case, their patent is a joke; an obvious example of the all-too-common trick of making one minor alteration upon a pre-existing idea and then using an army of lawyers to get it patented... And why all the bother? Because it looks good to write "patented technology" on the box...". For a company that emphasizes cutting-edge research so much, I'm curious as to why their flagship 901 speakers have not seen any signigicant mechanical changes in the last 15 years. Where is the "better sound through research" going?

Their technology has been in use for decades, before Bose repackaged it. It's a well known fact in audio forums, and with audiophiles. They claim that their research allows them to do so much, but they spend more on marketing than all the high-end audio companies combined together.

Don't be fooled by the hype, and popularity. For instance, we use macs. Now, going by the logic set forth, they're inferior because they're not as popular. Why, let's ditch and go to Windows/Bose!!!

Also, many home theater in a box systems(ugh!)actually sound better. Many in the $500 range. I linked to a variety of systems up top.

How about when they sued Consumer Reports for a rating of 62/100 for 'unscientific testing' when they used a double blind test, perhaps the most neutral one could get. They lost, but still instilled a sense of fear in reviewers....

Again, I don't want to erupt a flame fest, or get in a pissing contest. Hopefully this doesn't go that way and remains civil.

Off topic: Chip, do you use Leica equipment?

CTerry

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
Doctor Q said:
How interesting, a "Battle of the Speakers". Where at apple.com are there links to this page?
It may be found in Apples shiny new Online iPod Store.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If Apple does decide to enter the speaker market they will be of high quality. Personally I will be surprised if they enter the market.

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
Re-branding, not "making".

IMHO, it would be rather stupid, time consuming, and expensive for Apple to "make" it's own line of speakers. Rather, I think Apple will re-brand the speakers of an already respected brand. IIRC, Apple's "Pro Speakers" used Harman Kardon guts.

McVicar

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
iPod Speakers -- iPAL Reborn?

In my opinion, the Henry Kloss/Tivoli PAL is the best-sounding, best-made self-powered portable speaker out there. It is also marketed as the iPAL in White & Silver to match the iPod. I noticed the other day at the local Apple Store that it was no longer in stock. Coincidence?

My hope/guess/hunch/prediction is that Apple has commissioned Kloss/Tivoli to make a Pod-specific version of the PAL, sold under the Apple brand as a stereo pair, without the radio but with an integral dock and USB. Price $199.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
slingshot

corywoolf said:
not all will be announced...
slingshot is actually a remote control for airtunes and keynote 2.0

That is really cool. What a great idea.

Wait - really cool would be a touch screen remote that can sync via the AE and have a listing of all the songs and playlists in iTunes. Then you could use the remote to do almost everything that you can do in iTunes.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
There are some serious things contradicting apple releasing iPod speakers. For one, they've never really entered the speaker market, their only stand alone the propritary iMac g4 speakers. Apple comissioned Bose, JBL, and Altec Lansing for all the iPod speakers, and made contracts of exclusivity to sell only to them for a time. Why do this is they were planning on releasing their own? It's not making sense.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
jimsowden said:
There are some serious things contradicting apple releasing iPod speakers. For one, they've never really entered the speaker market, their only stand alone the propritary iMac g4 speakers. Apple comissioned Bose, JBL, and Altec Lansing for all the iPod speakers, and made contracts of exclusivity to sell only to them for a time. Why do this is they were planning on releasing their own? It's not making sense.

They could license speaker technology or I don't think it's beyond Apple to invent their own speakers. They could forego speakers and have sound emanating from the case, if so be it. Not nearly as impossible as one may think.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I was at my local Apple Store today. It was amazing to see all the variations of speaker that the store offers for the iPod and Mac. Won't be easy to improve the current offerings.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I've looked in some of the audiophile magazines and you wouldn't believe some speakers cost $20,000 each. Crazy stuff.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Audiophilles are suckers

Sir_Giggles said:
I've looked in some of the audiophile magazines and you wouldn't believe some speakers cost $20,000 each. Crazy stuff.

Fortunately for the companies that make these speakers and components, there are thousands of gullible rich guys who would pay for their over-priced products. So-called 'audiophilles' think that they are some kind of authority on hi-fi because they subscribe to magazines that put sand-filled speakers stands and rubber balls on their covers (stop those warmth-spoiling vibrations) but the sad truth is that they are snobs with more money than sense. They claim to hear things that mere mortals do not but they usually have the most dull taste in music; namelly, Jazz, Opera and Sting.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
jimsowden said:
For one, they've never really entered the speaker market, their only stand alone the propritary iMac g4 speakers.
I believe those speakers were harman/kardon speakers, (re)packaged by Apple.

See here.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Platform said:
Those speaker would notbe able to fit in the iMac
we are talking about those speakers. THe ones under the iMac G5 are nothing noteworthy. (bad, bad pun)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.