Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
But those people on Wheaties boxes played sports that normal people could play in their back yards, in the streets, video games or school. And those people on Wheaties boxes are real individuals that you can watch in real life. Lebron James advertising the phone makes more sense then some nameless pilot. Viewing a sporting event on the iPhone relates to many more people compared to this Apple commercial.

So the standard Apple's advertising should follow is to only show people everybody knows doing things everybody is comfortable doing? Good plan if you want to bore people to death.

happycamp3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Denver, CO
What are the iPhone clamp and magnification accessories used in this ad?

I have utility for these accessories, but I haven't seen them before. I'm referring to the segment from the ad with a woman looking at the magnification of a stone through her iphone. Thank you.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
they really should not show firefighters relying on iOS maps to get to the fire.

It's been three years and Maps has improved a lot. We can retire the iOS Maps joke now, thanks.

And would you rather they show what firefighters and EMS first responders did BEFORE the iPhone? Because I can tell you what it was: if they didn't know the area, they had to wander around and ask the dispatcher for cross streets, hoping that verbal directions were clear enough. Sometimes you had a paper map; usually it was out of date. the old way was a process that added several minutes to a call at best... all while your house was burning down or your dad was dying of a heart attack.

Frankly, I'm a lot more at ease knowing that they have better tools to work with, now.

----------

Apples latest generation of ads are not really noteworthy or memorable like many of those of the past.
Just corporate blah blah blah unlike the old iPod commercials or even the "Mac versus PC" ads.

Wow, really? The Mac vs PC ads were the most reviled series of ads in Apple history. No one got the message, and assumed that Apple was bashing PC users (rather than the PCs themselves). It was deemed elitist Apple snobbery. Regardless of whether it was truly snobbery, or a misunderstood message, the ads clearly didn't connect with the intended audience as they should have.

And the iPod ads said nothing, just silhouettes dancing to music. No message except "buy this thing, or you're not cool."

I'll take the current crop of ads, thank you.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
It's been three years and Maps has improved a lot. We can retire the iOS Maps joke now, thanks.

And would you rather they show what firefighters and EMS first responders did BEFORE the iPhone? Because I can tell you what it was: if they didn't know the area, they had to wander around and ask the dispatcher for cross streets, hoping that verbal directions were clear enough. Sometimes you had a paper map; usually it was out of date. the old way was a process that added several minutes to a call at best... all while your house was burning down or your dad was dying of a heart attack.

Frankly, I'm a lot more at ease knowing that they have better tools to work with, now.
This is laughable. Emergency services should be using the best maps, even if that means paper and dispatchers. Apple maps are not, (yet), the best. When they take a wrong turn down a one way street which can add several minutes to a call at best... all while your house was burning down or your dad was dying of a heart attack.
I’d be far more happy knowing they knew where they were going and weren’t blindly following a phone. This is bigger than the Apple maps/Google maps things. Just get the best one, TomTom/Garmin I don’t care!
I don’t think Apple Maps is there yet.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I'm totally lost on trying to sell a product based on apps that you didn't make. Just confuses consumers.

Jvanleuvan

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2012
This is one of my favourite car commercials ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOW9fLT9eY

yeah, that commercial is stupid, as if only Volkswagen has convertibles... and last I checked, other cars can drive down that same road, in fact I have driven that same road with my Chevy! DUH!

And clearly any car can be invited to that party! total false advertising! And I can see the moon even better from my car! As if Volkswagen and some sort of patent on moon seeing!

That coverable top take 150 milliseconds longer to retract than on other cars! Where is all the technical specs? Clearly they have nothing to offer /Sarcasm

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
This ad is slightly better than the last few. But lately the music has just been terrible. It started with that dreadful Gigantic ad, that had me diving for the remote every time it came on. Next was the inexplicable Chicken Fat ad, WTF was that all about? Is that a real song? After that came the utterly lifeless, moribund Life of Dreams ad. The visuals are fine but the music is just wretched. This one is only every so slightly better. Considering the access Apple has to the iTunes Music Store, their music choices in their ads are profoundly uninspired.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
So what you're saying is that smartphones like the iPhone changed your life.
Indeed, just sat through an hour of garbled input from 6 people, seems I was the only one that heard everything (albeit in a distorted fashion) and didn't drop out.

