Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

begemotik228

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2014
EU
I believe these ads are just to sell the remaining stock of 5s right before the 6 pops up. Same was with the Air stickers ad. Think they actually sold more stickers than the Airs with that one though.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
You are certainly entitled to feel this way about this ad.. But I think you're over-dramatizing and overthinking this it a bit.

The ad shows people in different walks of life using their iPhones in their daily jobs.. A meteorologist, a doctor, a jeweler, a veterinarian, a pilot, an EMT responder. Jennifer O'Connor song in background. Does it "realistically" depict every one of these people in their daily lives? Probably not. Is it an "inspirational" ad? Of course - that's what's advertisements tend to be. I also fail to see what's so "American liberal elite" about this. Do people in the other countries not have doctors or fly airplanes?

The alternative would be a more "realistic" ad showing people using their iPhones to check Facebook, send messages and browse the web. That would hardly be an effective or interesting ad in 2014, when any $50 Android phone can easily do those things.

You can be put off by "the vibe" of this ad all you want, but I think it's appropriately inspirational and likely to strike a chord with many people.

I just don´t think there´s as big a market for self-important, politically-correct, fantasies about some white Americans significance in the world as some of these people who are behind these ads do."

Apple had been the best comsumer electronics and computing company in the world. Why? Because their products were more useful than anyone elses and worked better. That´s it. End of story. Show that in the ads or get out. The more they try to be inspirational the more they just look out of touch and arrogant.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Multiple IMAP accounts. 8 years of everyday use is enough proof for me. That's what I say.

This does not detract at all from my statement.

The default app is plenty reliable, but no evidence has been shown that indicates the other apps which provide the "reply with attachment" functionality, aren't just as reliable.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Has Apple changed, or have you? That's a question worth asking. You seem to have a very pessimistic viewpoint on Apple. Myself, however, I have continue to see Apple for what they they have always been. Leaders, steady and strong in their focus and forward movement. No knee-jerk reactions and bottom-feeding like many of their competitors.

These ads are great to me because they combine real-world use with the love of music. They do not attack the users of competitor phones like certain big-name competitors continue to do. Why are you complaining about these ads? Will you ever be happy?

I don´t know. Let´s look at Apple´s sales relative to its competitors outside of where you live. What do you see?

I can tell you what we see. Everyone here thinks Apple is something like Obama somehow: in love with themselves while everything is going to hell and thinking that they are the ones who are right and everyone else is wrong. On the other hand, companies like Huawei just make good stuff and get on with it. As a consequence, Apple is losing all the favoritism they earned primarily from the iPod years. Back then everyone loved them -- they made great stuff that was fun and they were cool as a byproduct of how good the things they made were. This continued for many years after. But now suddenly in the last couple years it seems more and more like they hope we will buy their stuff because of how much they care about the poor and wretched people around the world as well as the environment. That doesn't work. Trust me.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Sorry............ You mean you cannot attach a file with an Email?
You are kidding right?

In business you don't usually attach photos of some random drunk people that you took with your iPhone. You usually send word, pages and pdf documents. Most time you have to attach more than one file.....so you open email, attach word document, and then attach pdf to the same email....etc.
You can do that without 3rd party apps and going around in circles?

It is sad u have to use 3rd party apps for something as basic and important as attaching attachments in email. That is one of the reason i don't even have email set on my iPad....because is useless for that.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Antidote

I closed out of the sappy commercial and was presented with the tiles to select another vid. I clicked on a pic of Steve, watched the clip and it was all good again :)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
You can do that without 3rd party apps and going around in circles?

If hitting the "attach" button in a non-built-in app equates to "going around in circles" for you:

vL6yaXAl.png

Then you'll have to lump in nearly every corporate e-mail deployment on desktops/laptops, because almost none of them use built-in e-mail clients.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Once again, this ad only applies to the six people using Apps like this. For the mass, this is not a very effective way to sell a product. That ad didn't convince me to buy an iPhone. Its an ad I wouldn't waste my time watching.

Why not make an ad that focuses on the product that is being sold, and what makes the product great, unique features, and how it is a good fit. I almost like the Scamscum advertisements for this reasons. They highlight the pros of their product. Not that I would ever buy a Scamscum product though. It still doesn't compare to iPhone.

On the bright side, the music was a good choice, and it did show six (although rare) instances where the iPhone comes into use that fit right into these six people's life style. Again, not sure that the millions of iPhone owners actually care though.

Ads don't always motivate you to buy a product. Often times ads work to establish an image/brand, something that is very important for Apple.

ZzBoG

macrumors member
May 7, 2006
they really should not show firefighters relying on iOS maps to get to the fire.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah... Shatter those dreams with the Beats acquisition. But overall great ad following that MacBook Air ad. (But that Beats Pill ad is still out here...) And why are these devices depicted as life-changing dream machines? I have one and it's just a practical phone.

