Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I am considering getting apple care for my 12 pro max, however I never had apple care for any of my previous iPhones and they did just fine as I tend to care a lot. However, it is also true that none of my previous iPhones were as expensive as this one. Are there any good counter arguments as to why apple care is pointless? Anybody had any experiences?

My understanding is that apple care is £199 for 2 years, or £10 per month for as long as you want to have it. I would go for the monthly payments, as I have been told that I can cancel the monthly subscriptions at any point.. but for instance, let's say I had my iPhone replaced 5 months into apple care and then at the 6th month I decided to not carry on with apple care and cancel my subscription, basically all that is paid by then is £50 (5 months x £10) and have a replaced iPhone.. that replaced iPhone is fully mine correct? It's not like apple could come at me and expect me to pay the rest of the money or whatever the repair/replacement would have costed me without apple care, correct?
Also, I know the iPhones they replace it with are not a new devices but rather old working components in a new outer shell/body ..so anyone that had their replaced, did you notice any scratches or signs of usage when?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
If you can guarantee yourself that you won’t drop your phone, then it isn’t worth it. ?

Problem is no one can guarantee that won’t happen.. ?

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
If you can guarantee yourself that you won’t drop your phone, then it isn’t worth it. ?

Problem is no one can guarantee that won’t happen.. ?
Exactly, the risk is high ?but is it worth that much money??

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Exactly, the risk is high ?but is it worth that much money??
No one can answer that question other than you. To me it is worth it if nothing else than give me peace of mind. A screen replacement for the 12 Pro Max is $329 out of warranty. I also like that with AppleCare+, they offer express replacement, Apple will send another iPhone and you send back yours when you receive the replacement. The monthly subscription AppleCare+ is a nice option if you keep the phone longer than 2 years.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I never bought it but I’ve only used small phones which I’ve yet to drop and break. I tried a big phone for awhile and dropped it a lot, so ifI had a pro Max I would either get Apple care or a really good case.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
If you paid for your phone with a credit card, the credit card might extend the warranty on your phone. Most VISA and AMEX credit cards extended the warranty another year. Citi VISA extends the warranty an extra 2 years.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Every case is unique. In my case, I purchased the iphone SE Gen 2 for less than $300 and can't justify the cost / benefit of Apple Care on that dollar amount.

I think true Apple heads tend to justify almost everything Apple. My take is the Apple Care is more margin and not necessary if protecting the phone with glass and a case,

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
It may be cheaper to add electronic insurance to your normal insurence and then have all your electronics covered. For me Apple care is not worth it in my country.

Reactions: Barbareren

phido

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
It also depends on if you use a (good) case or not. I’ve dropped my phone many times with a case and never needed to send it to Apple.

If naked then I’d get apple care. With a case I’d skip it.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
Well I always buy AC+ even if I dont drop them often, mainly because it extends the warranty shall the phone experience hardware defects past the one year mark.

Reactions: DevinNj

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Thankfully we don’t have that issue here in Europe as we get 24 months for hardware defects.
So do we but doesn’t cover accidents, have had a iPhone 7 and a 11“ iPad Pro and a smart folio case replaced for $0 this year, would have had to pay 2 x excess payments with my house insurance and they up your payment.
Rather deal direct with Apple they both arrived in a few days.

Also had my iMac 27” screen replaced in my home near the end of the 3rd year. Guy drove 4 hours to do it.
Lucky I got AC when I bought it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So do we but doesn’t cover accidents, have had a iPhone 7 and a 11“ iPad Pro and a smart folio case replaced for $0 this year, would have had to pay 2 x excess payments with my house insurance and they up your payment.
Rather deal direct with Apple they both arrived in a few days.

Also had my iMac 27” screen replaced in my home near the end of the 3rd year. Guy drove 4 hours to do it.
Lucky I got AC when I bought it.
The post I responded to mentioned hardware defects not accidents.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I have never gotten AC with any of my Apple purchases and I've never had a problem. On phones I just slap on a case with a screen protector. Never had any damage to speak of even after sliding out of a pocket a time or two.

I also use a case with my iPads. And with all my Apple devices I try to be very careful when using them. Remember, Apple doesn't offer you Apple Care just because they're nice guys and all (which I am sure they are and stuff). They primarily offer it to make $$. Like most other insurance policies.

If the cost is worth it to you for piece of mind, then go for it. I'd rather save my money and spend it or save it for something else.

Reactions: Barbareren

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Personally i think it’s only worth it if you go caseless a lot of the time. All my devices are covered via home insurance and so far knock on wood never had to claim for a number of years.

that said it’s peace of mind and now seeing as my air pods pro are basically broke and no sound when both are in my ears the cost for out of warranty or non apple care the cost is basically the same as buying brand new which I’ve had to do.

Rodneyp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
I get it for my iPads, but with my phones it is cheaper for me to get the carrier insurance. I only carry the insurance for lost/theft I think it includes an extended warranty but it is only 6.50 a month.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I use it. As a just in case. I like it better than what Verizon has to offer.

If you can afford the cost of any needed repairs yourself, and don't mind jumping through the hoops involved with that process, then no it's probably not worth it.

If you're a clumsy person, or a thrill seeking, adrenaline junkie who has their phone strapped to themselves while living the wild life, well maybe...

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I got the plain Apple care for iPhone 12 (AppleCare Protection Plan) which is basically 1 year extended warranty for $60 in my country. Tried to get it for Wife’s 12 but Apple customer care told that plan is discontinued last year. ?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.