Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjcs

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2021
That's the reality of it in 2022.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever" - Orwell

I wonder if the boot will have an Apple logo or hammer and sickle?

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Terrible future for humanity, then.
consumers demand cheapest prices. a fraction want to impose ethics and morality to it because they have the budget to pay for it.

most of humanity do not have this luxury.

jjcs

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2021
consumers demand cheapest prices. a fraction want to impose ethics and morality to it because they have the budget to pay for it.

most of humanity do not have this luxury.

Apple has not been known for "cheapest prices" to the consumer.

Reactions: cbautis2

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Not sure about the message. Should factory workers make the same wage for the same job across the globe?
The wage issue was a different post by a different person. Even within the US there is a wild variation in cost of living and wages. Las Cruces, NM is so cheap that $20,800 is reasonable while that same income in Dallas, TX or worst NYC, NY would be chump change.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever" - Orwell

I wonder if the boot will have an Apple logo or hammer and sickle?
Actually the future will be more along the lines of a Brave New World which is in keeping with what Apple is doing.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Apple has not been known for "cheapest prices" to the consumer.
A lot of us do financing that's why carriers are important to Apple, Samung, Huawei

Buying it outright is not the norm for many.

Again... ethics and morals are a luxury for the vast majority.

jjcs

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2021
A lot of us do financing that's why carriers are important to Apple, Samung, Huawei

Buying it outright is not the norm for many.

Again... ethics and morals are a luxury for the vast majority.
Smart phones aren't quite as necessary as food... or freedom.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Because China is key to the worlds' future as it manufactures most of the worlds goods. If Apple didn't do business with China, iphone would cost more and Apple would make less. If the world didn't do business with China most of the durable goods would cost way more than they already do. What cost of America are you referring to?
The fact that one country that is not a Democracy manufacturers the WORLDS goods might be a problem since most of the world has Democracies. That means an adversary to the free world controls our goods and can at any time manipulate the levers of cost, quality, and availability. You said it if we did not do business with China all of our goods would cost more and I would ask you why that is? Why is it no other free country in the world can produce goods as cheaply as China??? No matter the extra cost ultimately it is always cheaper to make goods in your own country as much as possible because there are so many returns on the investment and they all go to the local communities instead of a foreign nation. I have no problem with China making what they want, I just want us to make it too. If we don't make any durable goods here then we are completely dependent on a foreign country that we may at some point have a conflict with. Do you think if we have a conflict with a foreign country that produces all of our goods that is going to end well for us?? I mean does anyone who makes these decisions even think?? Why does China want infrastructure investment from other countries if it were not valuable??

No we are in an economic/cold war with the CCP and they already have us by the balls......

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The fact that one country that is not a Democracy manufacturers the WORLDS goods might be a problem since most of the world has Democracies. That means an adversary to the free world controls our goods and can at any time manipulate the levers of cost, quality, and availability. You said it if we did not do business with China all of our goods would cost more and I would ask you why that is? Why is it no other free country in the world can produce goods as cheaply as China??? No matter the extra cost ultimately it is always cheaper to make goods in your own country as much as possible because there are so many returns on the investment and they all go to the local communities instead of a foreign nation. I have no problem with China making what they want, I just want us to make it too. If we don't make any durable goods here then we are completely dependent on a foreign country that we may at some point have a conflict with. Do you think if we have a conflict with a foreign country that produces all of our goods that is going to end well for us?? I mean does anyone who makes these decisions even think?? Why does China want infrastructure investment from other countries if it were not valuable??

No we are in an economic/cold war with the CCP and they already have us by the balls......
The above should have been thought of decades ago. The horse has already left the barn.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The above should have been thought of decades ago. The horse has already left the barn.
I agree on the first point and disagree with the second. We can change course any time but it will be painful but worth it in the end!

Reactions: jjcs

jjcs

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2021
Then why are you on this forum then?
I own and use Apple products, but that doesn't mean I view them as necessary for life or more important than my personal freedom. Do you consider having an iPhone more necessary for survival than food and the like? Seriously?

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Because China is key to the worlds' future as it manufactures most of the worlds goods. If Apple didn't do business with China, iphone would cost more and Apple would make less. If the world didn't do business with China most of the durable goods would cost way more than they already do. What cost of America are you referring to?
Actually the bloom on that that rose may be dying. China's ramping up control and the corruption were causing many companies to make plans to move out of the country.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I own and use Apple products, but that doesn't mean I view them as necessary for life or more important than my personal freedom. Do you consider having an iPhone more necessary for survival than food and the like? Seriously?
In this modern world… devices become necessities as everyone worth knowing has one.

ethics and morals are luxuries many do not much to indulge in

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I love how people are having fits over Apple but ignore the shady stuff Intel has done. It was so bad they were even manipulating benchmarks - if they did that against AMD than why should we believe them regarding how their CPU performs against an M1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.