Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I see a lot of people in various threads (especially the case or no case threads) that they are getting Apple Care+. I'm surprised by this. While it's a better value than it used to be, I still feel like it's a total hedge on the chance of damaging the phone (or losing/theft in the case of the expanded coverage). The amount paid for coverage plus deductible is not negligible and if not used, that money is sunk.

I've had iPhones since the second version, upgrading usually every other year and in that time I have only damaged one phone when I forgot to take it out of my pocket and jumped in the pool (before they were waterproof). I don't feel like I am overly cautious with the phone though I do keep it in a minimalist case or better at all times (mainly because it grips better). I would've spent a ton of money for nothing over the years if I got Apple Care+ every time I got a new phone. That said, I can afford to replace/fix my phone if something does happen so maybe that lessens the value for me?

Why do you feel like you get value out of it? Also, please don't perceive this as judgmental, just trying to understand other points of view.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Well you’ve literally just described all insurance ever 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s the entire purpose of it. Just in case.

I got a complete replacement for $100 via AppleCare+ few months ago after a parking lot drop left it pretty scuffed up. So if you want to add the $13.49 per month, considering I’ve had it since the 13 Pro launch, that’s still less than $400 to replace a $1,200 phone.

If you don’t see the value there, I don’t know what else to say.

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
I get applecare on everything I get. Some things haven't used it and some have. Overall I am way up on the amount I have saved having it compared to paying max repair price over all the years.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
I think it is more the peace of mind so that you don’t need to baby your phone. Apple wouldn’t sell it if they didn’t make money on it. It is the primary item in the Apple services revenue, which is a big part of their business.

My primary iPhone and primary iPad are the only items I ever take any sort of extended warranty out on. I know it is a bad deal, but reduces anxiety. :)

Reactions: compwiz1202

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Well you’ve literally just described all insurance ever 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s the entire purpose of it. Just in case.

I got a complete replacement for $100 via AppleCare+ few months ago after a parking lot drop left it pretty scuffed up. So if you want to add the $13.49 per month, considering I’ve had it since the 13 Pro launch, that’s still less than $400 to replace a $1,200 phone.

If you don’t see the value there, I don’t know what else to say.
I mean, I feel like for most people who aren't very prone to breaking their phone, they could be saving that money they would've spent on AC+ and if they happened to need it after 3 or 4 years, they would likely have the money to just pay for it and if not, it keeps growing.

People carry insurance on cars and houses because those are very expensive items compared to phones and with cars, I think there's a good portion of the population who would not carry insurance at all if not required. In fact, there are people driving around without insurance already haha

Is that the first year you carried the insurance and first time you've needed it?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I mean, I feel like for most people who aren't very prone to breaking their phone, they could be saving that money they would've spent on AC+ and if they happened to need it after 3 or 4 years, they would likely have the money to just pay for it and if not, it keeps growing.

People carry insurance on cars and houses because those are very expensive items compared to phones and with cars, I think there's a good portion of the population who would not carry insurance at all if not required. In fact, there are people driving around without insurance already haha

Is that the first year you carried the insurance and first time you've needed it?
And the cost is much less than car insurance.

I’ve been doing AppleCare since the 11 or 12, can’t remember. But I never use a case, so I’m not as worried about having to pay full price for a new phone. I’ve dropped all of my phones plenty of times, but this was the first one that actually left noticeable marks. The steel was scuffed pretty badly in multiple spots, and the screen had scratches you could feel (that was the part that I couldn’t stand). So this was the first time I got a replacement.

Bonus: battery health back to 100% too, which was down to like 88% or something before.

You say you “can afford” to easily replace you $1,000+ phone, which makes it sound like you don’t need to worry too much about money in general, so why is such a small monthly amount such a big deal to you?

No one is making you buy phone insurance. But on the off chance you need a replacement, you’ll be glad you have it.

