Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
What makes you think there's an opt-out with Google? I never opt-in or use their email, photos, etc., but can't seem to keep their cookies off of my machine for more than a few seconds.

At least with the government there's some representation! I have some control, however small, and the government isn't going to be interested in me since I'm not a criminal or terrorist. Google's interest in me is unending and insatiable.
What makes people think there's an opt out for Google? This: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922

In case you didn't know, Apple has one too.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202074

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I still do not know if people here really want total privacy in their communications when using Apple's services.

Please be honest.

Do you want to be assured that people, perhaps planning terrorist attacks, or child abuse, can use Apple's services in total safety, and can be certain of no one in authority able to access what they are up to?

Is this genuinely what you want?
For Apple to be THE same place for people like this to use as they know they are untraceable.

You can't have it both ways.

Either you want total 100% rock solid security that is safe for these people to use.
Or you want them able to be detected and caught, in which case you don't want what Tim is saying.

what do you want?

Let's be honest. This question is nothing but a false dichotomy.

your first link: doesn't show any evidence of google selling / distributing private data. if you read it, you'd see they were hit by fines for collection of data despite the "opt-out" being ignored in safari only. is it... bad? yes. good on fining them and hopefuly they learned that if someone Opt-out, the platform they did it on is irrelevant. you let them opt out

I never claimed it was evidence of Google selling/distributing private data. I claimed it was evidence of Google abusing user trust buy ignoring their opt out request.

and for the NSA spying and data collection? this isn't exclusive to google. Apple is also subject to the NSA spying and data collection and requests, so it's a point against ALL data collection organizations

Read the article. This isn't about NSA requests. And it had nothing to do with Apple. It was about Google and Yahoo. It was about the NSA tapping directly into unencrypted data feeds between data centers. Not PRISM or National Security letters.

Again: there still has been zero evidence presented that Apple or google sells / distributes personal information to any third party

But that's not what you said. You said "there is zero evidence of either Google or Apple, or Microsoft abusing that trust. Neither of these companies have sold information to 3rd parties. Neither of these companies have leaked vast amounts of data."

Three statements. I refuted two of them. I agree with the third.

Reactions: Tycho24

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Instead of taking swipes at the competition for using different business models Cook should be going after the consumer who wants anything they can get for free and is willing to give up certain privacy or deal with ads to get the service for free. Also, considering Apple's business model is to profit from hardware sales it's easy for Cook to be all high and mighty about this. But it's not like Apple switched to hardware profit model to protect people's privacy. That's always been their business model.

Reactions: noodlemanc

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What makes you think there's an opt-out with Google? I never opt-in or use their email, photos, etc., but can't seem to keep their cookies off of my machine for more than a few seconds.

At least with the government there's some representation! I have some control, however small, and the government isn't going to be interested in me since I'm not a criminal or terrorist. Google's interest in me is unending and insatiable.

First, Google cookies track a unique identifier that they generate for you across multiple websites. Over time, it is certainly possible to link this identifier to an individual identity, but generally they don't care. Advertisers just care about your characteristics and habits, not your name (ex. they care that id 1234 visited uhaul.com within the past 30 days to offer ads of moving companies, they don't care that id 1234 is James). Also, this unique identifier can be reset whenever you want, and starts the profile from a clean slate. Further, there is nothing wrong with using adblockers which are quite effective at blocking these sorts of tracking cookies. I use adgaurd, and it constantly blocks googles tracking cookies. While this isn't a perfect opt-out, it is still an opt-out of sorts. I can choose and control what data my computer accepts or rejects. An even more extreme would be to simply block all cookies.

Second, I think it is naive to assume the government isn't interested in you on the premise that you're not a criminal or terrorist. There are lots of criminal laws - unless you have memorized them all and take great care to avoid them, odds are you've broken a crime or two. It's likely deminimus, but a crime nonetheless. Inchoate crimes are particularly difficult to avoid. If a government collects a database of every instance everyone has committed a crime, no matter how minor, and the the government has the power to choose whether to prosecute it or not, the legislative and executive branches are essentially merged; the government can choose to haul anyone in for anything they want when it's convenient. This is of course extreme, but it highlights that there is a reason some rules exist only for the purpose of frustrating the government's ability to find crimes incentivizes the inefficient procedure of due process (4th Amendment and the Exclusionary Rule, for example). There are no similar rules under the Patriot Act - indeed it seems to be all about avoiding that pesky due process.

