Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Sorry, but I don't see much difference between this and Google (Alphabet), Cisco, Microsoft, etc, working WITH China to spy on, harass, and prosecute their own people.

It will be interesting to see which companies are fine with this as long as they can still make money. Capitalism IS the weakest link.
[automerge]1575383319[/automerge]
If major tech companies like Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. all just simply refuse to sell their products in Russia as a result of this legislation I have a feeling the legislation would disappear very quickly.

You don't know Russia. They will try to make their own goods, and retreat farther into the black hole of isolationism. That would be a bad thing, but I don't have any idea how to fight it. It's sad...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wowmail

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
As a Russian I can say this:

First, Apple already hardly operates in Russia - for example, there is not a single Apple store here at all, all the phones are sold through third-party resellers.

Second, it's typical for the Russian government to pass completely retarded laws and then roll them back because, well, of their sheer stupidity.

For example:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarovaya_law
A law that would require mobile operators to keep ALL DATA that goes through Russian phones on their servers, which would result in a threefold (!!!) increase of mobile services prices. A sheer madness of a legislation that was passed and then quickly rolled back.

Similarly, when Telegram refused to provide the encryption keys to the Russian government, it started blocking ALL the websites and DNS servers linked to telegram - Google servers, Amazon servers, Google itself (!), which hilariously resulted in around 10% of Russian online stores and tons of websites getting blocked for no reason, but not telegram itself.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ocks_google_aws_ip_addresses_to_get_telegram/
Needless to say, all this was quickly rolled back and Telegram is as operational as ever.

So I would actually prefer Apple to officially say they would not operate under such laws, as I believe the public indignation will quickly bring them back.

Last edited:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Meanwhile, they bend to China's demand that allows people to be imprisoned or killed with little to no cause.

Too bad Russia doesn't build any of their stuff, then they'd follow the money and just comply and then defend the decision to comply!

Apple is lost.
How much money does the market which is against our principles generate? This is the one question which decides how those principles are applied. Apple are two faced hypocrites such that I simply refuse to ever by a Mac Pro from them.
[automerge]1575383525[/automerge]
As a Russian I can say this:

First, Apple already hardly operates in Russia - for example, there is not a single Apple store here at all, all the phones are sold through third party resellers.

Second, its typical for the Russian government to pass completely retarded laws and then roll them back because, well, of their sheer stupidity.
Can you educate us on who actually drives these law changes? Is it Putin or some other individual in the government who has the agenda?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Pull out of China, Russia, Saudi and every other dictatorship... If every company did this we’d probably be living in a better world today, but money is all that matters.
I'm not sure that this is true. Devices that can connect to the internet like the ones that Apple and other major tech companies sell can give people living under a dictatorship access to information outside of the constant wave of propaganda that they are subjected to if they can get their hands on them. For instance, China can't quietly try and force the people of Hong Kong to submit to them. Thanks to these devices the entire world is watching.

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC

Russian President Vladimir Putin today signed new legislation requiring all smartphones, computers, and smart TVs sold in the country to come pre-installed with Russian software, reports Reuters.

app-store-iphones.jpg

Proponents of the law claim it will help Russian developers better compete with foreign tech firms. The legislation has also been pitched as a way of sparing consumers from having to download software after purchasing a new device.

Electronic retailers have already criticized the law, which is due to come into force on July 1 next year, and say the legislation was adopted without consulting them. The law has also sparked fears that Russia could use the pre-installed apps as a way to spy on its citizens.

It's still unclear how tech companies will react to the news, although Apple has previously threatened to pull out of the Russian market if a complete ban on selling its products without pre-installed apps was introduced, Russian media reported earlier this year.

Responding to today's news of the law, an unnamed Apple source reportedly told the Kommersant business daily: "A mandate to add third-party applications to Apple's ecosystem would be equivalent to jailbreaking. It would pose a security threat, and the company cannot tolerate that kind of risk."

According to The Moscow Times, the government will draw up a list of software which tech companies will need to pre-install, and a list of the devices covered by the law, expected to include computers, tablets and smart TVs alongside mobile phones.

The Russian government has cracked down on internet freedoms in recent years, including requiring messaging services to share encryption keys with security services and social networks to store user data on servers in the country.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Calls New Russian Smartphone Sales Legislation 'Equivalent to Jailbreaking'

A heavy-handed Russian response to things. China has other ways to collect and control data. They don't need to do this. The Chinese market for Apple's products is far larger, as well, so it would be easier for Apple to give Russia the finger than it would for China.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I'm not sure that this is true. Devices that can connect to the internet like the ones that Apple and other major tech companies sell can give people living under a dictatorship access to information outside of the constant wave of propaganda that they are subjected to if they can get their hands on them. For instance, China can't quietly try and force the people of Hong Kong to submit to them. Thanks to these devices the entire world is watching.
Unfortunately we are under a constant wave of propaganda that comes from Russia through social media via repost from sites like RT.com (Russian Times) and within from the top of our government.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Looking at the plus side: official jailbreak for iPhones!

No. I can see why Apple would not do this; people would be able to work around the problems / restrictions of the latest software update...

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Honestly, Russia isn't that big of a country for this to matter.

People think Russia is like China. It's not, it's far more like Italy.

Apple pulling out of Russia would be a power move and a worthwhile tactic, IMHO.

With the exception of Moscow, most of Russia is kind of a back water.

The amount of sales lost would be minuscule. Apple has to decide if it's worth doing this from a technical standpoint, and the other reasons are sort of busy work. Russia could become a source for factory jailbroken phones. I don't think Apple would like that.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Russia has recently talked about disconnecting itself from the world Internet, kind of having their own "intranet" like North Korea does. Russia's technology market will wither and die when/if that happens.
One could hope it would subside some of the Twitter bot meddling, and deep fakes?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
If major tech companies like Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. all just simply refuse to sell their products in Russia as a result of this legislation I have a feeling the legislation would disappear very quickly.
if that happens then russia would rely on huawei 100%, top 5 phone makers 3 of them are chinese, pretty sure the chinese companies are poised to replace western companies if there is a chance.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Pull out of China, Russia, Saudi and every other dictatorship... If every company did this we’d probably be living in a better world today, but money is all that matters.

This is Tim's Apple. He'll even chase the 2 cents saved by removing the spare tip from the Apple Pencil. No chance he walks away from a single Russian sale when he has his "just complying with local laws" excuse ready to go.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As long as these apps have been properly approved for distribution via Apple's App Store, I don't see a problem with Apple devices having a folder with a few legally required apps pre-installed in it, with it being easy for the customer to uninstall/remove them.

Or maybe even just make installing them part of the first-time user set up... one of the questions will be "Do you want your national apps installed? They can be easily installed later and are not required for your device to function properly."

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Apple should abandon the Russian market. It protects their corporate image, and they won't lose any sales - the Russians will simply expand their iPhone black market, just like everything else there. As far as the leadership goes in Russia, their just a bunch of thugs.

Reactions: djviy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.