Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
But that's in India. Are you saying that $24/hour would be the wage if they immigrated to the Bay Area and worked for Apple?
I don't know what Apple pays their contractors in the Bay Area, but we're at about $50-200/hour heavily dependent on what they're coding, experience level, and how in demand (or rare) their skill is.

My dad has a friend who charges $3000/hour to do massive data conversions for large banks in nearly extinct development languages with massive customizations and byzantine code... it's extremely high risk work, but he lives in Hawaii and works maybe 4 months per year...

Reactions: PhoenixDown

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Immigrants make this country stronger and our economy more dynamic.

What a vapid statement. Some immigrants make this country stronger, most don’t. I’m not sure what a ‘dynamic’ economy is and neither is Cook. It is a meaningless phrase.

What really baffles me is how a country with free education and welfare can’t produce enough qualified workers. If Tim can’t get enough qualified workers from Americans then we need to end welfare to better incentify Americans.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
'F' that little timmy. I work in IT. When I work in the office it is like little india. I get they want cheap labor, and for those of you who do NOT work in IT, it IS cheap labor. They typically work for 2/3's the hourly rate of US residents which first goes to the consulting/contracting firm and only about 1/2 of that goes to the employee. The rest is the firms pimp fee.

I am generalizing some here but I am doing so based on almost 30 years of IT work being inside the consulting/contracting firms as an internal employee, being pimped out as a consultant, and then working in clients and being involved in the management process of these consultants. So I have seen all sides. But many of these foreign workers live crowded into apartments close to the client site. Most of the times 2 to a bedroom. They typically share one car between the entire group and send most of their money home. Not really contributing much to the local economy. They rarely eat out and instead bring cooked food from home which doesnt support local businesses. And now little timmy wants boat loads more of them coming over.

I sure hope they dont do this.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
No, that would take "stupidity," getting involved and inserting himself in another country's politics.

Can you list a handful of other CEOs who have done so?
Look, Tim Cook's a coward. He's happy to "bravely speak up" and transform his gun emojis to squirt guns and banish Alex Jones because doing so is EASY AND TAKES ZERO BRAVERY. When the hard questions and issues come? Crickets.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
He is making a political statement implying that the current administration is against immigration - which they aren't.
Are you sure about that?

From 2017:

From 2019:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I don't know what Apple pays their contractors in the Bay Area, but we're at about $50-200/hour heavily dependent on what they're coding, experience level, and how in demand (or rare) their skill is.

My dad has a friend who charges $3000/hour to do massive data conversions for large banks in nearly extinct development languages with massive customizations and byzantine code... it's extremely high risk work, but he lives in Hawaii and works maybe 4 months per year...

I was part of a fabless semiconductor startup in Palo Alto, which employed several H1B engineers from India. They were paid the same and received the same benefits. When we were acquired by a large tech company, they continued to receive the same prevailing wage and benefits. At that time in the Bay Area (and no doubt even more so today), there was an extreme shortage of qualified talent. It would have been tough to compete in our market without their employment.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
because it affects Apple's bottom line and likely the quality of their products. Think Catalina is bad now? Betcha if they cleaned house of all immigrants it'd more of a train wreck than it already is. Ditto for iOS.

Other way around. It's one thing to have these conversations and it's another to actually work with some of these people. They bring people over who "supposedly" have the skills and instead everyone else ends up doing their work bc community is so important to them. On one end it is enviable and amazing to watch but on another it's no shock why at times the work suffers bc they are so focused on helping to low man on the totem pole so he/she doesn't get shipped back that they aren't focusing enough on their own work.

Reactions: jjhny and rgbrock1

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Tim Cook involved in politics... meanwhile, iCloud on my various macs and devices won't sync. I lost documents yesterday that went into space and were never seen again. I have never seen such a buggy iOS and MacOS since inception, and here he is, lobbying for immigrants. If Steve were here, he would be back at Apple threatening developers' jobs and making the situation right. Sigh

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
The article mentions DACA in the same breath, conflating illegal aliens with immigrants, and leading to my point.
DACA is a measure that lets certain children of parents who came here illegally get a deferment from deportation and a work visa for a couple of years. They wouldn't be illegal while that deferment is active. It's an attempt at reworking our current laws for legal immigration to try and not punish children who had no say in entering the country. It's not a defense of letting anyone hop over the border and live in America and it's not conflating illegal and legal immigration.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why do I have to list other CEO's? Tim Cook's his own person. Courage.

Got it. No other CEO of a major company meddles in the politics of a foreign country.

Yet for some reason you expect Tim Cook to meddle.
[automerge]1571409956[/automerge]
Tim Cook involved in politics... meanwhile, iCloud on my various macs and devices won't sync. I lost documents yesterday that went into space and were never seen again. I have never seen such a buggy iOS and MacOS since inception, and here he is, lobbying for immigrants. If Steve were here, he would be back at Apple threatening developers' jobs and making the situation right. Sigh

More accurately: Tim Cook is involved in United States politics on matters that affect Apple and its employees.

Mr. Cook would be derelict in his duties as CEO if he were not involved.

Reactions: Chaos215bar2

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Got it. No other CEO of a major company meddles in the politics of a foreign country.

Yet for some reason you expect Tim Cook to meddle.
[automerge]1571409956[/automerge]

More accurately: Tim Cook is involved in United States politics on matters that affect Apple and its employees.

Mr. Cook would be derelict in his duties as CEO if he were not involved.
Hey, if Tim Cook really believes in what he says or preaches, he's free to step down from Apple.

He has plenty of money.

Then again, he's been hiding in the closet from things that go against his beliefs for a long time.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Hey, if Tim Cook really believes in what he says or preaches, he's free to step down from Apple.

He has plenty of money.

Then again, he's been hiding in the closet from things that go against his beliefs for a long time.

As one who leads one of the most successful companies in the world, why in the world would he do that? Because you want him too? So funny!

I'm astonished you willingly let a tiny emoji or two have so much power over your life, upsetting you so much.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
As one who leads one of the most successful companies in the world, why in the world would he do that? Because you want him too? So funny!
Because his values prevent him from continuing to do business with a country that puts people in concentration camps, censors and spies on its citizens and forces people like him into conversion therapy.

Just a few reasons why he'd rather step down than do business with those people.

You know, courage.

Reactions: Naraxus and Huck

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Because his values prevent him from continuing to do business with a country that puts people in concentration camps, censors and spies on its citizens and forces people like him into conversion therapy.

Just a few reasons why he'd rather step down than do business with those people.

You know, courage.

"Just a few reasons why he'd rather step down than do business with those people."

Stepping down just for you? Only in your dreams.

OTOH...I hope you're not being a hypocrite and purchasing products from companies that manufacture in China. How's your courage been? Setting a good example, I hope.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
Tim Cook always chiming in on US Politics with his ideology, yet can't make a peep about Hong Kong.

Put your money where your mouth is Cook.

Exactly, which is what makes all these CEOs disingenuous. The situation with Hong Kong is no different from any of the other political situations they're brave enough to rant about yet none of them is taking a true stand. End of the day they care about their bottom line, not the situations of real people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.