Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I was wondering how they were going to handle all those extra Pods. I thought they'd be in the special offer part of the Apple Store, but the Overstock.com makes a lot of sense.

Also curious to know how Apple will handle inventory around the time of the Intel switchover. Wonder if they'll pace themselves, or if some lucky shoppers will get a really great deal.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I dont really like Overstock, I ordered a watch from them then when I recived it the battery was dead and they wouldn't replace it because I was to late calling them :( . Sorry about my little rant...

But i guess they have clear out there inventory some how

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
No positive feedback on Overstock. Any bad experience consumers have with Overstock will be a reflection on Apple too- but who knows- maybe this will happen maybe not ! I vote nay.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
i'm thinking no lucky users. When apple went from the iMac G4 to the G5, they didnt overstock, they ran out and posted on their web page that they were out of stock of the old models and would be shipping new models soon. So i'm sure they'll do the same thing again when the intell switch happens.
mac_2005 said:
I was wondering how they were going to handle all those extra Pods. I thought they'd be in the special offer part of the Apple Store, but the Overstock.com makes a lot of sense.

Also curious to know how Apple will handle inventory around the time of the Intel switchover. Wonder if they'll pace themselves, or if some lucky shoppers will get a really great deal.

Village

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Austin, Tejas
I just received a Logitech wireless PS2 controller from Overstock today. I got a great deal on it and they shipped within a day. As it was refurb it did not come with batteries. Runninmac, was your watch new or refurb?

simplyguitarded

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
mini

I also noticed that Apple is offering free iPod minis to those who buy Macs (other than minis and eMacs) from the Educational store. Could this mean Apple is trying to get rid of the minis too? possibly for a soon remake? If so, I think it's quite likely that they will sport colour screens. Thoughts?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
simplyguitarded said:
I also noticed that Apple is offering free iPod minis to those who buy Macs (other than minis and eMacs) from the Educational store. Could this mean Apple is trying to get rid of the minis too? possibly for a soon remake? If so, I think it's quite likely that they will sport colour screens. Thoughts?

Actually it is a rebate of (IIRC) of up to $179 when one purchases a Mac and an iPod.

I could see them maybe dumping the 512mb Shuffles there, if the 2gb and 4gb Shuffles end up being for real. Pricing IMO would have to be better then EDU for overstock.com to really matter.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
simplyguitarded said:

Honestly, why would do you need a color screen? It does nothing except make it easier to play solitaire. The only and sole reason I would ever buy a Photo is to transfer pictures from my camera to it, so I don't need to bring my laptop on a trip. There is absolutley no other reason. The color screen is a gimmick they are using so people don't stop buying their iPods as prices get cheaper across the street. What a scam. I can get my same iPod for $20 less, 8 months later. I am sure glad I bought it then. What a rip-off!

springdaddy

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2005
Fort Bragg, NC
Chef Medeski said:
Honestly, why would do you need a color screen? It does nothing except make it easier to play solitaire. The only and sole reason I would ever buy a Photo is to transfer pictures from my camera to it, so I don't need to bring my laptop on a trip. There is absolutley no other reason. The color screen is a gimmick they are using so people don't stop buying their iPods as prices get cheaper across the street. What a scam. I can get my same iPod for $20 less, 8 months later. I am sure glad I bought it then. What a rip-off!

Sounds like someone is a little p!ssed off. Should have waited for the color screen maybe?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Overstock has sold Apple products in the past. I've seen PowerBooks, iMacs and eMacs there. My girlfriend and I order a lot of household crap from them. I have never had a problem with them, prices are right and shipping is fast and cheap.

intlplby

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
apple gets rid of old stock by selling in smaller foreign markets... you can actually by ipods here in handan city, china, but they are all older models... no new ones

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
intlplby said:
apple gets rid of old stock by selling in smaller foreign markets... you can actually by ipods here in handan city, china, but they are all older models... no new ones

Well the older models are what made the iPod successful, so not much harm there. Especially the 3rd generation models were really quite nice. And the "old" 4th generation models are perfectly viable considering they only discontinued them last week. We're not talking about ancient devices here. :)

As to Apple clearing out the monochrome screen iPods, they DO have them on the sale price page at the Apple online store -- they're $30 off their former price ($269 instead of $299) I believe. For anyone who doesn't care about a color screen, that's a good 10% discount right off the top. It certainly makes it attractive to anyone who was going to spend $249 for a mini -- just $20 more will get your 14GB more storage and a larger screen.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
This rumor MUST be true. Why? Because ALDI has 512MB iPod Shuffles in their sales ad for this week for $89.99! ALDI! For those that don't know what ALDI is or have them in your area or have never been in one, it's a REALLY cheap grocery store that sells mostly knock-off store brand products as well as national brand products at MUCH cheaper prices than Kroger, Publix and the like. ALDI sometimes has special purchase items like back massagers and yoga kits and PC accessories like card readers, but an iPod Shuffle! You can't tell me that Apple really wanted to market and iPod in a discount retailer. This rumor must be absolutely true, and the updated iPods must be coming VERY soon!

iDrinkKoolAid

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
ASP272 said:
Because ALDI has 512MB iPod Shuffles in their sales ad for this week for $89.99! ALDI!

I think ALDI also owns Trader Joe's, a semi high-end grocer in the States which sells gourmet (at least for American standards) food and wine at a discount price. It's strange to link the iPod Shuffle to Trader Joe's organic free-trade coffee...

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
Chef Medeski said:
have you spoken to the non-apple fan who is looking at purchasing an mp3 player? iriver has a radio, iriver has a colour screen, iriver has video support, i think i'll get an iriver. sure those features will never be used after the first week but they are the selling points for most people.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
ibook30 said:
No positive feedback on Overstock. Any bad experience consumers have with Overstock will be a reflection on Apple too- but who knows- maybe this will happen maybe not ! I vote nay.
I had a bad experience with Overstock also. Bought a USB from them and it was advertised to come with power adapter and USB cable. What I got was the hub only in an obviously opened box; no power supply or USB cable. I called Overstock customer service and the rep told that it wasn't their problem and they don't handle situations like that. I called back and talked to a different rep, who told me I needed to contact the manufacturer of the hub. I very bad deal and a massive waste of my time, money, and energy. I am sour about Overstock.com.

I did contact the manufacturer, Griffin Technologies, and they quickly shipped a brand new unit in box with all accessories to me. I feel great about Griffin and their products.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I have a hard time believing that apple would fool with overstock.com, when they could sell these themselves on their "special deals" section. In May of '04, I got a then-discontinued, new in the box 30 Gig 3G ipod for the same price you could get a new 20 gig ipod ($399). (This was a few months before the intro of the click-wheel 4G). At the time the 40 gigger was $499. Apple could sell these themselved without much effort.

gilligan2005

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2005
Duhh

You guys are soooooooo dumb. Apple is still selling the 20GB gray scale and 30GB Photo, they sell them on their web site;

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...0fxvC2wS9O3glzNQnrqh/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.7.1.1.1.1

and in Apple Retail Stores.

The price of the 20GB is: $269

And price of the 30GB is: $329

On a side note, why would Apple sell their own, brand new, never used, product on a third party site, that is the equivalent of e-Bay and not sell it themselves?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.