Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Nope. Just not brain washed by the media. Illegals are different from legal immigrants. If you don't know the difference, you are willingly ignoring the facts.

Which one of the examples that I provided of the administration targeting people who were using legal routes to either enter the country or remain in the country is incorrect?

Reactions: Chaos215bar2

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
How else are we going to get Guatemalans and Costa Rican’s to fix the latest version of OSX?

lite obvious US workers can’t do it...

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
In the same vein of foreign IT workers depressing salaries let me mention something similar. The US is the only country that allows foreign doctors to come and get trained. No other country allows foreign nationals to take away training spots from their own citizens. US residency spots are funded by Congress, i.e., using US taxpayer money. Yet, the lucrative profession of physician is granted to foreign nationals while many US citizens who went to foreign medical schools are denied residency spots.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
So Apple can continue claiming it can’t find America workers. It’s a lie. At many Apple buildings all employees are from India or China. Meanwhile many Americans apply for positions and are mysteriously claimed as not qualified.

Apple wants to import talent who will work harder for less money. Programming sweat shop. It becomes self fullfilling. Indian manager and team wants to hire someone who fits the culture.

Reactions: DVD9

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
It isn’t fair that low skilled immigrants can’t come here too.

Everyone who wants to come here should be able to.

After all, after all the taxes are added up, only about 60% of my income goes to various taxes (income, SS, sales, fuel, phone taxes, internet taxes, etc., etc.,)

Certainly I can afford to pay more tax so these poor unfortunate folks can have a better life. After all, they earned it just by coming here and having babies.

To think otherwise is certainly racist. Stop being racist, there is nothing more evil.

Reactions: Mayostudent

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
Trump has drastically reduced LEGAL immigration too, which is affecting businesses looking for workers with certain skills

there are a finite number of immigrants legal or otherwise a country can afford to take in because contrary to the globalist myth like it or not the majority are a financial net burden, not a boon to the economy. (the Majority of illegals aren't college/Uni educated, ticketed skilled labourers etc.)
especially when you tack on chain migration (even if you believed that every illegal was some super talented electronics engineering or <insert profession here> are there primary and extended family probably not thus collectively they are probably still a financial burden.

it also seems reasonable that if you have a set number of spots open, that when those are stolen by illegals the room to take legals would decrease.

eg.
your more likely to treat yourself when you get a raise or bonus at work not when you get a pay or hours cut.
its the same thing, just on a larger scale with bigger numbers and overlapping entitlement programs.
no western nation can take on the financial burdens of unchecked illegal immigration.

if you want more legal immigrants then push for harder penalties for illegals, voter ID, border barriers, more aggressive enforcement on visa overstays etc.

these are issues legal immigrants dont have to deal with because they are authorized to be here, they went through all the paperwork to get here legallly why would they advocate for illegals to jump the line and not do the same as them?

its why im suprised border security and immigration are not bipartisan.

when you consider Trump's stance on the border is largely democrat talking points from 10-15 years ago, it just goes to show how the Trump haters lack principles.

if you were for something then well before trump and the facts havent changed then your opinion of it shouldnt have either.

Reactions: BurgDog

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
In the same vein of foreign IT workers depressing salaries let me mention something similar. The US is the only country that allows foreign doctors to come and get trained. No other country allows foreign nationals to take away training spots from their own citizens. US residency spots are funded by Congress, i.e., using US taxpayer money. Yet, the lucrative profession of physician is granted to foreign nationals while many US citizens who went to foreign medical schools are denied residency spots.

And they also don’t have half million dollar student loans to try to desperately pay off, so they’ll happily work for far less money. This makes hospitals VERY happy, so while foreign doctors drive Porsches, American doctors drive old Toyota’s while making $5000 loan payments every month, and can’t afford to get married or have children.

Reactions: dmelgar and DVD9

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
What a vapid statement. Some immigrants make this country stronger, most don’t. I’m not sure what a ‘dynamic’ economy is and neither is Cook. It is a meaningless phrase.

What really baffles me is how a country with free education and welfare can’t produce enough qualified workers. If Tim can’t get enough qualified workers from Americans then we need to end welfare to better incentify Americans.
Spoken like someone who's never actually had to rely on any of the welfare available in the US, and who either hasn't experienced a public education, grew up in a wealthy area and was lucky enough to have a decent public school, or simply never got far enough to understand the difference.

Many of the hardest working people I know and have heard of are poor Americans simply trying to make it by. Are you suggesting that pulling benefits they rely on will somehow incentivize them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps harder? Because that's definitely not how it works.

P.S. Speaking of vapid statements, how did you come to the conclusion that "most" immigrants are a net negative to the US? Just about every actual statistic I've seen suggests otherwise.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
It isn’t fair that low skilled immigrants can’t come here too.

Everyone who wants to come here should be able to.

After all, after all the taxes are added up, only about 60% of my income goes to various taxes (income, SS, sales, fuel, phone taxes, internet taxes, etc., etc.,)

Certainly I can afford to pay more tax so these poor unfortunate folks can have a better life. After all, they earned it just by coming here and having babies.

