Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Yes, and then that vet would be out of a job fairly quickly. You seriously think they would remember an iPhone + hardware over a stethoscope

A stethoscope requires the vet to write down the numbers on a sheet of paper and then later type those numbers into a computer if he/she wants to keep a record of the animal's history. Using the iPhone equipment does all that in one step. More efficient with less bulk.

Notice that most of the situations in this commercial require being able to do a specific task in a situation where anything bulkier than an iPhone would be impractical. A situation where you would have your iPhone with you anyway for all the mundane things it does.

----------

Anything would be better than that "life of dreams" song/ad. That has to be the most annoying, pseudo children's song ever and there's been a ton in commercials the last few years. Every time it comes on my blood boils that such a nonsensical song by a no-talent, can't keep time, toy piano playing artist is making a mint off all those plays while there are a billion other songs by better artists with more appropriate material who are eating dog food for dinner while they struggle to get a break.

Seriously, if any Apple PR people are reading this I have not met a single person who doesn't think that's the worst spot you've ever done. It's so damn bad.

Again, to summarize I do not care for it.

And I can't stand pretentious music snobs who think artist A is better than artist B for some stupid, inane reason. I always laugh when I hear people go on and on about how some band/singer was great when only they knew about them but as soon as that band gets popular they hate them because they "sold out". So stupid and I just have to shake my head at them. I guess somehow it makes you feel important to be so "knowledgable" about what's good but you are really just an annoying dweeb being reinforced by the other dweebs in your small circle of like-minded friends. Just consider that you are NO different than Kathy Lee Gifford thinking all modern music is crap because it's not pretty with lyrics that rhyme. Same thing.

Last edited:

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Find it really amusing how so many people get so fired up by TV add.
There are number of TV channels in Aus that pump up commercials 24/7, I guess the same is true in us and uk.
Tune into one of these, you'll love it ;)

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
A stethoscope requires the vet to write down the numbers on a sheet of paper and then later type those numbers into a computer if he/she wants to keep a record of the animal's history. Using the iPhone equipment does all that in one step. More efficient with less bulk.

Notice that most of the situations in this commercial require being able to do a specific task in a situation where anything bulkier than an iPhone would be impractical. A situation where you would have your iPhone with you anyway for all the mundane things it does.

----------

And I can't stand pretentious music snobs who think artist A is better than artist B for some stupid, inane reason. I always laugh when I hear people go on and on about how some band/singer was great when only they knew about them but as soon as that band gets popular they hate them because they "sold out". So stupid and I just have to shake my head at them. I guess somehow it makes you feel important to be so "knowledgable" about what's good but you are really just an annoying dweeb being reinforced by the other dweebs in your small circle of like-minded friends. Just consider that you are NO different than Kathy Lee Gifford thinking all modern music is crap because it's not pretty with lyrics that rhyme. Same thing.

Agree with you. Nothing worse than pretentiousness with educated snobbery. The mere resorting to such behaviour is a telling sign.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
You honestly think that is acceptable? It's not extra steps, it is a PITA workaround for a rudimentary business task. If that was the way it worked on any other OS, it would be universally panned on this website.

And yet, iOS devices seems to dominate the enterprise in the western world.

Sending email attachments is such a bad way for sharing files. Businesses very often has some form of shared repository to do that.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Congrats for admitting you're the kind of person who can't extrapolate anything from a basic premise of "the phone has a lot of potential". They've already had commercials about the features you mentioned.
What commercial was that?
If they had more commercials about them, some guy like you would complain that Apple has nothing new to talk about.
I'm surprised you know what I would say, given you don't know me at all.
Besides, those features really aren't that unique anymore after the others copy them, right?
What unique feature was shown in this ad, then?

What makes the iPhone special to me, is 'the feel' of the hardware and software. The hardware feels and looks much nicer than the competition. The software feels and works much nicer than the competition. The nicess is in fact a unique property. Apple should emphasize that, the feeling you have when encountering something special. That emotion should be transmitted to the audience.

The emotion they're trying to convey now is that the AppStore has endless possibilities. To be honest, most people don't want that or need that. Most people aren't special, most people don't need special apps. Most people want to have a pleasent experience doing everyday stuff. Apple delivers on that experience, but the marketing does not deliver that story.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
No, not really.

