Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Did you try holding the option key?
Doh! Thanks. I'll try that.

I should have figured though, since the option key is used for other alternate stuff too. For example, for my Mac Pro, Eject is the primary optical drive, but Option-Eject is the secondary optical drive.
It works! But actually it's the Control key, not the Option key.

However, last time I think it may have just been a glitch. Cuz when I pressed the keyboard brightness keys, I'd get the brightness overlay on-screen, but it just showed the zero brightness (even though it wasn't zero) and wouldn't move up or down.

I rebooted again, and now it all works fine:

What's interesting though is that the brightness keys on the external keyboard always control the external monitor, and the brightness keys on the MacBook keyboard always control the MacBook display.

Conversely:

If I hold Control, then the brightness keys on the external keyboard will control the MacBook display.
If I hold Control, then the brightness keys on the MacBook keyboard will control the external display.

While this works fine with the 30" Cinema Display, unfortunately this doesn't work with my 2010 iMac when used as an external display. I guess Target Display Mode has its own rules. I have to use the iMac's keyboard to adjust brightness.

---

Also, I've noticed that the Cable Matters adapter gets warm. Not hot, but warm. I suspect this explains why a few users have had their adapters die after several months of use.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So, this does work with the 30" Cinema HD Display, with a couple of caveats:

--- snip ---

3) The lack of Retina! o_O I've been OK with it for video playback and as a secondary display, but I of course have been spoiled for text by my Retina iMac.
You can do a 1280x800 HiDPI mode... or anything between that and 2560x1600 (just making a joke; I know you meant the display doesn't have the dpi for retina)
Some people might like disabled font smoothing. It didn't seem to do anything for MacRumors fonts, but it changed the menu bar for example.

Taskbar Font Smoothing.png

Top is default medium font smoothing.
Middle is light font smoothing.
Bottom is disabled.

However, I found with it disabled, for some fonts I didn't like it either on the Retina screen or the 30". Smaller fonts can look "weak" - thin and light.

With it on medium it looked great on the MacBook, but some of the fonts seemed a bit fuzzier on the 30". Light seemed similar though.

Reactions: zoltm

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Some people might like disabled font smoothing. It didn't seem to do anything for MacRumors fonts, but it changed the menu bar for example.
You're talking about font smoothing for non-HiDPI modes?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You're talking about font smoothing for non-HiDPI modes?
I’m not sure if I’m answering your question correctly and I’m sure already know this, but for those who might not:

The font smoothing settings seem to be global, and affect both high ppi and non-high ppi screens.

The appearance changed a few years ago, which made it look significantly worse on non-high ppi screens, prompting people to turn it off. I believe it is due to the loss of sub pixel anti-aliasing, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

J0m083

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Im curious. What version of Big Sur are you using with the M1 Mac mini with your Benfei USB-C to mini-DP adapter + Apple OEM mini-DP to dual-DVI adapter? Are you on Big Sur 11.2 or 11.3?

Sorry for the delay, used with 11.2.3, 11.3 and now 11.3.1.

Reactions: EugW

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
You can do a 1280x800 HiDPI mode... or anything between that and 2560x1600 (just making a joke; I know you meant the display doesn't have the dpi for retina)
You know what - I'd give a 2560×1600 HiDPI mode a shot just to have the better font rendering in macOS.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the 12" MacBook driving this display
It's neither particularly high-res, nor using any scaled HiDPI modes that would tax the GPU. Tack on some HiDPI modes and re-check. ;)

Last edited:

STX535

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
I have a MacMini M1 connected to the 30" Apple Cinema Display (Old one with FW ports) using the Apple Dual Link DVI Mini Display Port Adapter to the Club USB C adaptor. I can access the 2560x1600 resolution using the Option key but I actually want either the 2048x1280 or 1920x1200 options. I can't seem to access these using Option and SwitchResX still isn't functional enough for the M1s. Has anyone had any luck with a 3rd party fix or a terminal trick?

winna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
I have a MacMini M1 connected to the 30" Apple Cinema Display (Old one with FW ports) using the Apple Dual Link DVI Mini Display Port Adapter to the Club USB C adaptor. I can access the 2560x1600 resolution using the Option key but I actually want either the 2048x1280 or 1920x1200 options. I can't seem to access these using Option and SwitchResX still isn't functional enough for the M1s. Has anyone had any luck with a 3rd party fix or a terminal trick?
why not native 2560?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 21.03.12.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 21.03.12.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 192

tommyparadise

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2017
New Zealand
Has anyone connected up one of the new m1 max/pro 16 inch MBPs yet? Have the 30" cinema and it runs off my 2017 MacBook Air 2017 fine in full resolution with standard DVI + USB, but I've just ordered the Club 3D adapter discussed here, with intent to use with my m1 air and potential the new 16 inch pro once I buy....