What a Joy. Please Apple, more ads telling us how powerful we are.

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I have utility for these accessories, but I haven't seen them before. I'm referring to the segment from the ad with a woman looking at the magnification of a stone through her iphone. Thank you.

You can buy extra macro lenses for smartphones. Groupon actually has a deal on a set of lenses right now, but I think they are different than the one in the ad. Amazon has lenses as well. I don't own any so I'm just going off reviews. I know there is also an attachment for iPhone that allows you to take pictures using a telescope.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-aduro-3-piece-camera-lens-kit-for-apple-iphones-1

Last edited by a moderator:

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
My post had nothing to do with photos nor videos. I'm speaking of documents, ie word, pdf, spreadsheets etc.

You can only attach files that the device has in it. Lets say Apple allows you to save random file extensions to a folder in the phone, why would you have those files with you on the phone if you can't work on them. If you can't work and save those files then why would you be replying emails with the same iteration of the file? If you are working on the file from a laptop/desktop why not email from the laptop desktop?

If the laptop or desktop you used to edit the file has no internet connection, the iPhone can hotspot it. If you don't want to send the file until requested why not put the file in a FREE dropbox account and share the link from the dropbox app in iPhone? It sounds like you expect a mobile to be fully functioning laptop

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
It sounds like you expect a mobile to be fully functioning laptop

Really? You are equating attaching a document to an existing email as me needing a fully functioning laptop?

Again, I simply want documents treated exactly the way photos and videos ALREADY are.

Simple scenario in the business world. Joe sends me the monthly sales numbers. John sends an email to me and 10 other VPs asking me for the sales numbers. I simply want to reply to that email and insert a document. Should be easy. Save Joe's email to the documents folder and insert it to John's email.

Except....it doesn't work that way in iOS. I can do a workaround as "copy" the document Joe sent and then paste it into the existing email, as long as Joe included text in the email; I can forward the email to myself including some text so I can "copy" the document and paste it; I can use one or more sandboxed apps to save the email and then start an email (which I'll again have to try and "copy" the email).

Do you get it now?

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Really? You are equating attaching a document to an existing email as me needing a fully functioning laptop?

Again, I simply want documents treated exactly the way photos and videos ALREADY are.

Simple scenario in the business world. Joe sends me the monthly sales numbers. John sends an email to me and 10 other VPs asking me for the sales numbers. I simply want to reply to that email and insert a document. Should be easy. Save Joe's email to the documents folder and insert it to John's email.

Except....it doesn't work that way in iOS. I can do a workaround as "copy" the document Joe sent and then paste it into the existing email, as long as Joe included text in the email; I can forward the email to myself including some text so I can "copy" the document and paste it; I can use one or more sandboxed apps to save the email and then start an email (which I'll again have to try and "copy" the email).

Do you get it now?

Okay so you are not making changes to the file? What are the reasons you can't hit forward? If you don't want the email discussion shown then do a select all delete?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Okay so you are not making changes to the file? What are the reasons you can't hit forward? If you don't want the email discussion shown then do a select all delete?

That's exactly the way I pass along documents. Forward it along. If by "Joe sent me the numbers" you mean he sent the numbers and you need to create a spreadsheet, you can do that with Office for iPhone and click Share to email the document you made. There are non-Office apps that'll do the same, like Google Sheets. I know you want to use an iPhone like a hard drive you can access random files on like a full computer but Apple chose to design it differently. Possibly to protect the iPhone from people storing corrupted/infected files on the phone.

Last edited:

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
That's exactly the way I pass along documents. Forward it along. If by "Joe sent me the numbers" you mean he sent the numbers and you need to create a spreadsheet, you can do that with Office for iPhone and click Share to email the document you made. There are non-Office apps that'll do the same, like Google Sheets. I know you want to use an iPhone like a hard drive you can access random files on like a full computer but Apple chose to design it differently. Possibly to protect the iPhone from people storing corrupted/infected files on the phone.

lets not forget the PDF exploit that jailbroke all those iphones lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.