You really want a fire officer checking his iPhone, or a vet come to check out you horse by holding an iPhone against it?

Next will be an operating theater, no expensive professional equipment, just a few iPhones with some cheap addons plugged into them whilst you are having your heart bypass operation. :D

Hey mister ignorant, that is a FDA certified ECG (both for veterinary and human) otherwise it would be illegal - note it is a hardware device which uses the iPhone simply as the UI, so you aren't "just using an iPhone"). My wife uses it in her veterinary practice as it works better than the purpose built ones (various reasons) and I use it in my hospital based practice for a quick look (no it doesn't replace a 12-lead, but is certainly as good as the telemetry monitors) as I can get a rhythm question answered about 10 times as fast as it takes to set up a 12-lead for a patient. It has been out for years, and is now on its second generation, and very, very reliable. So since you aren't an expert, why not ask why that's a good thing, instead of insisting it's not!

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Yeah... Shatter those dreams with the Beats acquisition. But overall great ad following that MacBook Air ad. (But that Beats Pill ad is still out here...) And why are these devices depicted as life-changing dream machines? I have one and it's just a practical phone.
I grew up with "practical phones." They had rotary dials and allowed you to make phone calls from any place that had one installed to any other place that had one installed. In their day, they changed a lot of people's lives, but by the time I came along, they were "just" phones. An ordinary part of life.

Later on, cell phones changed people's lives, but by the time the iPhone came out, they were ordinary technology. No one really thought about them unless they didn't work.

Now the iPhone is "just" a phone, despite the fact that it would seem like science fiction tech to anyone in the 1980s. Smart phones changed our lives in so many ways, but now that our lives are changed, they don't seem special any more.

Imagine how your life would change if you had to go back to only landlines, or to no phones at all. That change you imagine is the amount that the "just" phones have changed our lives.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
The idea is is to hammer the point home that a smartphone is the future of general purpose computing.

A vet may rush to a scene to check on an animal with the equipment they have on hand. They can't bring their entire setup with them.

A fire department might be using an old Compaq 486 as a dispatch computer. Why can't they use an iPhone?

And for both those purposes, why can't an iPhone do the job? It's a computer with dedicated developers.

The reason vets use the AliveCor (I am married to a vet who has used one for years [and got rid of all the other ECGs in her practice], and I use one as a human doctor) is that they actually work better than most classic veterinary ECG machines. They are not a heart rate monitor (who cares) they are a full 1-lead ECG (you can get all the limb leads but requires some yoga positioning). They work because the alternative uses conductive gel and clip leads which invariably fail (the conductive gel causes the bimetallic clips to electrolyze) right about when you urgently need them. This device does a really nice job of surface noise reduction, and of course stores it for later printing. This is NOT a heart rate monitor which gives you a number (which unlike the public doctors rarely care about) it gives you the rhythm and waveform (and the heart rate of course). If the animal (or person) is in a heart block, SVT, afib, etc this will tell you in about 4-10 seconds, whereas setting up the classic device takes >1 minute on an animal (and also putting clips onto animals can make them thrash around). The latest generation is not only for iPhones (there is an android app as well) since the hardware is generic, and then locks into a model specific case, and then communicates with the device for display/UI. The device does the actual ECG.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
And yet, iOS devices seems to dominate the enterprise in the western world.

Sending email attachments is such a bad way for sharing files. Businesses very often has some form of shared repository to do that.

You can't be serious. Emails with attachments are a daily, basic business function.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Imagine how your life would change if you had to go back to only landlines, or to no phones at all. That change you imagine is the amount that the "just" phones have changed our lives.
Here's how my life would change with no smartphones: I'd get a clear, intelligible call from someone on other end who wasn't shouting, that would last for more than thirty seconds before disconnecting.

