Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Hybrid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
In thy closeth
Why would China want to block apple.com?
It would have made sense if it was North Korea who was blocking, but China? China is one of the most "western" asian countries.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
maybe M$ has a deal with China. Maybe They're going to start a worldwide revolt against the United States!

LOL

ne way

it must be a glitch or the great firewall of china has something to do with it. :mad:

hedgecore

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004
think different

they are deffinately thinking more freely every day, but maybe the govt doesn't think that they are ready to "think different"...

haha

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
That's bad...

for the people there, attached to a PC for ever :( , Maybe it's because they are going to start soon a Linux project and don't want people to know about other OSes :( , or is it because lot of apple products are assembled in Taiwan?, Unlikely but sometimes someone has to give the stupid reasons and wait goos reasons from the next people... :eek:

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
AmigoMac said:
or is it because lot of apple products are assembled in Taiwan?

Well, Apple uses fabrication plants in Communist China as well, if I recall, so that seems unlikely.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Macrumors said:
According to one report, Apple.com appears to be blocked in China and has been for the past 3 weeks.

very strange - but where's the link to the *report*?

D

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
very strange - but where's the link to the *report*?

D

maybe it's just one user having a specific problem with a provider? I had that problem once.

paulbarton

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
revolting

"Maybe They're going to start a worldwide revolt against the United States!"

LOL

"START"!!! ? ... you're joking right?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This story is sounding better. Just hope that the glitch will be corrected soon!

qubex

macrumors 6502
I live in China and I can confirm that Apple.com has been blocked for the past three weeks or so.

This is not unusual - they were blocked for a long time during November, too.

It isn't a glitch - there is definitely some form of logic to what sites are blocked, though it is often haphazard. For example, cnn.com has always been available since I arrived in China back in November, but news.bbc.com has always been blocked. However, it doesn't really affect me because:

(1) I get all my Apple news here.
(2) All the "collateral" Apple webservers - AppleDeveloperConnection and .Mac operate fine.
(3) Softwareupdate works fine.
(4) If push comes to shove, there are always proxy servers...

Actually I'm relieved to see this report - sometimes I'm not sure whether it's problems with my internet connection (and/or DNS server) or Chinese "Great Bamboo Firewall of China" policy decisions. The former is easier to overcome (fix it), but it also requires activity on my part.

Oh well.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Well, I know there are ways to work around the "great firewall of china", but the biggest problem with blocking apple.com isn't getting just the "apple news". It's if you ARE running OSX and wanted to do software updates n' stuff, you'd be unable to patch your system with security updates or software updates.

qubex

macrumors 6502
qubex said:
It is http://www.apple.com that is blocked. As I mentioned, softwareupdate and .mac work fine in China. I live here. I should know.

My guess - and mind you it is only a guess - is they don't want people to find out about Final Cut Pro HD, or Motion. The authorities here seem to be very sensitive about anything that can be used for the purposes of creating good-level content.

Probably once those products are gone from the mainpage (are they still there?) the site will be re-enabled.

Incidentally could one of you be so kind as to post a screenshot of the Apple website as it currently stands? That would be very useful for the purposes of "differential censoranaylis". ;)

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
qubex said:
My guess - and mind you it is only a guess - is they don't want people to find out about Final Cut Pro HD, or Motion. The authorities here seem to be very sensitive about anything that can be used for the purposes of creating good-level content.

Probably once those products are gone from the mainpage (are they still there?) the site will be re-enabled.

Incidentally could one of you be so kind as to post a screenshot of the Apple website as it currently stands? That would be very useful for the purposes of "differential censoranaylis". ;)
[

I don't understand... How are TV ads, programs and movies edited if they don't use stuff like finalcut, avid or inferno?
I worked with a production company from China last year for an ad they were making for China and the producer had a powerbook with Final Cut on it.
Why would the government hide what is already known and used by people?

qubex

macrumors 6502
The difference lies between "people", as a potentially subversive rabble, and "the producer", who is supposedly "authorised" (business licences etc.) to peddle his trade.

But it's only a guess. Once one of the border guards asked me if my "Apple computer" had "Movie" on it. In the end I had to trash iMovie. But no panic - iLife '04 CD in my backpack.

After you live here for a while, you tend to realise certain things are impossible to decypher. You just accept, move on, and wait for them to change - because they usually do... in unpredictable directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.