Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
So power consumption is nowhere near what Nvidia haters told us. It consumes about equal or less power than 3090, in some cases less than 3080, all while being more powerful. Avg. power consumption in gaming is 346W, so less than 3080Ti, 3090 and 3090Ti.

Here's my problem with it though... I can't fit two 4090s in my darn case as it seems... I was set on getting two of these. So either I have to look for water cooled versions and have to upgrade radiators or I settle for one 4090 or two 4080s... I really wanted 48GB, but that seems difficult now. Or wait and see how the RTX6000 Ada does which comes with 48GB... decisions, decisions.
Is there any real point to getting two beyond bragging rights? SLI is dead and there's no NVLink on the 4000 series so they'd basically operate as two independent cards. Maybe useful for some ML workflows I guess...

Reactions: Irishman

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Is there any real point to getting two beyond bragging rights? SLI is dead and there's no NVLink on the 4000 series so they'd basically operate as two independent cards. Maybe useful for some ML workflows I guess...
How much benefit there is depends entirely how well developers support it. The gaming industry hates dual GPU setups, there is little to no point. If you do simulations or ML content, more memory is always welcome. 24GB isn't really much, that's what the Titans RTX has and I have simple models requiring more than that. A RTX8000 with 48GB works better, but that's not a good gaming or 3D graphics cards, they're really meant for compute. It isn't an endgame card, but it's good enough for small to mid sized things on a desktop. Take Nvidia Isaac Sim for example, Nvidia recommend 48GB VRAM for ideal performance on small projects. They recommend more than 64GB RAM and 48GB VRAM for advanced projects.

So I was looking to have the cake and eat it too. Excellent gaming performance and enough VRAM for basic simulations/compute. If all you want to do is play games, don't bother. Just get a single 4090 or maybe a 4080 (not seen benchmarks for it yet).

Reactions: Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.