Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveoGa

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Columbus GA
Actually, apple care+ is way more expensive than a car, home, or jewel insurance.

Apple care+ is around 10% of the phone's value every year if you want to get equivalent theft/loss coverage.

For car insurance, if you exclude 3rd party coverage which is not really for your own car, it's usually 1-2% of the value of your car per year.

Same for other insurances such as eg. jewel/watch insurance which is at around 0.5-1% of the item's value a year.

In comparison, apple care+ is a ridiculous rip off.

You make a valid point, but I’m not sure the coverage is the exactly same. Can you buy automobile insurance that will give you a new car if you somehow lose your current one?

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I see a lot of people in various threads (especially the case or no case threads) that they are getting Apple Care+. I'm surprised by this. While it's a better value than it used to be, I still feel like it's a total hedge on the chance of damaging the phone (or losing/theft in the case of the expanded coverage). The amount paid for coverage plus deductible is not negligible and if not used, that money is sunk.

I've had iPhones since the second version, upgrading usually every other year and in that time I have only damaged one phone when I forgot to take it out of my pocket and jumped in the pool (before they were waterproof). I don't feel like I am overly cautious with the phone though I do keep it in a minimalist case or better at all times (mainly because it grips better). I would've spent a ton of money for nothing over the years if I got Apple Care+ every time I got a new phone. That said, I can afford to replace/fix my phone if something does happen so maybe that lessens the value for me?

Why do you feel like you get value out of it? Also, please don't perceive this as judgmental, just trying to understand other points of view.

You need to use AppleCare+ at least two times within 2 years just to even it out in most of the cases. I would say Apple wins this gamble 99% of the time.

Reactions: Bstephens

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Had numerous iPhone models including the original iPhone and I've NEVER had an AC for them and never broke or even cosmetically damaged a phone. Knock on wood. All that money saved probably paid for two iPhones by now.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
For me AC+ is a no-brainer. It's pretty cheap for what it's worth and I don't have to worry about any potential damage to my phone as I can easily get it replaced.

Broken screen? Doesn't matter. Shattered glass? Doesn't matter. Dead battery? Don't care. IMO it's about peace of mind that whenever something goes south I just get a new phone without any headache or considerable cost.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have never purchased any Apple Care for any of my Apple devices. Never needed it and I now figure that even if the worst happens I will still be ahead, financially.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
While I've never damaged any iPhone dating back to the iPhone 4, I now always buy AC+ with theft and loss, got the monthly plan for my 15 Pro Max. Not so much due to risk of damage, but risk of theft. I use my iPhone for work and life on a daily basis and don't own multiple phones. The iPhone has become just as important as my office PC, can't function without it. Because I live and work in Chicago, sadly, you just never know when a robbery or worse will occur. If I get jacked and the scumbags want my phone, go ahead. Assuming I'm not dead I'll remotely wipe it and get an express replacement. Wish I was joking...this is reality here unfortunately.

Probably can also use my homeowners insurance policy but AC+ is just easier.

I'm amazed at how cavalier people are just walking around the city, loosely carrying their iPhones and wearing AirPods Max or Pros without a care in the world. I never wear my APP while walking and rarely take out my phone.

Last edited:

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
First year I'm having AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss.
Never needed it either, since I'm very careful with my phones.

But... just to be sure I wanted some insurance. And since AppleCare can be paid per month now (since when actually?)...
I think it holds more value than a regular insurance

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’ve been thinking long and hard about it but decided to just stick with my home insurance in case anything happens. It’s £104 for the basic plan and think it’s an extra £60 to cover away from the home. Far cheaper than apple care. Granted it may take longer but far cheaper and it covers everything you own.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
AppleCare+ depends on your finances and risk tolerance. I don't buy it on my phones, because if I did happen to really break or destroy a phone, I can afford to purchase another at full price, without much thought. I also have a backup phone (company-issued se 2022). I've had iPhones since 2009 and have never broken or damaged one.

I do buy it for my MacBooks. While I could buy another no problem, they are crazy expensive, and it would sting a lot more. I haven't needed it with my M1 Air, but my 2012 MBP had to constantly have the internal HDD cable replaced, so it was nice to have...It was a known problem, according to the Geniuses, and Apple later made a modification to the cable, and it stopped failing; later I changed it myself once AppleCare expired.

Do what finically works for you.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
“On average” / “In the long run,” it’s always cheaper to self-insure. That this is so is trivially demonstrated by the fact that the insurance companies are profitable.

Which means that insurance is ultimately a service, not a financial instrument.

The service that Apple provides with AppleCare+ is superlative. And while the service does, yes cost money, it easily falls into the “pocket change” category — many people spend half as much per day on sugary coffee drinks as they do per month on AppleCare+.

Further, while self-insurance is always cheaper, many cannot afford to “pay a claim,” so to speak. This would be akin to purchasing insurance from a bottom-tier insurer who goes bankrupt at the first hint of a worse-than-average year of payouts — a very similar situation as a run on a bank. I’m not in the industry, but I’m sure there are well-established guidelines of reserves-to-liability ratios … and I wouldn’t at all be surprised that, even for a phone, the overwhelming majority of individual owners fail such tests. After all, median annual income in the States is a bit over $41,000. Deduct living expenses, and even a “mere” $430 dollars to replace Apple’s current cheapest phone will be … quite the challenge.

Triple both those numbers and you’re in the exact same situation for the 15PM. So even many making six figures are not making wise financial decisions when choosing to self-insure — especially those living in areas (like Silicon Valley) with a high cost of living.

b&

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
You make a valid point, but I’m not sure the coverage is the exactly same. Can you buy automobile insurance that will give you a new car if you somehow lose your current one?
That's actually a good question. I've never lost or had my vehicle stolen, but wouldn't car insurance cover at least stolen? Who loses their car? At least permanently? Do you need additional car insurance for theft?