To think otherwise is certainly racist. Stop being racist, there is nothing more evil.
i honestly cant tell if you're being serious or just a mocking stereotype.

in the case of the former

its not racist.
US immigration law affects Mexican illegals from entering the same as it would affect a Canadian.
additionally its not like there are separate rules if the Mexican illegal is a White Latin American vs a mesoAmerican.
or separate rules for a European Canadian or a Aboriginal Canadian. etc.

its almost like race isnt a factor.
its just did you follow immigration laws or not. ??

the only racists are the leftist globalist types trying to conflate this to a racial debate because they only see skin color.
thinking things like any legal immigrate should be for illegals because of shared genetic heritage.

its gross

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
But why immediately jump into talking about those liberals when it's irrelevant to the story? It seems like a large chunk of the right loves to say how much they don't mind the legal immigrants but immediately get very defensive when laws surrounding those legal immigrants are ever discussed.
I don't know. You'd have to ask them. I hate both sides pretty much equally. lol.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Legal vs. illegal is the smokescreen talking point for conservatives. A big part of what the current administration is doing regarding immigration is trying to dismantle the legal avenues for entering or remaining in the country.

True... With the president characterizing some people coming from "****hole" countries and wondering why we can't have more people from countries like Norway.

If you're black or brown, good luck.

California has the 5th largest economic output in the world (United States, China, Japan, Germany, California, UK, ...) with a state GDP of 3 trillion dollars. And a good chunk of that comes from immigrant labor. Tip-of-my-cap to them all.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Can someone explain to me why these people are completely incapable of distinguishing between legal immigrants and illegal aliens?

Do they legitimately not know the difference, or do they just pretend because it would conflict with their agenda?

"Immigrants make this country stronger and our economy more dynamic," I agree Tim. Whole heartedly. My family immgirated here from Italy 90+ years ago. Legally. And then assimilated, and built this country into something amazing.

That's altogether different from the people who's first act of entering the U.S. is a crime. And statistically, not the last either.
Lol, sounds like YOU are the one confused!

Are you thinking the “dreamers” Apple hires are illegal aliens, that swam a river & snuck over the border from Mexico???

Wtf are you even talking about?

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
True... With the president characterizing some people coming from "****hole" countries and wondering why we can't have more people from countries like Norway.

If you're black or brown, good luck.

California has the 5th largest economic output in the world (United States, China, Japan, Germany, California, UK, ...) with a state GDP of 3 trillion dollars. And a good chunk of that comes from immigrant labor. Tip-of-my-cap to them all.

Which immigrants contributed to the California economy? The legal ones mostly, not the illegal ones. For illegals, we have to give them health care, buy second language text books, put up with non emission compliant cars, non licensed uninsured drivers....etc etc. Why can't liberals see that there's a difference. Oh, yea, votes.

Reactions: Naraxus and BurgDog

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
In principle, legal immigration does not bother me. I am an immigrant myself.

However, there is also a huge bit of election politics involved in this. That’s where it starts to worry me. Call importing H1B immigrants means that they do have a path to citizenship. Correct me, if I am wrong. The H1B visa entitles them to applying for a Green Card after a number of years, which in turn entitles them to apply for naturalization further down the road.

Trivia question: What will the relative voting behavior of an immigrant with a background in Western Civilization, versus one from the rest of the world, be? What kind of voting predictor is having grown up in a democratic republic versus not having grown up in one?

Do not think for one minute that these considerations do not play a part in this topic.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Which immigrants contributed to the California economy? The legal ones mostly, not the illegal ones. For illegals, we have to give them health care, buy second language text books, put up with non emission compliant cars, non licensed uninsured drivers....etc etc. Why can't liberals see that there's a difference. Oh, yea, votes.

Both. And those who aren’t documented don’t vote. But do pay taxes, including social security.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
In principle, legal immigration does not bother me. I am an immigrant myself.

However, there is also a huge bit of election politics involved in this. That’s where it starts to worry me. Call importing H1B immigrants means that they do have a path to citizenship. Correct me, if I am wrong. The H1B visa entitles them to applying for a Green Card after a number of years, which in turn entitles them to apply for naturalization further down the road.

Trivia question: What will the relative voting behavior of an immigrant with a background in Western Civilization, versus one from the rest of the world, be? What kind of voting predictor is having grown up in a democratic republic versus not having grown up in one?

Do not think for one minute that these considerations do not play a part in this topic.

I can only speak about our immigration and voting patterns, but our recent immigrants tend to actually skew conservative.

They want and appreciate the freedoms of the west, but at the same time, want to feel a little "closer" to the law and order controls that they get at home (People from China, India or Arab nations in particular)

Conservatives tend to win in my area frequently because of the very high immigrant population . Our conservative candidate is running on an Anti-Drug platform which often speaks very directly to the immigrants.

For example, I found this on my door when I got home last night. It's actually a conservative ad to try and scare immigrants away from voting for the Liberal candidate
1571423623793.png

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Another reason foreign nationals are preferred for residency spots is pure laziness on the part of residency programs here. A lot of foreign doctors have practiced medicine in their home countries for years. They know how to be a doctor. It is just easier for the residency programs to hire these people instead of actually training brand new medical school graduates.

