Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
meta-ghost said:
china is a funny place. the more you spend time there and think you understand it, the more it surprises you.
I think to a degree that this statement applies to Asia as a whole and not just China. Too often the typical American tries to apply their viewpoint to a culture that does not fit their paradigm. The result in an inaccurate perception.

Sushi

qubex said:
I hate to point this out, but the "time since conception" thing really is an anachronism. I've never encountered anybody here in China who really does that.

So, without puttinig too harsh a point on it, perhaps a little insight into the underlying cultural subtext would be in order. It's not that I don't respect academia and so forth, but knowledge deprived of context is a very dangerous thing indeed.

"Knowledge is a powerful thing to have underhand,
But I'd gladly give it up if I could only understand.
"
Very well put!

Sushi

MacMoot2

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2004
Sacramento, ca
Apple.com blocked in China

Macrumors said:
According to one report, Apple.com appears to be blocked in China and has been for the past 3 weeks.

For the past 3 weeks or so the link to the Beijing Daily newpaper has not worked also. The server link can't be found.

acdninjapan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
The Beaches Tokyo Japan
reyesmac said:
There is a Powerbook that says "Tokyo" on it on the front page of Apple.com. Maybe the chicoms have a problem with that.
Its ok for the government there to allow people to manufacture american goods of all kinds there but when it comes to the peoples choice of where they want to go on the internet they get all repressive?

That would be a definite yes! Anti Japanese rhetoric is at an all time high right now. I have a Japanese IP address and have been constantly blocked from accessing any Chinese sites. Also, the Gaimusho, Boecho and Japanese Education Ministry were attacked by Chinese Cyberhackers and all this was coordinated with the attack on the Japanese Embassy and Japanese businesses.

acdninjapan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
The Beaches Tokyo Japan
mhar4 said:
Well, this issue is much debated in Taiwan Studies. see
http://www.soas.ac.uk/departments/departmentinfo.cfm?navid=529
(I'm in panel 8) But I think the Taiwanese have done pretty well. They didn't start shooting and most of the protesting was pretty good natured. And they don't block Apple's website, and that's got to be a good thing!

The Taiwanese expressed their displeasure but, they are pragmatic and will do whatever is necessary to make things work out.The PRC believe that they are Asia's true rulers and are taking steps to exercise what they believe is their 'Manifest Destiny'. They've done this by hiding parts of their history such as the Great Leap-which was a fiasco and the wholesale bloodletting which was the Gang of Four (I was there for that). They're extorted money from their neighbours (the Japanese), browbeaten and threatened lesser countries (the Vietnamese) when their policies were questionned (as in their support of the Pol Pot regime) and have carried on as if they were the US of A of the early 1900's -1960's.

I have no faith in the Bush regime and an equal amount of faith in the PRC regime.

acdninjapan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
The Beaches Tokyo Japan
herrmill said:
Damn, another one! I thought everyone used on Legend pcs here! Maybe we should start on our local Mac users group to give our girlfriends another reason why we need go to Malones alone.

Product development, sourcing & QA for the building materials industry. Primarily we act as an agent on behalf of OEM manufacturers & distributors who want to outsource their production or want to gain a foothold into the local market. Overall, rather boring stuff but it pays the bills.

What about you & the rest of us hardy souls who happen to be in this amazing place called China?

Hi people,

I'm just your typical gaijin/ang mor (Japan/Singapore) graphic designer and animator. I'm interested in finding out if there are any animation houses in China and what sort of work they do. I'm familiar with Japanese work, having with with Tezuka's Neontetra Production and Aoni Pro here in Tokyo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.