That's because you haven't found a life changing use case for it yet. The iPhone changed the way my wife (a teacher) keeps track of everything easily and enjoying her life. Being high tech without the high tech headache.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
That's because you haven't found a life changing use case for it yet. The iPhone changed the way my wife (a teacher) keeps track of everything easily and enjoying her life. Being high tech without the high tech headache.

People take everything for granted. I remember 2007 when Steve swiped the screen with his finger and it SCROLLED and the audience when like WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, TOUCHSCREEN, SCROLLING WITH YOUR FINGER AND IT GOES ON AND ON? WOOOOOOOW. Now if the phone takes more than 3 seconds to google something it's "bullcrap, i hate this phone, it sucks, everything sucks".

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Do you have any data that shows a built-in e-mail app is more reliable?

It's not that I'm worried about. iOS doesn't give third-party apps any way of being default. Siri can only send and read off Mail messages, sharing functions all use Mail, and iOS will only sync only your Mail accounts with your other devices (most important to me).

Mail might also be more reliable since third-party apps have strict rules on when they can be running. I don't see how a third-party mail app can fetch emails every 15 minutes, for example. AFAIK, they can only resume activity in the background by receiving a push notification.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Attaching other files (PDFs, etc) when replying to a message requires an extra steps, which you describe.. But it does work fine - I have emailed numerous PDF and Word docs this way.. never a problem.

You honestly think that is acceptable? It's not extra steps, it is a PITA workaround for a rudimentary business task. If that was the way it worked on any other OS, it would be universally panned on this website.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Wow, I'm surprised by all the negativity surrounding this. Considering that Apple is partnering with IBM, is there really any surprise that they're going to focus on business uses? Plus, people are impressed when they see that the smartphone that they use can be used in professional capacities.

It's August, the iPhone 5S has been out for a year. Specs aren't particularly exciting or interesting to a lot of users out there and there's a lot of awareness of the iPhone already. I'm not surprised that Apple isn't focusing on specs and is instead focusing on what you can do with the phone. Just because it's focused on business more so than Facebook or whatever doesn't make it a bad ad. I mean, even the most basic of smartphones can access Facebook and Twitter...

CartoonCat

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2014
We'll change the world for the better with iPhone in hand
Come on young idealistic people rise up and take a stand
The earth has been waiting for thousands of years
for the iPhone to heal us and dry away our tears.
it won't be much longer till we triumph over hate
Well just use the right apps and open the gate
to love and to peace and to glory for all
we all will march forward and never shall fall
Oh iPhone sweet iPhone I swear we'll prevail
Oh iPhone sweet iPhone how could we fail

Come on everybody sing it!!!

Boring... Boring... Boring...
Almost as boring as my stupid poem that took 90 seconds to write.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Plus, people are impressed when they see that the smartphone that they use can be used in professional capacities.

I suppose if they're gullible enough to think professional jewelers have replaced their jewelers lenses with iPhones, they'd be impressed.

If Apple's goal was to bore people to sleep and subconsciously processes the subliminal messages in the ad, then they've almost got it. It just needs to be a little longer.

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
nice price increase on apps just before this ad came out

itrasnlate doubled :O

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
American Elite? Having an iPhone and doing stuff is being American Elitist? And who the hell identify themselves as "NON AMERICAN"? I'm from Italy, but i'd never say "We, NON americans blah blah blah". What the hell does it even mean? All i see outside are iPhones and now a little more of Nexuses and Samsungs. Nobody hates apple, nobody hates anything really. People buy and use their phones. Hate is only on the internet, generated by stupid kids. How can you even HATE a phone? How did you deduce that NONamerican customers are turning their backs on iPhones is beyond me. The rest of the world (like, 70% or more) are damn POOR (unfortunately). So what do you want apple to do? Show poor people using iPhones doing... what exactly? being poor? It's a freaking ad. If you can't buy an iPhone and do stuff people do in the ad may be it's time to change your boring, insignificant life? How's that for thinking outside of bubble?

Do you live in Portofino or something? In Italy overall, Android is absolutely killing iOS now. I guess you think Apple should continue to focus on celebrity charity auctions, solar power plants, and finding ways to make telephones out of more expensive materials. My opinion is that Apple would be better off finding ways of making phones that Italians would buy in hordes and making ads that show them why.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I suppose if they're gullible enough to think professional jewelers have replaced their jewelers lenses with iPhones, they'd be impressed.

gotta say I said wtf when I realised what she was doing. Who the heck ok'd that? she's using tools like that and an iPhone? did her magnifying glass break or something? how dumb are the target audience for this ad?

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
If hitting the "attach" button in a non-built-in app equates to "going around in circles" for you:

Then you'll have to lump in nearly every corporate e-mail deployment on desktops/laptops, because almost none of them use built-in e-mail clients.

Using 3rd party apps for email you lose a lot of native functionalities (some poster already explained them in this topic). It just seems unbelievable that Apple don't want to include attach-files (other than just picture and movie) to native email app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.