I can block Google cookies easily. As far as know, I'm not a criminal or terrorist either. But I'm sure some drunken texts or joke emails between friends could the linked together to form a basis to prosecute us for conspiracy or solicitation or something. Right now the government wouldn't bother. But in the future, who knows what their interest will be? The US government wasn't above that in 1942, that was pretty recent.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I still do not know if people here really want total privacy in their communications when using Apple's services.

Please be honest.

Do you want to be assured that people, perhaps planning terrorist attacks, or child abuse, can use Apple's services in total safety, and can be certain of no one in authority able to access what they are up to?

For Apple to be THE same place for people like this to use as they know they are untraceable.

Either you want total 100% rock solid security that is safe for these people to use.
Or you want them able to be detected and caught, in which case you don't want what Tim is saying.

what do you want?

You're assuming the only way to stop terrorist attacks and child abuse is through a far reaching communications dragnet that invades the privacy of everyone everywhere. That's just not true. That might be easiest way, the most desirable way for law enforcement, but not the only way. And frankly, studies have shown it's not even the most effective way. It is possible to catch terrorist attacks and child abuse without compromising privacy.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Clearly I was negating the relevance of profit as it related to privacy and advertising...
Yes, and you're clearly wrong. Profit relates to EVERYTHING the business does. Advertising is not excluded.
As for that personal information, I'll ask you the same question that started the topic. What do you think Google does with that information that Apple doesn't do? Careful, your answer may reveal a profoundly poor understanding of how each of those businesses work.;)
Dig deeper. Everyone doing this is already farther into it than is acceptable. Google is far ahead of the pack, and has been pointed out, they've been fined for violations already, and this field is for all intents an purposes, brand new.

People like to worry about what the Government might do in the future. Let's remember that private corporations that span the globe are not answerable to voters. Who knows what financial incentives they may have in the future?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

Please be honest.

what do you want?

100% of users don't need to be spied on just to catch the terrorists who plan their attacks via Calendar on their iPads.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Yes, and you're clearly wrong. Profit relates to EVERYTHING the business does. Advertising is not excluded.
I'm not wrong. You however see no wrong in parsing my quote to suit your need. Even resorting to using part of a sentence that clearly shows exactly what I was talking about. Profit has nothing to do with the topic of the original discussion. Unbelievably, you can have discourse about business without profit being a part of the conversation. This is about privacy and data mining and advertising.

Dig deeper. Everyone doing this is already farther into it than is acceptable. Google is far ahead of the pack, and has been pointed out, they've been fined for violations already, and this field is for all intents an purposes, brand new.

People like to worry about what the Government might do in the future. Let's remember that private corporations that span the globe are not answerable to voters. Who knows what financial incentives they may have in the future?

Nice bit of deflection here. I asked a specific question and you started metaphorically pointing at squirrels. That stuff doesn't even have anything to do with what you and I were discussing. What's next? Are you now going to tell me about marketshare being meaningless.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
I'm not wrong. You however see no wrong in parsing my quote to suit your need. Even resorting to using part of a sentence that clearly shows exactly what I was talking about. Profit has nothing to do with the topic of the original discussion. Unbelievably, you can have discourse about business without profit being a part of the conversation. This is about privacy and data mining and advertising.

Nice bit of deflection here. I asked a specific question and you started metaphorically pointing at squirrels. That stuff doesn't even have anything to do with what you and I were discussing. What's next? Are you now going to tell me about marketshare being meaningless.
You are wrong. No discussion about what a business is doing with data is complete without profit as a significant part of it. And marketshare as it's routinely used is meaningless. Would you rather take in a hundred million dollars with $99,999,999 dollars in expenses and 90% of the market, or ten million with five million in expenses and 2% of the market? Profits are what matters in business.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
what do you want?
I want people to recognize that putting in back doors means less security, not more. It means that anyone with money, from large corporations, to drug lords and terrorists can buy the services they need to get what ever information they want.

