Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
gilligan2005 said:
You guys are soooooooo dumb. Apple is still selling the 20GB gray scale and 30GB Photo, they sell them on their web site;

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...0fxvC2wS9O3glzNQnrqh/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.7.1.1.1.1

and in Apple Retail Stores.

The price of the 20GB is: $269

And price of the 30GB is: $329

On a side note, why would Apple sell their own, brand new, never used, product on a third party site, that is the equivalent of e-Bay and not sell it themselves?

Another marketing genius I see.

If Apple has a glut of these, as has been reported, it makes sense. Say they have 20,000 old units, they could move them pretty quickly on their site. What if they have 50,000, 100,000 or more? Sure, they can sell them on their site and canabalize sales of their newer product. Then the new product develops a glut of inventory.

Moving a large volume in a new channel of distribution makes sense. Less canibalization of your new product and you rid yourselves of them quickly. You also reach a new market of consumers who may never have considered an iPod if not on a close-out site.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
rdowns said:
Moving a large volume in a new channel of distribution makes sense. Less canibalization of your new product and you rid yourselves of them quickly. You also reach a new market of consumers who may never have considered an iPod if not on a close-out site.
That's probably why iPods have been sold at different retailers. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are: Sharper Image, Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, Target, Costco...

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
gilligan2005 said:
You guys are soooooooo dumb.

Am I missing something?

The guy's FIRST post to Macrumors is to call us "soooooooo dumb"?

Nice.

And the Macs we're typing on, too, I suppose. :confused:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
devilot76 said:
That's probably why iPods have been sold at different retailers. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are: Sharper Image, Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, Target, Costco...

Even the camera store I work for sells the complete iPod line....
:)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
runninmac said:
I dont really like Overstock, I ordered a watch from them then when I recived it the battery was dead and they wouldn't replace it because I was to late calling them :( . Sorry about my little rant...

But i guess they have clear out there inventory some how

I've had good experiences (7) with Overstock.com and would buy through them again. My guess is that the problem with the dead battery is that watch had been sitting in inventory for a looonng time and the battery went dead on the shelf. Hopefully you got a good enough deal to make up for it. That is a good point to watch out for, things with batteries in the package may have dead batteries.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Chef Medeski said:
Honestly, why would do you need a color screen?

Gotta agree with you there. Same for PDA's. The color screen just burns more battery. I prefer a really good quality greyscale screen and long battery life for a PDA and frankly don't even need a screen on an MP3 player. I do wish though that my PDA played MP3's. Many newer ones do. But I shouldn't complain as mine is 7 years old and still kicking! :)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
abc123 said:
have you spoken to the non-apple fan who is looking at purchasing an mp3 player? iriver has a radio, iriver has a colour screen, iriver has video support, i think i'll get an iriver. sure those features will never be used after the first week but they are the selling points for most people.

You're right, there are people who buy all the accessories. And they don't need them. Many will fiddle with them though and it keeps them happy. Hopefully Apple will keep offering better products sans featuritis. :)

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
aswitcher said:
Could be Apple is just trying to keep the stock moving... in preperation for wireless ipods at Paris ;)

Hmm... so what is the purpose of wireless in iPods? Do you mean so it can be used as a remote control? Wireless headphones? Something else?

The problem I see is wireless burns power.

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
intlplby said:
apple gets rid of old stock by selling in smaller foreign markets... you can actually by ipods here in handan city, china, but they are all older models... no new ones

That's because your commie bastards are going to use them to launch missles - just like the PS2!

...wink...

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
lucky you

rdowns said:
Overstock has sold Apple products in the past. I've seen PowerBooks, iMacs and eMacs there. My girlfriend and I order a lot of household crap from them. I have never had a problem with them, prices are right and shipping is fast and cheap.
My wife tried to order a watch three weeks ago and received a tracking number to a package that went to another state. Overstock gave her the run around and never sent her the watch but had to credit her cc after three weeks of calls. They sucked throughout the whole process giving different excuses.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
theranch said:
My wife tried to order a watch three weeks ago and received a tracking number to a package that went to another state. Overstock gave her the run around and never sent her the watch but had to credit her cc after three weeks of calls. They sucked throughout the whole process giving different excuses.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem that your wife had theranch. Happy though that it was successfully resolved. Your story should be a good warning for the rest of us.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
"Those are factory reconditioned, not new."- big_ftk

"a small blurb indicating that Apple MAY be in talks with Overstock.com to clear out remaining monochrome iPods and excess iPod shuffles."

Is this the rumor? It says that they MIGHT be selling the remaining ipods....So is this what they're were talking about: reconditioned iPods? That was my point....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.