Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
How is it "hugging with China" if literally the only people that (voluntarily) deal with the Chinese provider are... people in China? Also, you can turn it off, so this isn't a Safari thing either.

I swear people either don't read or just choose to take out of it what they want lol. This is absolutely a non-issue, but people are seeing trigger words and running with it.

I do not know what is really worse, me being uncomfortable with Apple doing everything China tells them to do, or people like you blindly defending Apple on everything.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Reading is fundamental "for devices with their region code set to mainland China, it receives a list from Tencent " If you live IN CHINA then it goes to Tencent.

Otherwise to Google. So how EXACTLY is leaving Apple for Android (Google) going to help again? Pluhlease do tell.
Librem phone is about to get released. It sucks, it is 5 years behind in design, but if it turns out that it is only option in the end, then, well. I will be sorry to switch, but you got to do what is necessary.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
So according to you, it’s better if people continued to ignore privacy?

No thanks, I’ll take caution over flippant disregard, any day.

If you can't explain how this is a privacy concern then your obligation is to not be freaked out about it. And if you are freaked out about I can confidently state that you can't explain how this is a privacy concern.

People who understand how this system works are unconcerned. That's the opposite of "flippant disregard."

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I do not know what is really worse, me being uncomfortable with Apple doing everything China tells them to do, or people like you blindly defending Apple on everything.

How is it blindly? The wording is right there. This is only an issue because people misinterpreted the wording. What we HAVE is someone (you) assuming the worst with literally zero evidence. But okay.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Unless you also take issue with Safari downloading this list of malicious sites from Google outside China in order to implement this exact same feature, this is a non-issue.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
So the whole of China has zero fraudulent website security, just because you don't think they should work with a Chinese company?

Glad you're not in control lol.

I'm glad that you're not either. Otherwise, we'd have a police state that caters to a communist government's every need. Apple proved on multiple occasions that money trumps morality and that siding with the CCP is in their best interest.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Unless you also take issue with Safari downloading this list of malicious sites from Google outside China in order to implement this exact same feature, this is a non-issue.
I am more comfortable with Google telling me that something is "fraudulent" than China telling me that some website is "fraudulent".

We know what Chinese criteria for "fraudulent" can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: gridlocked

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I love how the posts in this thread, complaining that people are overreacting and not reading critically, are just as spastic as the posts they are complaining about. It doesn't help your argument if you load your replies with condescension. But, here I am assuming you're trying to educate when you might be seeking to be rude with this topic as a pretense.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
...And reading is half the battle....

"for devices with their region code set to mainland China, it receives a list from Tencent "
And for everyone else the data is sent to Google servers, the same google apple constantly tries to scare apple users of

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
so everyone freaked out about privacy when in reality the list is cached and evaluated locally for both China and the rest of the world and only those that match a list of known problem sites are sent for further evaluation. OK.
Think about it. If the checks are done locally, why does a second check have to be done on chinese/Google servers? Was the first check some how not done correctly?

Reactions: Marekul

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
So - if you aren't based in mainland China there's no need to be concerned?
Do we really need this list anyway?
If you aren't in china, the data is sent to Google servers, the same google apple says doesn't respect privacy. The same google apple says we should be afraid of.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
so everyone freaked out about privacy when in reality the list is cached and evaluated locally for both China and the rest of the world and only those that match a list of known problem sites are sent for further evaluation. OK.

The usr notes specifically state they send your data to Google and Tencent, as well as your IP. It is only Apple's subsequent press release which states anything different.

You may be happy with that but it surely opens up more questions - why does the terms state something explicit and the press release states another process actually occurs. Whatever way you slice it, it doesn't look good for Apple (unless of course you hold Apple stock or think pro-Apple posts on social media will somehow get you a financial reward).

Reactions: macfacts

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Think about it. If the checks are done locally, why does a second check have to be done on chinese/Google servers? Was the first check some how not done correctly?

The local database only contains truncated hashes of the URLs, not the entire URLs themselves (presumably to save space and make lookups quicker, as Safari has to access this database whenever a new URL is being loaded). The extended lookup (“second check”) is only needed if the truncated hash matches one of the URLs that Google/Tencent has in their database, in which case Safari needs to check whether the complete URL is blacklisted or not.

Reactions: NetMage

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Overblown reporting over a misinterpretation of Apple’s wording with no comment requested from Apple? You don’t say.
So you are just conveniently ignoring Google's collection of safari users data that apple sends directly to Google's servers? The same google that apple has trained their users to be afraid of?

Reactions: Marekul and PC_tech

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The usr notes specifically state they send your data to Google and Tencent, as well as your IP. It is only Apple's subsequent press release which states anything different.

You may be happy with that but it surely opens up more questions - why does the terms state something explicit and the press release states another process actually occurs. Whatever way you slice it, it doesn't look good for Apple (unless of course you hold Apple stock or think pro-Apple posts on social media will somehow get you a financial reward).

As someone who works in tech: probably because the technical docs writer or legal team (or both) that wrote the copy didnt completely get a full answer back as to how well their language matched what the engineers on the safari team responsible for this were doing. With the recent controversy their PR team probably pinged the engineers and said "OK, what are we *actually* doing, specifically" and clarified, I'd bet the terms will get updated at some point in that case to be more specific.

Alternate option: they intentionally left the door open to more permissive use of data in the future, erring on the side of larger scope so that engineers didnt accidentally violate what you were agreeing to. I'd also expect the terms to get updated to be more narrow after a PR incident like this in that case.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
As someone who works in tech: probably because the technical docs writer or legal team (or both) that wrote the copy didnt completely get a full answer back as to how well their language matched what the engineers on the safari team responsible for this were doing. With the recent controversy their PR team probably pinged the engineers and said "OK, what are we *actually* doing, specifically" and clarified, I'd bet the terms will get updated at some point in that case to be more specific.

Alternate option: they intentionally left the door open to more permissive use of data in the future, erring on the side of larger scope so that engineers didnt accidentally violate what you were agreeing to. I'd also expect the terms to get updated to be more narrow after a PR incident like this in that case.

I get that (I'm a programmer) but what I don't get is how regularly this mishap occurs to Apple and how they never seem to see it coming, especially as their entire PR machine is directed at privacy and transparency. At best it shows an incompetent process.

Reactions: seek3r

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
The local database only contains truncated hashes of the URLs, not the entire URLs themselves (presumably to save space and make lookups quicker, as Safari has to access this database whenever a new URL is being loaded). The extended lookup (“second check”) is only needed if the truncated hash matches one of the URLs that Google/Tencent has in their database, in which case Safari needs to check whether the complete URL is blacklisted or not.
So why can't that 2nd list be stored locally on the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.