Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
This thread has descended to Qanon pizza gate Alex Jones level garbage well done folks.

Well done America.

All that science, tech, big libraries.

Clearly put to good use.

Reactions: 1885507 and VulchR

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I hope Greg “Joz” Joswiak - (Senior Vice President Worldwide Marketing) is going with him.

Tim Cook seems to love the government and politics. Why can't he just focus on Apple solely and enrich lives? I just don't see innovation and politics going together. It always becomes a burden.
Just because Cook has to deal with political nonsense, doesn't mean he enjoys it. It's his job. Other CEOs have tried to hide behind PR people and VPs but it doesn't work. In the end, the CEO is held accountable to shareholders, government agencies and the customers. In return for all that accountability, they get to steer the ship and collect all the dividends.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Where has this happened?

You won't be able to see it unless...

175-Blind-to-our-Ignorance.jpg

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Tim Cook looks like he’s already built the hollowed out volcano island he’s going to move Apple to and take over the world from if congress gives him one more word about anything.
He won't do s***, he'll kiss whoever's butt is in power just like any other CEO.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Funny when people complain about threads going downhill, but just keep contributing childish memes to said threads. That'll surely save them.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
This thread has descended to Qanon pizza gate Alex Jones level garbage well done folks.

Well done America.

All that science, tech, big libraries.

Clearly put to good use.
You might be interested in this: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2107848118 , a quantitative archival study looking at rational versus emotive language frequency over time since 1850. We appear to be in an epoch in which emotions and individuality are ascendant over rationality and collectivity, at least in the written word. And it's not just in the US.

Anyway, I hope lawmakers can stop engaging in hyper-partisanship and actually get something done. It'd be nice if they strengthened online security and privacy, but something tells me they will do the opposite. The fate of Twitter is just a side show and a distraction to the main issues IMO.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
You might be interested in this: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2107848118 , a quantitative archival study looking at rational versus emotive language frequency over time since 1850. We appear to be in an epoch in which emotions and individuality are ascendant over rationality and collectivity, at least in the written word. And it's not just in the US.

Anyway, I hope lawmakers can stop engaging in hyper-partisanship and actually get something done. It'd be nice if they strengthened online security and privacy, but something tells me they will do the opposite. The fate of Twitter is just a side show and a distraction to the main issues IMO.

Nothing will change until there is a global agreement that all governments and politicians remove themselves from social media. The platforms make them behave badly and then they make the voters behave badly. This is how hyper partisanship became worse.

Social platforms should be for normal people to share and enjoy. Rich people and power people should **** off.

Rich people have even been going on wallstreetbets and 4chan/8kun and using aliases to manipulate people. They are sick.

Reactions: VulchR

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
This is a solemn reminder we must remember. Apple's focus first and foremost isn't to make the best iPhones, or to ensure our privacy is protected. It's to make money, and make money for their shareholders.
I see this kind of opinion a lot these days.

Would Apple would have gotten as far as they have, if they had made profit their primary focus?

A major focus of Apple is indubitably about making money. They can't survive in their present form otherwise. However, I'm not sure that this is their number-one focus. I'm also not sure that they could rightfully keep going if they chose the path of profit over customer satisfaction. There are plenty of electronic device and manufacturers and Web-based service and software providers out there who have taken that road and got caught up in the price wars, making products that are basically the same as their competitors in huge volumes to try and score a profit. I don't see Apple as that kind of company.

Maybe I'm just naïve, but I see Apple as a company that's struggling with what it has become (largely due to the wild global success of the iPhone) and still trying to reconcile this with its original ideals. I don't think they've been successful at it in all cases, and they've made some lousy screwups in various areas. Still, I just can't see that the company's ultimate driver is profit and chasing the bottom line, even in 2022.