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You know what - I'd give a 2560×1600 HiDPI mode a shot just to have the better font rendering in macOS.
Tried that on my MacPro3,1 with EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition by adding a scaled resolution of 5120x3200. The 2560×1600 HiDPI mode is only slightly smoother than the normal 2560×1600 low resolution mode on my Apple 30" Cinema display. One reason to use HiDPI mode is if you want to take HiDPI screenshots. Normally I would use low res screenshots so they take less space when uploaded.

2048x1280 would offer a little bigger UI and still have a lot of working real estate.
I also tried this by adding scaled resolution of 4096x2560. Seems to work ok on my Apple 30" Cinema display. I suppose things are smoother than the normal 2560x1600 mode. Maybe 2048x1280 would be a better idea for a smaller display.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The 2560×1600 HiDPI mode is only slightly smoother than the normal 2560×1600 low resolution mode on my Apple 30" Cinema display.
It’s the same on the 27” 2560×1440 display I have here. I mostly use 2048×1152 HiDPI on that one. IIRC 2304×1296 HiDPI looked "worse" (less sharp) so I don't use that.

One reason to use HiDPI mode is if you want to take HiDPI screenshots.
Yup.

I also tried this by adding scaled resolution of 4096x2560. Seems to work ok on my Apple 30" Cinema display. […] Maybe 2048x1280 would be a better idea for a smaller display.
I use 2048×1280 HiDPI on my IBM T221 (22.2”). That’s the exact same simulated 108.79 ppi as my Dell UP2715K at 2560×1440 HiDPI.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It’s the same on the 27” 2560×1440 display I have here. I mostly use 2048×1152 HiDPI on that one. IIRC 2304×1296 HiDPI looked "worse" (less sharp) so I don't use that.
Right. Being smoother isn't always a good thing. It reduces contrast (less sharp) if there aren't enough pixels.

Reactions: Amethyst1

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
For those who don't mind a mess of cables and are looking for a functional "dock" for the MacBook with single USB-C port, this adapter is looking good so far. I haven't tried it yet with the Apple mini-DP to dual-link DVI adapter for the 30" Cinema Display yet because I don't have the right DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort connector, but it does work properly with my 2560x1440 2010 iMac in Target Display Mode with a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable.

Cable Matters USB C Multiport Adapter (USB C Hub with DisplayPort 8K), 2X USB 2.0, Fast Ethernet, and 60W Charging

View attachment 1767794
I've been using this Cable Creations hub with my 2017 12" MacBook + DisplayPort to miniDP adapter + Apple miniDP to dual-link DVI adapter for the 30" Apple Cinema Display full time for about a week now. My Mac Pro started giving me problems so I'm using the MacBook as a stand-in. Power is to this dongle setup is supplied by the MacBook's 29 Watt USB-C AC adapter, and that power is necessary to make it all work, and it keeps the MacBook fully charged.

Everything works perfectly, except one thing. Very occasionally after wake from sleep, the brightness buttons on my external keyboard don't register properly in Monterey. If I press the buttons the on-screen brightness icon lights up, but it doesn't actually change the brightness. This may be a Monterey bug though since I don't remember seeing the issue in Big Sur. The occasional times this happens, the solution is to log out and log back in, and all works fine again, which again suggests a software issue. Or I can just use the brightness buttons on the side of the 30" ACD.

My USB 2 devices (and USB 3 devices at USB 2 speeds) work fine too, including USB thumb drives for data transfer. My external bus-powered hard drive also works, although I can't use it through a USB extension cable. I guess that cable attenuates the power enough to make it flaky.