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
That's actually a good question. I've never lost or had my vehicle stolen, but wouldn't car insurance cover at least stolen? Who loses their car? At least permanently? Do you need additional car insurance for theft?
I think the point was you don't get a brand new car when you need to make an insurance claim. You get a check for the current value of the car.

Reactions: SteveoGa

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I’ve been thinking long and hard about it but decided to just stick with my home insurance in case anything happens. It’s £104 for the basic plan and think it’s an extra £60 to cover away from the home. Far cheaper than apple care. Granted it may take longer but far cheaper and it covers everything you own.

Then no need Apple Care lol xd

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Well you’ve literally just described all insurance ever 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s the entire purpose of it. Just in case.

I got a complete replacement for $100 via AppleCare+ few months ago after a parking lot drop left it pretty scuffed up. So if you want to add the $13.49 per month, considering I’ve had it since the 13 Pro launch, that’s still less than $400 to replace a $1,200 phone.

If you don’t see the value there, I don’t know what else to say.
Insurance should be on the items that you cannot afford if anything happens like your house, your car, etc. (cost of repair / replacement plus liability )
also, you phone is constantly depreciating, it’s no longer a $1,200 phone at the end of the term.
‘anyway everyone has their own value proposition and I’m not here to judge.
but you can compare the premium you paid vs. the total cost of the item, nobody can argue that it’s not significant.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Well AppleCare does not cover water damage which is a big risk. Home insurance seem like cover water damage too if the home insurance covers phone as well.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Insurance should be on the items that you cannot afford if anything happens like your house, your car, etc. (cost of repair / replacement plus liability )
also, you phone is constantly depreciating, it’s no longer a $1,200 phone at the end of the term.
‘anyway everyone has their own value proposition and I’m not here to judge.
but you can compare the premium you paid vs. the total cost of the item, nobody can argue that it’s not significant.
It may not be worth $1,200 anymore, but it would still cost you that much to get a new replacement unless you buy used from eBay or something. It’s still a big chunk of change that many people aren’t prepared for.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveoGa

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I see a lot of people in various threads (especially the case or no case threads) that they are getting Apple Care+. I'm surprised by this. While it's a better value than it used to be, I still feel like it's a total hedge on the chance of damaging the phone (or losing/theft in the case of the expanded coverage). The amount paid for coverage plus deductible is not negligible and if not used, that money is sunk.

I've had iPhones since the second version, upgrading usually every other year and in that time I have only damaged one phone when I forgot to take it out of my pocket and jumped in the pool (before they were waterproof). I don't feel like I am overly cautious with the phone though I do keep it in a minimalist case or better at all times (mainly because it grips better). I would've spent a ton of money for nothing over the years if I got Apple Care+ every time I got a new phone. That said, I can afford to replace/fix my phone if something does happen so maybe that lessens the value for me?

Why do you feel like you get value out of it? Also, please don't perceive this as judgmental, just trying to understand other points of view.
The value will be for having ‘peace of mind’ just in case damages and/or theft occur, repair or replacement will be not expensive. Hopefully this point of view will help 😊

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I worked in aircraft manufacturing and in that environment it is particularly rough environment for a phone. I had normally a 2 year upgrade cycle on my phones from the 3G to 14 Pro. The first time I got AppleCare was on my 7 and it paid off as I dropped my phone down 4 flights of industrial stairs. The phone did not suffer any apparent damage as I had it in a Otterbox case but a week later the phone was stone cold dead and I took it in to the Apple Store and they could not raise it from the dead even after an new battery. They simple handed me a new iPhone 7 and sent me on the way. When I got my XS the only time I did not have it in a case I of course dropped the phone on cement and of course it shattered the back glass, a new case and I was sent on my way.

I never had any more incidents since those 2 unfortunate incidents but I also retired 6 years ago but I still get AppleCare as it is included with my phone plan with T-mobile and I can upgrade every year.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I don't have AppleCare+ but I'd be inclined to buy it if it was more accessible and convenient to me.

My nearest Apple store is around an hour away in the middle of a city. Parking is a nightmare, public transport takes even longer. If there's a problem you generally need to attend an Apple store and I'd either have to do it on a weekend or book time off work.

Not just that, the turnaround time. If I am without my phone (either lost or sending in for repair) I'd need a replacement within a day and AppleCare+ doesn't offer that for screen or back glass damage repairs.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I had it on my iPhone 12 Pro Max but never actually got to use it because even the damn battery refused to drop below 80 %.

HOWEVER, I still got it for my iPhone 15 Plus (this time incl. theft) because I know myself. The moment I do not have AppleCare+, something would happen (like loosing it) or dropping it "the wrong way". I pay monthly, so it ain't too bad. I also have it on my MacBook Pro from 2021 (annual payment) because I did have issues on my previous MBP from 2012 a couple of times.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I had it on my iPhone 12 Pro Max but never actually got to use it because even the damn battery refused to drop below 80 %.

HOWEVER, I still got it for my iPhone 15 Plus (this time incl. theft) because I know myself. The moment I do not have AppleCare+, something would happen (like loosing it) or dropping it "the wrong way". I pay monthly, so it ain't too bad. I also have it on my MacBook Pro from 2021 (annual payment) because I did have issues on my previous MBP from 2012 a couple of times.

I don’t and never heard of anyone can make an iPhone battery drop below 80% within AppleCare protected period lol

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I have purchased 1 extended warranty decades ago and found out pretty quick that I lost on that bet. I am so far ahead of the game since my first and only extended warranty that if I broke my next ten phone's on purpose and had to replace them, I would still be way ahead of the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.