Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
"Everyone should learn to code," said Cook. Well that's a silly statement from a successful CEO.

There are plenty of coders the issue is that there aren't enough really good ones. Not everybody has the aptitude for it. The industry is already flooded with coders who know enough to be a liability, but who think they are the next Alan Kay. Encouraging everyone to code without any kind of filter just adds to the problem.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Some cultures only have one two, and many. Let’s say they are basically hunter gatherers.
Western culture did not even have a concept of zero until the crusades, where they took the idea from the Arab culture, which in turn had previously taken the idea from India. A lot of our modern world flows on from that simple idea (seemingly simple, but in fact not).
The classic pre zero example is Jesus spending three days in the tomb, when it was Friday night through to Sunday morning.

Apparently. I don’t think the universe cares what the most recent critical race theory academic thinks though. Or people that clearly still have Trump renting space in their head, eh, Joniz? Let it go, man.
I read the math racism comment as a joke and sarcasm at tbh, although nowadays we never know.

The zero concept, I find it interesting that there would be at some point in human history the discovery of nothingness, had no clue about this. That Christ example swooshed by me, if time permits, how is it a pre zero example (and how it could have been a zero example)?

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Tim, you're not being realistic... quality coding takes an enormous amount if time and dedication, just like a heart surgeon, nuclear physicist, rocket scientist, lawyer, etc. If a CEO of a hospital told everyone they should all be heart surgeon, would you be happy with anyone trying to do bypass surgery on you?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't think that coding would be Timmy's strong suit.
CEOing and lawyering are not the strong suit of many here. People aren’t jack of every trade.
Tim, you're not being realistic... quality coding takes an enormous amount if time and dedication, just like a heart surgeon, nuclear physicist, rocket scientist, lawyer, etc. If a CEO of a hospital told everyone they should all be heart surgeon, would you be happy with anyone trying to do bypass surgery on you?
I would think to “program” or be a quality cider, which is more algorithmic thinking, one has start somewhere. There is always a range of skills in every profession.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I would say the five (or is it six) sense are the universal language. Math is not hard coded into human cognition maybe not even animals, but senses are, now there is the Fibonacci numbers/sequence that is observed in life but is that communication is disputable.
I think math certainly IS hard coded into human cognition, just as every move a world-class gymnast makes is an elaboration of the basic, hard coding (bios) of the human sensory-motor system. Of course, there is a feedback loop and the success of a complex action (either physical or mental) in achieving the desired effect is evaluated. The arrangement of the building blocks in the complex behavior is accordingly tweaked with each iteration of the behavior. That's how mathematics and gymnastics were invented. Perhaps discovered or developed are better words than invented.

Last edited:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Apple CEO Tim Cook and Malala Yousafzai recently sat down for an interview as part of British Vogue's Conversation series, where the two talked about life after COVID, Yousafzai's and Apple's activism, the importance of education and learning to code, and more.

Apple has partnered with the Malala Fund to support girls' education, helping the organization by assisting with technology, curriculum, and research into policy changes needed to help girls everywhere attend school and complete their education, and this partnership is a key point in the interview.

The two also discuss Yousafzai's multiyear Apple TV+ partnership, which will involve inspiring dramas, comedies, documentaries, animation, and children's shows, as well as Yousafzai's personal efforts to learn to code. "Everyone should learn to code," said Cook. "It's the only global language."

The full interview can be watched on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook and Malala Yousafzai Talk Coding, Activism and More
Anyone who could say that coding is the only universal language is frighteningly defective in his formation as a human being. That is not to say that such people are themselves defective or frightening, or to be disengaged from. Rather, it is to point out that they are pursuing one of our species' most ubiquitous pastimes, which is to cram reality into the tiny box dimensioned by their own limitations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.