Those who subscribe to this "Apple is profit first" point of view might find it interesting to go back to the Steve Jobs speeches and interviews on YouTube, to hear how he reconciled these issues in his mind. I think a lot of that is still present in Apple today. Still, they would do well to revisit that dialogue.

boyarka

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2021
"Fanboy" is such an immature insult. I feel like I'm in a COD lobby when I was 13 years old and people argued over PS vs Xbox.
My most sincere apologies for my lacking vocabulary, my good man. With your permission allow me to break out the Haute Slection of my linguistic finesse in as far as my knowledge of English permits me:
Kind sir, it is my firm belief that Thy would consume sir Cook's refuse - as if it were creme brulee - had you been given the chance. That you defy my words leads me to conclude your admiration of Apple Computer Co goes beyond reason - and transcends into feverish fanaticism with foaming at the mouth and steadily more absent logic and sense. Sir, may you leave to fornicate with thyself.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Detnator and LD517

Wollombi

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2021
I think, it will be about not curating the App Store offering based on policies not compatible with the First Amendment (to the United States of America constitution, for all you foreigners). However, Jim Jordan, specifically, has been known to be not nearly as critical of Big Tech censorship as you would expect him, as a Republican.

Of course, forcing Apple to allow the installation of any app even from outside of the App Store would allow the likes of Parler, Gab or Alex Jones apps back on peoples’ devices. Apple wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. If faced with either having to allow outside apps or letting Alex Jones back on the App Store, I don’t know, where Apple would come down. I have a feeling that, unlike with Twitter, the obvious business interests would prevail, and Apple would choose the latter option.
The First Amendment only applies to government entities/activites, not private parties such as Apple.

Reactions: VulchR

Wollombi

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2021
I see this kind of opinion a lot these days.

Would Apple would have gotten as far as they have, if they had made profit their primary focus?

A major focus of Apple is indubitably about making money. They can't survive in their present form otherwise. However, I'm not sure that this is their number-one focus. I'm also not sure that they could rightfully keep going if they chose the path of profit over customer satisfaction. There are plenty of electronic device and manufacturers and Web-based service and software providers out there who have taken that road and got caught up in the price wars, making products that are basically the same as their competitors in huge volumes to try and score a profit. I don't see Apple as that kind of company.

Maybe I'm just naïve, but I see Apple as a company that's struggling with what it has become (largely due to the wild global success of the iPhone) and still trying to reconcile this with its original ideals. I don't think they've been successful at it in all cases, and they've made some lousy screwups in various areas. Still, I just can't see that the company's ultimate driver is profit and chasing the bottom line, even in 2022.

Those who subscribe to this "Apple is profit first" point of view might find it interesting to go back to the Steve Jobs speeches and interviews on YouTube, to hear how he reconciled these issues in his mind. I think a lot of that is still present in Apple today. Still, they would do well to revisit that dialogue.
I don't think you're naive at all.

Yes, corporations should seek profit. But to do that, you have do so without alienating your customers, and provide a product that fills their wants and needs. Or even creates a want/desire/problem people didn't realize they had and fill it. This is basically how Jobs guided the company.

After the board booted him, nearly bankrupted the company, and then asked him to come back, Jobs showed VISION first and foremost. Yes, he wanted to sell a product, but he wanted his products to be the best, most wanted products out there, and to a large degree he succeeded, first with the iMac (which was honestly a terrible product then but met the want/"need" customers had), then the iPod, the iPhone, and of course the rest of the Mac line as they progressed. To a great degree, Apple is still doing this, but I can't help but think they are still running on the game plan Jobs left in place. Cook is no Jobs. He gets the perks of being CEO, but once Jobs' last ideas are implemented, what next? I think Apple is nearing that precipice quickly, as we are seeing some more questionable decisions of late.

So it comes back to what is your relationship with your customer base? Will you kill the things customers love because you might save a buck? That's incredibly short-sighted. Yes, there are plenty loyal to the brand, but many more who aren't. Drive them away and profits sink. Apple learned this during the "between" period when they 86'd jobs until they asked him to come back. It seems that lesson is slowly being forgotten, but "benevolent self-interest" will always achieve better results than a "profit at all costs" mentality.

Reactions: Detnator and jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
This clip tells you all you need to know about Apple and what it is they believe in (hint: it's not the people, it's the money):

False equivocation. Just because Tim Cook didn’t answer some random questions from an unplanned interviewer doesn’t mean that Apple values money over customers.

If you’re fishing, better try harder. You’re not catching anything with such skimpy bait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.