Using a calendar app? Would you like the world to know when you're leaving town? Texting your child sick at home on a school day? How would you like some criminal to know her location and that she's alone?

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Further, there is nothing wrong with using adblockers which are quite effective at blocking these sorts of tracking cookies. I use adgaurd, and it constantly blocks googles tracking cookies. While this isn't a perfect opt-out, it is still an opt-out of sorts. I can choose and control what data my computer accepts or rejects. An even more extreme would be to simply block all cookies.
Blocking cookies does not protect you from being tracked. These days the big tracking services use a variety of other techniques such as browser fingerprinting. Also some network providers use header insertion to inject trackers into your traffic (recently e.g. Verizon caught some flak for doing that). It's really no longer possible to use the Internet without being tracked.
I can block Google cookies easily.
By doing that, you actually prevent your opt-out choice from taking effect because Google uses cookies to signal to the web server that you don't want to be targeted.

But as mentioned above, none of this will prevent Google, Apple, Facebook, MS and hundreds of other companies from collecting your data.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple doesnt make 41% profit margins on iPhones after you take into consideration R&D, marketing, their generous reutn policy, the stores etc...
You are confusing gross margin with net profit margin. On the last earning calls, Apple said iPhone's net profit margin is 41.5%, which factors in just about everything, including R&D and marketing cost.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Well, Tim, it's easy not to sell my personal information when your cloud services are down every week.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
You are wrong. No discussion about what a business is doing with data is complete without profit as a significant part of it. And marketshare as it's routinely used is meaningless. Would you rather take in a hundred million dollars with $99,999,999 dollars in expenses and 90% of the market, or ten million with five million in expenses and 2% of the market? Profits are what matters in business.
Okay, I'll bite. I'm always willing to learn something new. Please explain to me how profit plays a part in a discussion about Apple, Google, and their privacy and advertising practices. Both companies have very similar privacy policies and very similar advertising practices. Neither company shares customer data. Both companies mine their data to provide anonymous profiles for targeted advertising. That's what we were discussing. Where is the profit angle with this specific topic and these two specific companies?

Btw, I was using the marketshare comment to mock your deflection. Not as a topic of discussion. I'm starting to see the issue here.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
I like obscurity and obfuscation, myself. I wanted to be a spy when I was young and first got online. Ever since, I've enjoyed making a cloak & dagger game out of entering information online. So far so good. No one has anything on me. Even the wikipedia page on me is completely incorrect. :) I am a ghost. A phantom. A fart in the wind.

Sarcasm?

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Please explain to me how profit plays a part in a discussion about Apple, Google, and their privacy and advertising practices.
Profit == Motivation.
Apple's practice is that your data is your data. They don't mine your pictures or your emails. In fact, they encrypt iMessages and FaceTime end to end with no back door, and so well that governments have complained. That's because hardware and software are their products and services.
Google's practice is that if they can access it, they can do what ever they like with it. Got free email on their servers? They can do what they like. Photos? They can mine those too. There's no way that isn't going to be abused at some point. That's all because with Google, you are NOT the customer. You're the product.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Profit == Motivation.
Apple's practice is that your data is your data. They don't mine your pictures or your emails. In fact, they encrypt iMessages and FaceTime end to end with no back door, and so well that governments have complained. That's because hardware and software are their products and services.
Google's practice is that if they can access it, they can do what ever they like with it. Got free email on their servers? They can do what they like. Photos? They can mine those too. There's no way that isn't going to be abused at some point. That's all because with Google, you are NOT the customer. You're the product.
Now that's a convincing argument. I'm converted. You win.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I actually think Software Services is what Apple needs to improve the most. I also think they arent releasing product fast enough. No new monitor or AppleTV in 3 years is really a bummer. I also think Apple should have their own Search Engine...why cede that ground to Google? Google doesnt cede hardware to Apple.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.