Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I would rather a business used a proper professional piece of equipment, not some cheap consumer mobile phone with a add on plugged into it.
Something that won't run out of battery, stop working when it gets wet, or shatters when it's dropped on the ground.

Proper equipment will be rugged, hard as nails, last years, and tested in the harshest of conditions costing thousands.

Sheesh, really.

For you.. but how about for some people (starter) that can't buy $10k professional equipment... iPhone is good enough... btw.. even Bentley are starting using iPhone/iPad for creating video ads.. which result is close enough for using $100k professional video equipment..

Sheesh, really. The world doesn't revolve around on you.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I am sorry, but it's a really stupid analogy. Smartphone is not a car. It's a multipurpose device that you always have on you. It's only natural for it to be used for a variety of purposes.

Using this device to control other things makes perfect sense. And this is what sets iPhone apart from Android phones - there is so much 3rd party hardware that supports iOS. Apple is spot on to highlight this in their ads.

I agree analogy was sort of lame. As for 3rd party support, not so much. Every one of the apps or hardware add-on are either available for Android (some Blackberry) or have an Android equivalent. The app stores are pretty much on par now. Both have excellent apps and both have absolute garbage.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I can't speak for all, but I don't think people are missing the point. The capabilities they are demonstrating have less to do with the phone and more to do with the developers creating the apps which for the most part are available on other platforms.

The idea is is to hammer the point home that a smartphone is the future of general purpose computing.

Wow, is this commercial for real? DO you honestly think professionals in thier field are going to use an iPhone as their tool instead of a specialized tool that would be 10x better?
A vet isn't going to use an iphone as a heartrate monitor, a gemologist isn't going to use an iphone as a ****** magnifying glass, a pilot isn't going to use an iphone as gps, a nurse isn't going to use an iphone as a translator, a fireman isn't using an iphone as a dispatcher..

Now enthusiasts MIGHT use it, but even then, it's not like the phone can just most of this stuff on it's own, you still need specialized equipment that hooks up to the phone... And yes I know these are real apps but still, I doubt most of them are very successful.

A vet may rush to a scene to check on an animal with the equipment they have on hand. They can't bring their entire setup with them.

A fire department might be using an old Compaq 486 as a dispatch computer. Why can't they use an iPhone?

And for both those purposes, why can't an iPhone do the job? It's a computer with dedicated developers.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This doesn't appeal to anyone. Last time I monitored the heart rate of a horse was erm, never.

99.99% of the customers use their phones for Facebook, Whatsapp, Snapchat, email, camera, photos. Show off Touch ID, the camera, the App Store, slo-mo, etc. Why not emphasize that the iPhone is great at those things?

And how exactly did you come by that statistic, and the implication that is all they do.

I seriously wonder if the guys who made this TRULY understand what makes the iPhone so special...

I suspect they understand it better than you do

----------

Sorry, but as a Potential customer. I want to know how good it is as a device in it's own right.

If the battery life excellent, the camera excellent, what can it do that other devices I may see in the stores can't do.

Or will we just skip over any actual facts, and just assume it's great?

Most of the potential buyers don't understand what specs mean. Thus ads full of specs might as be in Klingon. But they understand the idea of how they might be able to use something. Thus advertising that focuses on uses, not specs.

----------

Really? Please tell me step by step how you REPLY (per my original post) to an email and then attach a document (without the workaround of creating a new email through a sandboxed app and then trying to copy the document, going back to the other email you are replying to and pasting it and hope it works).

Ah so we see the real issue. It's not that you can't do it, it's that you, in your great wisdom of how things are supposed to be done, don't like how Apple chose to do it because it's not your way.

----------

Well, Apple doesn't have a new product in the iOS line to advertise so their options are limited if they want to even bother advertising.

Even when they have something new they do these kind of ads. They never do ads about specs etc.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Spin it any way you want, your posting history tells me all I need to know. I simply want to reply to an email and add an attachment. Not hard. A basic business function. I realize most hipsters and baristas have no use for such a function, but others in the enterprise and business world do.

In fact photos and videos are treated EXACTLY the way documents should be treated. They have their own folder where all other apps can access them.

Ah so we see the real issue. It's not that you can't do it, it's that you, in your great wisdom of how things are supposed to be done, don't like how Apple chose to do it because it's not your way.

----------

Even when they have something new they do these kind of ads. They never do ads about specs etc.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Wasn't Apple looking for a new ad agency? If so, it seems even they recognize these ads suck

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
Wow, lots of hate going around.

I liked the Ad. The whole point is to show what it is capable of. Considering that it can do all of these amazing things beyond checking Facebook and sending email, will make it more compelling. Sure, the vast majority of people won't have a need for anything specific shown, but it will get people to think, about what it can do for things that they do every day..

These Ads aren't about comparing specs, or about how our phones battery lasts 10% longer than yours if you turn on a special mode. It's about a lifestyle, about how technology can enhance your life, beyond making a phone call and sending a text.

Plenty of other industries do the same thing. Like this Ad from Jeep I counted about 15 seconds of actual video of the product. (60 second ad) They are selling you a lifestyle, a dream, you aren't buying just a car, you are buying freedom to explore the world and do amazing things.

If they showed an Ad with the car stuck in freeway traffic like the 99% will do, then that really isn't much of a selling point over any other vehicle now is it?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Why don't these ads every reflect how the iPhone is the better choice for regular, day-to-day use?

redking79

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
NYC
Solid commerical.

It's hard to top a company that produces quality products combined with top notch marketing.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
...I simply want to reply to an email and add an attachment. Not hard. A basic business function. ...