This MacBook is not a long term desktop replacement solution though. The performance is fine for what I am doing in this setup, but it's awkward having just one USB-C port, and it's also awkward having no way to get to the power button in clamshell mode. I have on order an old 2014 Mac mini for use for the next several months (or a year or so?), and then I plan on getting perhaps an M2 Mac mini in 2022. Hopefully the M2 Mac minis are less picky with monitor support than the M1 Mac minis.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Everything works perfectly, except one thing. Very occasionally after wake from sleep, the brightness buttons on my external keyboard don't register properly in Monterey. If I press the buttons the on-screen brightness icon lights up, but it doesn't actually change the brightness. This may be a Monterey bug though since I don't remember seeing the issue in Big Sur. The occasional times this happens, the solution is to log out and log back in, and all works fine again, which again suggests a software issue. Or I can just use the brightness buttons on the side of the 30" ACD.
I'm seeing the same behaviour with the brightness buttons on my keyboard, 30" ACD, Catalina 10.15.7, Mac Pro 2008, GTX 680 Mac Edition. Maybe I need to restart or re-log-in. I'll try it later. I don't put my Mac Pro to sleep ever.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm seeing the same behaviour with the brightness buttons on my keyboard, 30" ACD, Catalina 10.15.7, Mac Pro 2008, GTX 680 Mac Edition. Maybe I need to restart or re-log-in. I'll try it later. I don't put my Mac Pro to sleep ever.
For clarity for those who haven't seen my previous post, I got that brightness control bug with my 2017 12" MacBook through a Cable Matters multi-function USB-C hub (since the MacBook only has one USB port), with the Apple mini-DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter. That adapter and its USB connection were both plugged into the Cable Matters hub.

I have since switched to a 2014 Mac mini, also with Monterey, but now the Apple mini-DP to dual-link adapter is plugged directly into the Mac mini's native mini-DP port and the adapter's USB connector is plugged directly into the Mac mini too. My Apple USB keyboard was plugged into the 30" Cinema Display, and I got the same bug. However, then I moved the keyboard's USB plug directly to the Mac mini, and I have NEVER gotten that bug again.

Actually technically that is not quite true. I did see that bug once... but what I had done was unplugged the monitor while the Mac mini was on and replugged it back in. (I was testing the 30" ACD with a different machine, but didn't bother shutting the Mac mini off when I disconnected the monitor.) After I did that, brightness control no longer worked properly until I rebooted. (I didn't try re-logging in that time.)

This just reinforces my belief that ideally if you're getting a Mac, getting one with as many ports as possible is ideal if you're going to be plugging a bunch of things in. Don't rely too heavily on third party hubs. For the Mac mini in 2022, that probably means an M1 Pro model ($$$$) instead of an M2 model ($$$).

OTOH, I've encountered a new bug, again just very occasionally. My machine sleeps maybe a dozen times a day, but twice in the past week, the screen did not go to sleep with it. Instead it stayed awake with weird things displayed on-screen. One example is this:

IMG_3571.jpeg

I don't think this is coming from my Mac, but coming from the adapter, because the Mac mini is actually asleep. When I wake the Mac mini back up, it all goes back to normal. Also, whenever the Mac mini is awake, I never have any video anomalies whatsoever.

Interestingly, I never got this latter bug when using the Cable Matters hub with my MacBook. I wonder if it's because that hub was always supplied full power with an external AC adapter. Or maybe it was just dumb luck that I didn't see the bug.

If I get an Apple Silicon Mac mini next year, I'll try a different dual-link DVI adapter. I already have a CableCreations USB-C to dual-link DVI adapter which works with the 30" ACD. (I didn't use it with the 2017 MacBook though because that adapter is non-powered and it's not a hub. And I can't use it with the 2014 Mac mini because it doesn't have USB-C.)

tl;dr:

In macOS 12.0.1 Monterey:

Apple USB keyboard plugged into 30" ACD going through third party hub, on MacBook --> Rare brightness control bug
Apple USB keyboard plugged into 30" but not going through third party hub, on Mac mini --> Rare brightness control bug
Apple USB keyboard plugged directly into Mac mini --> No brightness control bug

But I now have a different bug where when the Mac mini goes to sleep, very occasionally the 30" ACD stays awake and appears to be receiving alien transmissions displayed on-screen. When I wake the Mac mini back up, all alien transmissions cease and everything goes back to normal.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well whaddya know? My 30" Cinema HD Display supports HDCP. That changes the context of all my previous posts. :oops:

This is from SwitchResX on a 2014 Mac mini through Apple's mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter, in Monterey 12.1:

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------
------------ EXTENSION EDID BLOCK   1 ---------------

