Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook and Malala Yousafzai recently sat down for an interview as part of British Vogue's Conversation series, where the two talked about life after COVID, Yousafzai's and Apple's activism, the importance of education and learning to code, and more.

Apple has partnered with the Malala Fund to support girls' education, helping the organization by assisting with technology, curriculum, and research into policy changes needed to help girls everywhere attend school and complete their education, and this partnership is a key point in the interview.

The two also discuss Yousafzai's multiyear Apple TV+ partnership, which will involve inspiring dramas, comedies, documentaries, animation, and children's shows, as well as Yousafzai's personal efforts to learn to code. "Everyone should learn to code," said Cook. "It's the only global language."

The full interview can be watched on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook and Malala Yousafzai Talk Coding, Activism and More

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
not necessarily. numbers aren't a universal concept.
I would say the five (or is it six) sense are the universal language. Math is not hard coded into human cognition maybe not even animals, but senses are, now there is the Fibonacci numbers/sequence that is observed in life but is that communication is disputable.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I mean I know its part of coding but I always thought Math was the only global language? Or is that universal language?
Some cultures only have one two, and many. Let’s say they are basically hunter gatherers.
Western culture did not even have a concept of zero until the crusades, where they took the idea from the Arab culture, which in turn had previously taken the idea from India. A lot of our modern world flows on from that simple idea (seemingly simple, but in fact not).
The classic pre zero example is Jesus spending three days in the tomb, when it was Friday night through to Sunday morning.

Math is racist, bro. Where have you been?
Apparently. I don’t think the universe cares what the most recent critical race theory academic thinks though. Or people that clearly still have Trump renting space in their head, eh, Joniz? Let it go, man.

Last edited:

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
"Everyone should learn to code," said Cook. "It's the only global language."
Code in… which language? C? Swift? Go? Python? Java? So many choices…
…and on which platform?

The idea of coding as a universal language is cute, but it will be a long time before we speak to each other in code.

Besides, code is meant to convey instructions to a computer, not communicate from human to human. Of course, the end result is that code is used to design applications that are used by humans to accomplish a certain task, so in that sense code is “global.”

Reactions: amartinez1660

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I mean did he ever code anyway?

Part of the reason why Tim Cook is pushing coding is that there should be more developers on the market to drive down the salary. Which is getting a little out of hand in the US, especially in Silicon Valley.
This is the real motivation, to make coding a commodity so cost can be even lower for these trillion dollar companies. Unfortunately too many people think it’s the “best” thing for them and their children.

Coding farms are already cheap enough in large populated countries like China and India. Ever wonder why there are so many mobile games that work or feel similar? Most of them are coded from the same outsourced coding farm.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Apparently. I don’t think the universe cares what the most recent critical race theory academic thinks though. Or people that clearly still have Trump renting space in their head, eh, Joniz? Let it go, man.
Just out of sheer curiosity - what does Trump have to do with anything I said? Why do some people nowadays always evoke Trump on things that have absolutely nothing to do with him whatsoever? Perhaps Trump is renting space in your head and you're in the closet about it?

Reactions: singhs.apps and !!!

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Just out of sheer curiosity - what does Trump have to do with anything I said? Why do some people nowadays always evoke Trump on things that have absolutely nothing to do with him whatsoever? Perhaps Trump is renting space in your head and you're in the closet about it?
Joniz higher up raised it, which is why I chipped him, although it looks like the comment was deleted. It definitely wasn’t you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.