I know it sounds like science fiction, and the real purpose of phones is for playing games, taking photos of your food, watching Hi Definition movies and listening to Low Definition music, but I can dream, just not the same "Dream" Apple has.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
What a pointless, sensationalist advert that really does nothing to get you vested. Why don't they show some person/people going about their daily lives and all those little, realistic interactions that we have with smartphones:

Alarm clock wakes them up in the morning. They check the latest news & weather while eating breakfast. They text someone to say they'll be coming over later. They mount the phone on their car's dash with navigation/traffic information up and music playing, connected through bluetooth. They play a quick game of some sort while on their lunch break at work. After work, they hook it back up to the car and call the friend through the speaker system on their way over. They hang out at the friends house and maybe show them some amazing photo or funny video they took or found. Through all this, they may highlight how wonderful the battery life is.

There are so many real, every day uses that people are genuinely interested in seeing. It's silly to show off a few third party apps that appeal to the 0.01% when you can so easily appeal to the masses.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
You can't be serious. Emails with attachments are a daily, basic business function.

touch hold in your email, select the insert photo or video.

----------

What a pointless, sensationalist advert that really does nothing to get you vested. Why don't they show some person/people going about their daily lives and all those little, realistic interactions that we have with smartphones:

Alarm clock wakes them up in the morning. They check the latest news & weather while eating breakfast. They text someone to say they'll be coming over later. They mount the phone on their car's dash with navigation/traffic information up and music playing, connected through bluetooth. They play a quick game of some sort while on their lunch break at work. After work, they hook it back up to the car and call the friend through the speaker system on their way over. They hang out at the friends house and maybe show them some amazing photo or funny video they took or found. Through all this, they may highlight how wonderful the battery life is.

There are so many real, every day uses that people are genuinely interested in seeing. It's silly to show off a few third party apps that appeal to the 0.01% when you can so easily appeal to the masses.

Pretty sure they've done those a long time ago, they are likely wanting to show unique apps and how it's used. I never knew you could take a heartbeat til one of these ads came out.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
A lot of Apple-directed frustration in the force, I sense lately.

I think what people are saying is, we are ready to take it to the next level. :cool:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Find it really amusing how so many people get so fired up by TV add.
There are number of TV channels in Aus that pump up commercials 24/7, I guess the same is true in us and uk.
Tune into one of these, you'll love it ;)

You have been on MR since 2008 and this is the first time you have realised ads get this reaction ??? Really?? :rolleyes:

I think you missing the point , the commercials have to have something to do with apple or the same industry that Apple is in.

----------

I think what people are saying is, we are ready to take it to the next level. :cool:

You heard of "fear is the path to the dark side, fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

Fear = Apple buying Beats.... This **** just got real!!!!! Disturbance u do sense....

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
What commercial was that?I'm surprised you know what I would say, given you don't know me at all.What unique feature was shown in this ad, then?

What makes the iPhone special to me, is 'the feel' of the hardware and software. The hardware feels and looks much nicer than the competition. The software feels and works much nicer than the competition. The nicess is in fact a unique property. Apple should emphasize that, the feeling you have when encountering something special. That emotion should be transmitted to the audience.

The emotion they're trying to convey now is that the AppStore has endless possibilities. To be honest, most people don't want that or need that. Most people aren't special, most people don't need special apps. Most people want to have a pleasent experience doing everyday stuff. Apple delivers on that experience, but the marketing does not deliver that story.

If most people's needs are so mundane, why would a boring 30-60 second commercial about specs or, oooo!, a new Intel chip they don't really understand compel a person to buy an iPhone? A person who, before the commercial, was just lounging on the couch, having a drink, watching a movie or tv show and really not expecting or interested in a spec lecture. I'm willing to bet Apple had focus groups to tell them what catches people's attention longer. There are two basic phases of getting a new customer's attention. First, you catch them in their living room with just enough info to get them interested in learning more. Then, the interested person looks into it further on their own. That's how luxury car commercials work and pretty much every high-ticket item works. Cheap crap sells by trying to look like they have great specs. High quality items assume you already know their specs are great and show you the sizzle on top of all the nitty gritty.

You said you like the "feel" of all that Apple does. How, exactly, is a commercial supposed to convey that to a person? You can't tell or show that to anyone. The commercial is supposed to get the person interested enough to go check an iPhone out; try a friend's or find a store. THAT'S when they can find out how it "feels" to them. Those boring Samsung ads about "wall huggers" spend all their precious time on ONE feature and one that most people would know depends on how the person is using their phone. I don't find that compelling at all.