In fact photos and videos are treated EXACTLY the way documents should be treated. They have their own folder where all other apps can access them.

I understand your point, but that also countermines part of what makes iOS secure. If you dump all of documents into one folder, then all of your apps would have access to them. Perfect for sharing data between apps, you can finally attach a document to an email reply, but it would also mean a crappy developer could make a bad coding mistake and start deleting documents. Or a malicious hacker gets you to install their App and sends your documents to their server.

As a business / enterprise user, I have no problem with Apple's Walled Garden. I would rather my potentially sensitive data be secure, and isolated, than be opened up to any App I may have installed.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Most of the potential buyers don't understand what specs mean. Thus ads full of specs might as be in Klingon. But they understand the idea of how they might be able to use something. Thus advertising that focuses on uses, not specs.
Saying a phone has all-day battery life, or photos will turn out great day or night, indoors or out is not Klingon.

It IS however impossible for Apple to say these things because they've chosen form over function. So what we get in return are ads like these, that convey no useful information.

:apple:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
The video thumbnail with jewelry maker. Is that just the regular camera or any number of macro apps or is it a "special" macro app? My friend would like to use the phone to make jewelry as well.

EDIT: Never mind. I see there is a macro attachment.

vanbach

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Good but I hope when the iphone 6 comes out they start something new. Id like to see a different style.:apple:

larry t

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
No, not really.

You really want a fire officer checking his iPhone, or a vet come to check out you horse by holding an iPhone against it?

Next will be an operating theater, no expensive professional equipment, just a few iPhones with some cheap addons plugged into them whilst you are having your heart bypass operation. :D

Well the iphone 5S is basically a PC with the A7 and all, but surgeon's use these devices regularly, coaches use them to train players, its also been used in Olympic training. Lots of people use these devices this way. You may have no need to, but whose to say no one does.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
I understand your point, but that also countermines part of what makes iOS secure. If you dump all of documents into one folder, then all of your apps would have access to them. Perfect for sharing data between apps, you can finally attach a document to an email reply, but it would also mean a crappy developer could make a bad coding mistake and start deleting documents. Or a malicious hacker gets you to install their App and sends your documents to their server.

As a business / enterprise user, I have no problem with Apple's Walled Garden. I would rather my potentially sensitive data be secure, and isolated, than be opened up to any App I may have installed.

If third-party apps are a concern, would you then agree that one way of keeping the data on your phone secure would be to have a built-in mail app with basic functionality such that you don't need to immediately hit the app store and download random apps until you find something you can use?

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Next will be an operating theater, no expensive professional equipment, just a few iPhones with some cheap addons plugged into them whilst you are having your heart bypass operation. :D

Give it time, it will happen, iPhone 14s's will be managing the nanobots that do this.

Better faster cheaper safer ...... until an iOS 23 bug means they turn us all into grey goo. Oops.

gjvon

macrumors member
after reading these comments, I think it is best not to associate with this community any longer. On a mac rumor website nagging about every little thing. Home Button too small. Design too edgy. Commercial too short and too personal. iPad too big. iPhone too fast for casual users. Like.... man why are some of you like this? What made you this way?Why can't you just like something nice?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Way to miss the point of the ad.. The idea of this campaign is to show that iOS devices can be used in a variety of situations/purposes. And in many of them - iPhone controls other hardware.

Or should their ads just show people using their iPhone to check Facebook and browse the web?

Oh and newsflash - iPhone IS a "display device that runs some software". That's what smartphone and computers generally do :rolleyes:

If the ad was accurate, it would show people using Facebook, Twitter and playing music ;) cause your average user is not going to be in any of those situations. The professional users, they will just get the right tool for the situation.

Problem with this dd , where the iPhone controls the hardware, the same app can very well exist on android, thus there is nothing special about the iPhone . Take the additional hardware away, and the powerful 5s cannot do most of what the ad says.

The iPhone is effectively just a display that runs the app.

Most people who look at that ad will not realise the caveat at the end where they flash the point that hardware is required.

----------

The video thumbnail with jewelry maker. Is that just the regular camera or any number of macro apps or is it a "special" macro app? My friend would like to use the phone to make jewelry as well.

EDIT: Never mind. I see there is a macro attachment.

Attachment.

Though I would say the iPhone would be too small. I think the iPad mini would be perfect for that.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I am sorry, but it's a really stupid analogy. Smartphone is not a car. It's a multipurpose device that you always have on you. It's only natural for it to be used for a variety of purposes.

Using this device to control other things makes perfect sense. And this is what sets iPhone apart from Android phones - there is so much 3rd party hardware that supports iOS. Apple is spot on to highlight this in their ads.

But the extra hardware that they refer isn’t always on you is it? The analogy stands.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
For you.. but how about for some people (starter) that can't buy $10k professional equipment... iPhone is good enough... btw.. even Bentley are starting using iPhone/iPad for creating video ads.. which result is close enough for using $100k professional video equipment..

Sheesh, really. The world doesn't revolve around on you.

I see:

Two iPhone 5s’ were mounted onto $75 BeastGrip lens adaptors that allowed them to use threaded lenses, including the $38 Neewer 0.3X Baby Death 37mm Fisheye Lens, as well as a Schneider iPro lens, which you can buy in a kit for $230. Oh! I almost forgot — they also used one of Freefly’s $5,000 MōVI M5 gimbal stabilizers for all of those beautiful handheld shots.

Just like the typical consumer uses... Yes I see! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.