DI-EXT: Digital Interface Extension:
------------------------------------
    Version: 1
    Digital Interface:
    Supported Digital Interface: DVI Dual Link - High Resolution
        Data Enable Signal Usage Available
        Data Enable Signal High
        Edge of Shift Clock: Not specified
        HDCP is supported
        Digital Receivers do not support Double Clocking of Input Data
        Packetized Digital Video is not supported
        Data Formats: 48-Bit MSB-Aligned RGB (Dual Link - High Resolution)
        Minimum Pixel Clock Frequency Per Link: 1 MHz
        Maximum Pixel Clock Frequency Per Link: 165 MHz
        Crossover Frequency: 165 MHz

Display Device:
        Sub-Pixel Layout: RGB
        Sub-Pixel Configuration: Stripe
        Sub-Pixel Shape: Rectangular
        Horizontal Dot/Pixel Pitch: 0.25 mm
        Vertical Dot/Pixel Pitch: 0.25 mm
        Display Device has a Fixed Pixel Format
        View Direction: Direct
        Display Device uses non-transparent background
        Physical Implementation: Desktop or personal display
        Monitor/display does not support DDC/CI

My 30-inch Cinema HD Display is a 2007 model, and AppleTV+ playback works fine on it.

Also, I just checked my CableCreation USB-C to Dual-Link DVI adapter attached to my 2017 12" MacBook, and it also supports HDCP, both on my 30-inch and on my recently acquired 23-inch model which as it turns out was manufactured in 2008. Again, AppleTV+ works fine through the CableCreation adapter, on both monitors in Monterey 12.1.

So, that means my CableCreation adapter must be an HDCP-on model, and may not work with the older version of the 30" ACD. Sorry for the confusion people.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Well whaddya know? My 30" Cinema HD Display supports HDCP. That changes the context of all my previous posts. :oops:

This is from SwitchResX on a 2014 Mac mini through Apple's mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter, in Monterey 12.1:

Code:
------------ EXTENSION EDID BLOCK   1 ---------------

DI-EXT: Digital Interface Extension:
------------------------------------
    Version: 1
    Digital Interface:
    Supported Digital Interface: DVI Dual Link - High Resolution
        Data Enable Signal Usage Available
        Data Enable Signal High
        Edge of Shift Clock: Not specified
        HDCP is supported
        Digital Receivers do not support Double Clocking of Input Data
        Packetized Digital Video is not supported
        Data Formats: 48-Bit MSB-Aligned RGB (Dual Link - High Resolution)
        Minimum Pixel Clock Frequency Per Link: 1 MHz
        Maximum Pixel Clock Frequency Per Link: 165 MHz
        Crossover Frequency: 165 MHz

Display Device:
        Sub-Pixel Layout: RGB
        Sub-Pixel Configuration: Stripe
        Sub-Pixel Shape: Rectangular
        Horizontal Dot/Pixel Pitch: 0.25 mm
        Vertical Dot/Pixel Pitch: 0.25 mm
        Display Device has a Fixed Pixel Format
        View Direction: Direct
        Display Device uses non-transparent background
        Physical Implementation: Desktop or personal display
        Monitor/display does not support DDC/CI

My 30-inch Cinema HD Display is a 2007 model, and AppleTV+ playback works fine on it.

Also, I just checked my CableCreation USB-C to Dual-Link DVI adapter attached to my 2017 12" MacBook, and it also supports HDCP, both on my 30-inch and on my recently acquired 23-inch model which as it turns out was manufactured in 2008. Again, AppleTV+ works fine through the CableCreation adapter, on both monitors in Monterey 12.1.

So, that means my CableCreation adapter must be an HDCP-on model, and may not work with the older version of the 30" ACD. Sorry for the confusion people.
This guy has 6 Apple Cinema 30" Displays. Only one of them (from 2006) does not support HDCP. The ones from 2007 and 2010 have a different product ID.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...2-0-displays-on-mac-pro.2309750/post-30713434
Mine is from 2005 and does not support HDCP. It has product ID 9232, same as the 2006 model. The later models with HDCP have product ID 9221 but I don't know if that means all such models with product ID 9221 have HDCP.

Reactions: zoltm and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This guy has 6 Apple Cinema 30" Displays.

Hmm... That's an awful lot of 30" monitors!

Mine is from 2005 and does not support HDCP. It has product ID 9232, same as the 2006 model. The later models with HDCP have product ID 9221 but I don't know if that means all such models with product ID 9221 have HDCP.

Mine is 9221 (with HDCP support).

Code:
------------------- MAIN EDID BLOCK -----------------

EDID Version........1.3
	Manufacturer........APP (0610)
	Product ID..........37409 (9221)
	Serial Number.......