----------

My post had nothing to do with photos nor videos. I'm speaking of documents, ie word, pdf, spreadsheets etc.

Are people really composing/editing that much business stuff on a phone? And wouldn't they have something like Dropbox to store and share documents? I have Dropbox, Box AND an ftp app on my iPhone. Besides, the Office apps have a Share function to attach to an email. I know it might be nice to use the iPhone for random file storage but it's really not that crucial when there are other work flows and could cause performance issues.

Last edited:

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Does it show actual business people Replying to an email and not being able to attach a file?

You can with other mail apps such as CloudMagic. I can never understand how "business people" and "power users" don't try to overcome such a minuscule problem to do their "business", instead they choose to complain about everything. :eek:

----------

People just like to hate for the sake of hating. I don't know why they haven't moved to Android or Windows since they're so unhappy with Apple. :rolleyes:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Of course there is a file system in iOS, only Apple does not allow you to use it. You have to jailbreak an iOS device to obtain the same level of control that other platforms offer their users out of the box.

I didn't think it was necessary to insert "user-accessible" in my sentence.. but thank you, Captain Obvious.

What you can or can't do on jailbroken iOS devices or other platforms is irrelevant to the context of the message I was responding to.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Here's how my life would change with no smartphones: I'd get a clear, intelligible call from someone on other end who wasn't shouting, that would last for more than thirty seconds before disconnecting.

I know it sounds like science fiction, and the real purpose of phones is for playing games, taking photos of your food, watching Hi Definition movies and listening to Low Definition music, but I can dream, just not the same "Dream" Apple has.

So what you're saying is that smartphones like the iPhone changed your life.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Once again, this ad only applies to the six people using Apps like this. For the mass, this is not a very effective way to sell a product. That ad didn't convince me to buy an iPhone. Its an ad I wouldn't waste my time watching.

Why not make an ad that focuses on the product that is being sold, and what makes the product great, unique features, and how it is a good fit. I almost like the Scamscum advertisements for this reasons. They highlight the pros of their product. Not that I would ever buy a Scamscum product though. It still doesn't compare to iPhone.

On the bright side, the music was a good choice, and it did show six (although rare) instances where the iPhone comes into use that fit right into these six people's life style. Again, not sure that the millions of iPhone owners actually care though.

You said this better than me. I'm not a firefighter and I don't need some spinny thingy in my headphone jack. I'm not a doctor needing to decipher a foreign language. And I sure as hell don't need to plot my flight course on a iPhone.
I'm just a regular Joe like the majority of you. I work a 9 to 5. Apple should be concentrating on us normal folks. And would a professional really substitute specialized equipment for a consumer device? A professional photographer wouldn't substitute a professional grade camera for a iPhone.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
You said this better than me. I'm not a firefighter and I don't need some spinny thingy in my headphone jack. I'm not a doctor needing to decipher a foreign language. And I sure as hell don't need to plot my flight course on a iPhone.
I'm just a regular Joe like the majority of you. I work a 9 to 5. Apple should be concentrating on us normal folks. And would a professional really substitute specialized equipment for a consumer device? A professional photographer wouldn't substitute a professional grade camera for a iPhone.

Think "Wheaties". Breakfast of Champions.

Not Breakfast of Normal Folks, even though it's the normal folks consuming bowlfuls.

Highlighting the best and brightest who use your product is always a winning strategy.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Not Breakfast of Normal Folks, even though it's the normal folks consuming bowlfuls.

Highlighting the best and brightest who use your product is always a winning strategy.

But those people on Wheaties boxes played sports that normal people could play in their back yards, in the streets, video games or school. And those people on Wheaties boxes are real individuals that you can watch in real life. Lebron James advertising the phone makes more sense then some nameless pilot. Viewing a sporting event on the iPhone relates to many more people compared to this Apple commercial.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

That's right. For one, people think "well, if it can do THAT, I know it'll work for what I need" and two, people like to think they will do more with something than they actually will. How many SUV owners REALLY need an off-road vehicle? Seriously, lol.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Apples latest generation of ads are not really noteworthy or memorable like many of those of the past.
Just corporate blah blah blah unlike the old iPod commercials or even the "Mac versus PC" ads.
I remember these, even years later.
The current crop will be forgotten in no time.
Drivel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.