Reactions: AppleEnthusiast1995

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
You say you “can afford” to easily replace you $1,000+ phone, which makes it sound like you don’t need to worry too much about money in general, so why is such a small monthly amount such a big deal to you?
Because more than likely, it will be money spent that I get no value from. Even people with money don't like throwing it away. I just like to try to maximize my bang for buck - I am not rich by any stretch but also no one would say I am poor. Again, just trying to understand why some people opt for AC+ and the replies thus far are helpful in that regard.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Because more than likely, it will be money spent that I get no value from. Even people with money don't like throwing it away. I just like to try to maximize my bang for buck - I am not rich by any stretch but also no one would say I am poor. Again, just trying to understand why some people opt for AC+ and the replies thus far are helpful in that regard.
The only time it was worth it for me was when the original new design of the iPad Pro’s came out with the bend gate. I managed to get 3 replacements, as bent it 3 times.

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have AC+ on my iPad and MBA. I don't put either of those in a case or use screen protectors, because I don't like either. 2 years ago I sat my iPad Pro on the ground and it simply fell forward breaking the screen. That's a $500 repair. Could I have afforded it, sure, no problem. But then AC+ was still far cheaper.

I was carrying my MBP from one room to the next a few years back, all I did was catch the door frame and dented the side of it. Got a new one with AC.

As already said, insurance isn't for when, it's for if. It's gambling. You regret having it when you never use it and regret not having it when your device is broken.

You do you.

Appltsla

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
Actually, apple care+ is way more expensive than a car, home, or jewel insurance.

Apple care+ is around 10% of the phone's value every year if you want to get equivalent theft/loss coverage.

For car insurance, if you exclude 3rd party coverage which is not really for your own car, it's usually 1-2% of the value of your car per year.

Same for other insurances such as eg. jewel/watch insurance which is at around 0.5-1% of the item's value a year.

In comparison, apple care+ is a ridiculous rip off.

MiamitoKeyWest

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Aside from the obvious savings if you lose/smash/have it stolen, even once; you have a few other add ons:

24/7 PEACE OF MIND :)
24/7 chat for all warranty and non warranty tasks/repairs/swaps
Never ever having to go into a store for anything
Self service replacements for the (now) cable, but previously any accessories that came with it
Overnighting you your (thing) first, free express replacement included for the 2 years
Double limited warranty
Can get prorated refund
If you sell, adds value to package

I've found that things possibly not covered under their TOS have been with AC+ and AC+ LT that might not have otherwise; one time I sent in literal pieces of a phone - completely destroyed/shattered into shards - and they sent a replacement for $100 (their own docs said pieces dont qualify, and the person didnt have loss/theft at that time)

Last edited:
Reactions: ScubaCinci

AppleEnthusiast1995

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2022
I am heavily debating this as well. I have dropped my older 11 a ton of times but it never broke. I now own a 15 pro and am scared i will break it. I almost wanna do the 9.99 a month to soften the blow even if it may be more expensive long term.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
I am heavily debating this as well. I have dropped my older 11 a ton of times but it never broke. I now own a 15 pro and am scared i will break it. I almost wanna do the 9.99 a month to soften the blow even if it may be more expensive long term.
Could definitely make the case of getting it month to month for the first few months, where the iPhone value is the highest, and replacement is the most difficult.

Reactions: AppleEnthusiast1995

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 8.02.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 8.02.51 PM.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: kupkakez

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
I buy apple care theft and loss, use a screen protector, and have a good case. It’s peace of mind. I used it when my phone slipped out of my hand on a highway and I didn’t realize it until it was far too late. I also used it when I ended up dropping it just right and breaking the camera housing.

I can afford to buy the new phone, doesn’t mean I want to buy one. I’d rather spend $2-$300 and know I’m cost contained if something happens.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I buy AppleCare+ for every Apple device I purchase. I like having the peace of mind in case something happens. The type of job I have, I’m glad to have AppleCare+ and a screen protector and case. I don’t have the time to spend time in an Apple Store trying to get said device fixed. Earlier this year, my 14PM stopped charging. Apple replaced the entire device free of charge. Without AppleCare+, I would’ve had to pay full price for another device. People may regret paying for it when they don’t use it, but I know they are thankful to have it when something go wrong.

Zayway86

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
I only buy AppleCare on new MacBooks, and even then I sometimes skip it. When it comes to iPhones, it's not worth it to me based on my own experience. I've never cracked a screen or had a bad drop that damaged the phone, nor have I ever damaged the phone in some other way. The thought of giving Apple even more money for something I likely won't ever use disgusts me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.