Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Wow, I'm surprised by all the negativity surrounding this. Considering that Apple is partnering with IBM, is there really any surprise that they're going to focus on business uses? Plus, people are impressed when they see that the smartphone that they use can be used in professional capacities.

It's August, the iPhone 5S has been out for a year. Specs aren't particularly exciting or interesting to a lot of users out there and there's a lot of awareness of the iPhone already. I'm not surprised that Apple isn't focusing on specs and is instead focusing on what you can do with the phone. Just because it's focused on business more so than Facebook or whatever doesn't make it a bad ad. I mean, even the most basic of smartphones can access Facebook and Twitter...

Serious business apps or toy gimmicky business apps?

They seem more like things that are not bad and OK for the home user, or someone who work for home. Not for use in a REAL business.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
It's not that I'm worried about. iOS doesn't give third-party apps any way of being default. Siri can only send and read off Mail messages, sharing functions all use Mail, and iOS will only sync only your Mail accounts with your other devices (most important to me).

Mail might also be more reliable since third-party apps have strict rules on when they can be running. I don't see how a third-party mail app can fetch emails every 15 minutes, for example. AFAIK, they can only resume activity in the background by receiving a push notification.

All IMAP services sync across all devices. Can you explain how this is different?

Regarding fetching, it hasn't been an issue for me. If I set it to push, I get push, with immediate notifications. If I set it to fetch every 15 minutes, it's always up-to-date when I open the app, unless I received an e-mail in the last few minutes or so.

While I understand your concerns, the fact remains. Replying with an attachment is easy on iOS.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
No, not really.

You really want a fire officer checking his iPhone, or a vet come to check out you horse by holding an iPhone against it?

Next will be an operating theater, no expensive professional equipment, just a few iPhones with some cheap addons plugged into them whilst you are having your heart bypass operation. :D

Yes, really.

You probably just use your iPhone only as a phone but to some they see it as a life changing device. That's the point of the ad and the title.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yes, really.

You probably just use your iPhone only as a phone but to some they see it as a life changing device. That's the point of the ad and the title.

I would rather a business used a proper professional piece of equipment, not some cheap consumer mobile phone with a add on plugged into it.
Something that won't run out of battery, stop working when it gets wet, or shatters when it's dropped on the ground.

Proper equipment will be rugged, hard as nails, last years, and tested in the harshest of conditions costing thousands.

Sheesh, really.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm pretty tired of seeing Apple ads with super snappy OS's, transitioning from one super snappy app to another, with zero lag, and zero wait time...such false advertisement.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Both require third party apps and services (ie dropbox) to act as a "file storage" rather than accessing a common documents folder on the device itself, presenting it's own problems.

Yes, those apps connect to cloud services like Dropbox/GoogleDrive/Box...etc, to get your files. Personally, I consider the fact that my phone is constantly in sync with the files on my computer, and I can use that as a repository for attachments (even if they aren't stored on the device) as a huge benefit. However, if you don't like this, other apps can do the same with locally stored files.

Take Accompli for example:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acompli-email-calendar-for/id829384901?mt=8

Let's say I want to send an attachment, but I'm not sure where it is. It has a search button, that goes through all my cloud services, along with all email attachments either sent or received from my connected accounts (categorized by date), and finds the file I'm looking for.

If it's still not there, I can open up whichever app happens to have the file, and move it over. It doesn't get any easier than this...

product-files-02.png

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
You honestly think that is acceptable? It's not extra steps, it is a PITA workaround for a rudimentary business task. If that was the way it worked on any other OS, it would be universally panned on this website.

I agree with you - it's a pain. But realistically, there is no way for Apple to provide Mail-centric way to attach generic files in iOS7 and prior. There is no file system in iOS, the closest there is is a Camera Roll.. Which is why they can only support Photo/Video attachments up until now.

This is likely to change in iOS8 with share sheets, and iCloud Drive acting as OS-wide file system.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
These ads suffer from the more is better problem. They should pick one practical use they think is really cool and show that. I will say that the ads are filmed really well, but what the people are doing is too subtle to follow so many vignettes in a minute's time—especially if you were watching this on network TV rather than purposefully watching it. I notice with the Samsung S5 they'll advertise one thing, like battery life. They won't mention in the same ad that the phone is water proof--that's a separate ad.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I thought this was well done and creates some positive demonstrations of some of the thousands of things that can be done with an iPhone.

Great stuff! :cool:

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I just don't understand how these commercials help promote the iPhone when the apps are the focus. You can perform these tasks on other platforms. Its almost as if they are preying on the ignorance of consumers by making them think these are iPhone features.

If developers are going to be the focus, the approach should be different, IMO.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Once again, this ad only applies to the six people using Apps like this. For the mass, this is not a very effective way to sell a product. That ad didn't convince me to buy an iPhone. Its an ad I wouldn't waste my time watching.

Just because the ad does nothing for you says nothing about the other of millions that will see it.