And they also don’t have half million dollar student loans to try to desperately pay off, so they’ll happily work for far less money. This makes hospitals VERY happy, so while foreign doctors drive Porsches, American doctors drive old Toyota’s while making $5000 loan payments every month, and can’t afford to get married or have children.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Importing people from India improves Apple's diversity significantly so that is one consideration for them. Harder to find well-qualified diverse Americans to do technology work. India is ideal as not considered "Asian", by American convention, as Asians are not considered diverse.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If what I’ve read in some of the posted links in this thread are true, this thing Tim Cook is pushing could disproportionately favor immigrants from certain countries who work in IT and hurt our ability to keep getting workers in other fields where they are more needed. That’s something that needs to be examined.

From what people here who work in IT are saying, an oversupply of immigrant workers seems to be causing a depression of wages in IT.

So this measure Tim Cook is backing deserves closer examination. It’s not wise to take TC’s word on anything no matter how humanitarian it sounds.

The specific concern with him is that he may be trying to be cloak predatory business interests in human interest.

He’s proven when the chips are down he really does not give two chips about humanitarian issues. He’s a CEO of the shareholders, by the shareholders and for the shareholders, so he needs to drop the language and veneer of the noble humanitarian. That suit doesn’t fit anymore.

He does head up a company that makes a damn fine smart phone. I’ll give him that, and that’s about it for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: lp60068

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Sorry Tim. I won't be supporting this bill at all!

I've worked in I.T. for 30 years in various capacities and I've seen the reality of the marketplace. In the vast majority of situations, the I.T. companies claiming "there are no qualified candidates" before seeking the option of issuing work visas to foreigners are being disingenuous. They really mean, "We can't con any of the intelligent Americans already working in this field to accept our unreasonably low wages and benefits package for the kind of demanding work we want them to do for us."

And I've also seen the results when they get their way and bring in a heavy dose of foreign workers. They're able to get staffed with a lot of warm bodies within their budget, but the quality of the work drops off a cliff. That's not to say it's because people from another country can't code.... Sometimes they don't code as well as they claim they do, but the same could be said for many Americans. It's more about the language barriers, cultural differences and communications problems. Today's software products are a team effort, and writing good code is only half the battle. The rest is having a team that works really well together and is insightful enough to actually come up with ideas to improve the product they're in the middle of building, and to argue for those improvements to be rolled into it. I don't do software development work myself, but I have plenty of friends who do. And time and time again? They tell me when a project gets done by a lot of H1B labor, they wind up with a group that just kind of mechanically codes exactly what they're told to code. The excitement of creatively building the best product they can build isn't there.

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
It is already an issue and opening the floodgates likely will cause a shift we don’t want.

I don’t know the specifics which on the internet means nothing I can still be an expert in my mind.

I will saying that unlimited anything does not workout well.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Is that is what’s going on? I have noticed most of the doctors available to us now are foreign born. But I have always heard and read it’s because these are the only doctors willing to serve lower income or rural neighborhoods like the ones my family members live in.

Reactions: baremetal

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Spoken like someone who's never actually had to rely on any of the welfare available in the US, and who either hasn't experienced a public education, grew up in a wealthy area and was lucky enough to have a decent public school, or simply never got far enough to understand the difference.

Many of the hardest working people I know and have heard of are poor Americans simply trying to make it by. Are you suggesting that pulling benefits they rely on will somehow incentivize them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps harder? Because that's definitely not how it works.

Are you suggesting only people with particular experiences can have opinions?

Most poor people are poor because of their poor decisions. Certainly there are many poor people who work hard to succeed and do.

Yes, I am saying by making life harder people work harder. That is a simple fact of human nature. We see it in the rich and poor. Plenty of rich kids don’t work hard because they don’t have to.

P.S. Speaking of vapid statements, how did you come to the conclusion that "most" immigrants are a net negative to the US? Just about every actual statistic I've seen suggests otherwise.

Most immigrants includes illegals. Illegals are a horrible drain on our economy. They commit a considerable amount of crime. They tend to have lots of children who are very costly to tax payers. Educating one child costs at least $10,000 a year. An immigrant with three kids making $30,000 isn’t paying his way in just school related taxes even if he paid all he made in taxes.

Immigrants don’t make our country stronger because we live in the age of identity politics. Ethnic groups self segregate. There is no longer any force compelling them to integrate. So we end up with groups who aren’t a real part of the whole and who in fact express great animosity to their hosts. That is a real big negative.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Yes, we need to seriously boost STEM programs as well as the quality of public education in general throughout the US. There is actually an undersupply of highly skilled tech workers in the US (and, from my understanding, this extends to other fields as well).

That's a lie.

There are plenty of skilled workers here but Americans won't work for Indian immigrant wages nor will they accept the kind of treatment immigrants fearful of deportation will accept.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Are you sure about that?

From 2017:

From 2019:
Are you sure about that?

From 2017:

From 2019:
Are you sure about anything on this subject, or are you just going to go with some headlines that spin it a certain way? So, if the administration is against chain migration and arbitrary lottery style immigration and wants to go back to the way immigration used to be conducted, that means they are against immigration? Are you sure about that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.