Manufactured........Week 17 of year 2007
	Max H Size..........64 cm
	Max V Size..........40 cm
	Gamma...............2.20

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
This did the job ???
Were you able to still use this adapter with Big Sur 11.6.1, or even Monterey?

I have the same adapter that I was able to use with my 2014 MBA running Sierra, but can't get 2560x1600 using 11.6.1 Big Sur (M1 MBA 16gig). When I hit the option key at the monitor settings, all it does is change the Gather Windows button to Detect Displays. Only resolutions I'm offered are 1280x800 or 1024x640.

I can get 2560x1600 connecting my M1 Mac mini though, which has Monterey 12.1.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Were you able to still use this adapter with Big Sur 11.6.1, or even Monterey?

I have the same adapter that I was able to use with my 2014 MBA running Sierra, but can't get 2560x1600 using 11.6.1 Big Sur (M1 MBA 16gig). When I hit the option key at the monitor settings, all it does is change the Gather Windows button to Detect Displays. Only resolutions I'm offered are 1280x800 or 1024x640.

I can get 2560x1600 connecting my M1 Mac mini though, which has Monterey 12.1.
Click "Scaled" while Option key is held down.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Click "Scaled" while Option key is held down.
Thanks. I tried that yesterday like I mentioned (I had tried clicking "Scaled" when holding the Option key down) and no luck. But, having tried again today, the Display options look different and this time I can see all the resolutions without even needing to click the Option key. Strange. Running Monterey 12.1 and using the Club adapter/dongle I got from Amazon, same one as post #29 in this thread.

pkamb

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Seattle
I've been using the Club 3D USB-C to Dual Link DVI adapter. Works great with M1.

Is anyone aware of a simple dongle that can combine that USB-C alt mode video with the single USB-A 2.0 cable coming from the back of the 30" Cinema Display? So that both are coming in a single USB-C cable I can connect to my Mac.

(USB-C video + USB-A) -> USB-C

Are there any cheap/simple dongles that can do this without involving a big "dock"?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I've been using the Club 3D USB-C to Dual Link DVI adapter. Works great with M1.

Is anyone aware of a simple dongle that can combine that USB-C alt mode video with the single USB-A 2.0 cable coming from the back of the 30" Cinema Display? So that both are coming in a single USB-C cable I can connect to my Mac.

(USB-C video + USB-A) -> USB-C

Are there any cheap/simple dongles that can do this without involving a big "dock"?
The simplest device I can think of that will let you do that is the CalDigit Element Hub. It's a Thunderbolt 4 device so you can connect two displays to it (each with 4 lanes of HBR2 or one with 4 lanes of HBR3 and another with 4 lanes of HBR).

The problem with all DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapters is that they require 4 lanes of HBR.
A USB-C dock usually only has 2 lanes of DisplayPort unless it contains an MST hub to convert two lanes of HBR3 or HBR2 to four lanes of HBR. For example, the CalDigit SOHO.

CableMatters makes some USB-C docks that have four lanes of DisplayPort with an MST hub (four lanes means the dock only supports USB 2.0). I can't find one without an MST hub (the MST hub is not needed in this case because the input to the dock has four lanes and macOS can't use MST for multiple displays).
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1291-126-usb-type-c-multiport-adapter-with-dual-displayport-pd.aspx
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-940...-usb-20-ethernet-and-100w-power-delivery.aspx

But in either case, I don't know of any USB-C docks with a USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode port that will let you connect the Club 3D CAC-1510. In that case, you may try connecting a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter (such as the CAC-1010) to a dock like one of the CableMatters docks. Such adapters require USB power so you'll be using two USB ports of the dock.

Reactions: zoltm and Amethyst1

pkamb

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Seattle
My use case is that I've attached the Club 3D USB-C to a USB-C switch (using a female-female coupler) that allows me to easily share the 30" Cinema Display between my personal Mac Mini and work MBP. (According to ATP podcast this apparently also work with the new Apple Studio Display!)

This works great. USB-C KVM switch for the 30" Cinema Display monitor.

I'd love to also switch the USB 2.0 ports for a shared keyboard, etc. If I could add those to the USB-C chain via a simple adapter I would.

But I suppose just getting a second switch for the USB ports is the more economical choice...

I'm going to try this USB-C + USB-A KVM switch as well, but don't know if it will work with the alt mode signal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.