Plus they have done a variety of these ads targeted to various groups, as well as ads directly about the hardware.

Would you rather they copy Samsung etc and just insult the competition and say nothing about their products

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Telling people they can AirDrop, subscribe to RSS feeds in Safari, use Passbook, and whatever, is flat out boring. So is talking about battery life. I mean who does remember all the Motorola Droid ads from a few years back? Do you remember any of the Samsung S3 ads that aired a few years back? They have been using the same strategy for three series of phones after all.

The iPhone and iPad ads have been directed towards multiple demographics, and they work because of that. These of course aren't ads that make you go out and buy the device then and there, but they are ones that come back to mind later.

How many Super Bowl game day ads do you remember from five years ago, compared to Apple ads? Even if you only saw them all once, I bet you can pretty much recall most of the Mac vs PC ads.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah... Shatter those dreams with the Beats acquisition. But overall great ad following that MacBook Air ad. (But that Beats Pill ad is still out here...) And why are these devices depicted as life-changing dream machines? I have one and it's just a practical phone.
Because u choose to use if as a practical phone.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
All IMAP services sync across all devices. Can you explain how this is different?

IMAP services are you messages, notes, etc. The IMAP (or POP) accounts themselves are not synced. This means that I will only have my 8 email accounts automatically set up on my iPhone after I sync or restore from my Mac if I use Mail, which I do. Plus it's one more thing to find and install, like how you have to install stuff simply to open TARs and ISOs in Windows.

I don't need to bother with third-party mail clients because I don't type and send Word documents on a 4" screen. For people who do deal with text documents on an iPhone, I don't see why there's no option to attach documents. It's inconvenient.

----------

How many Super Bowl game day ads do you remember from five years ago, compared to Apple ads? Even if you only saw them all once, I bet you can pretty much recall most of the Mac vs PC ads.

But the Mac vs PC ads were all about everyday tasks like managing photos, typing documents, and removing viruses, except the last one doesn't need to be done on a Mac. Honestly, I don't remember the details of any of the newer iPhone TV ads where they show various apps.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm pretty tired of seeing Apple ads with super snappy OS's, transitioning from one super snappy app to another, with zero lag, and zero wait time...such false advertisement.

My iPhone 5S has no lag. Not false advertising for me.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
People in this thread missing the point completely.

Big ***** surprise.

Apple is demonstrating the iPhone, and iOS, as a PLATFORM.

As in, this isn't just a smartphone, but something more. It's a device in your pocket that is capable of boundless things. The most useful tool you possess.

As for the complaining about attachments? Your desktop computer has attachments, too, like scanners or printers.

Then there's the "elitist liberal" remark, which comes completely from outer space. Yes, front line firefighters and veterinarians are liberal elites. Go have lunch with Sarah Palin and Rob Ford, buddy.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I can't speak for all, but I don't think people are missing the point. The capabilities they are demonstrating have less to do with the phone and more to do with the developers creating the apps which for the most part are available on other platforms.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
As for the ad, the examples shown of iPhone's usefulness don't relate to me, and the music was garbage. I'm more interested in how long the battery lasts, camera quality (at night), ease of use... But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Well then you're the type of consumer that will be best convinced by detailed presentations or reviews which present objective facts about the product. Conversely, video advertisements are predominantly to paint a brand image and build emotional rapport with users who are more subjective than objective. Unfortunately, as you're more the former group, you won't be enjoying many of the tech ads these days!

Some people will respond very well to seeing iPhones used in interesting niches - it paints the product as powerful, flexible, and a platform for innovation.

For me, I value both sides. I value the objective data (e.g. the prowess of the A7 chip), but as I'm involved in the development of a few apps, seeing other innovative and effective apps is inspiring.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Oh God, someone please run an ice-pick through my head, from one ear to the other.

Whomever it was at Apple that promoted the idea of taking their advertising in house . . . . ?

Yeah, send them to man a radar station at the North Pole.

Jeebeesus, what a grotesque use of money, putting this dreck on the television.

Bring back the Shamwow commercials.

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
You better hope that if your place is on fire the firemen don't use apple maps :eek: . I can imagine the news reports: "Local firemen travelled to a lake 4 miles away to combat the fire and wasted over an hour until the found the true location."

harmar

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2014
Wow, is this commercial for real? DO you honestly think professionals in thier field are going to use an iPhone as their tool instead of a specialized tool that would be 10x better?
A vet isn't going to use an iphone as a heartrate monitor, a gemologist isn't going to use an iphone as a ****** magnifying glass, a pilot isn't going to use an iphone as gps, a nurse isn't going to use an iphone as a translator, a fireman isn't using an iphone as a dispatcher..

Now enthusiasts MIGHT use it, but even then, it's not like the phone can just most of this stuff on it's own, you still need specialized equipment that hooks up to the phone... And yes I know these are real apps but still, I doubt most of them are very successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.