Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Apple is totally nuts.

I can buy a nice 14" Asus ultrathin laptop with 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD and with a superior OLED panel for the same money. At the same time, Apple is offering a crappy 8GB RAM with 256GB storage and a very old outdated IPS display.

I will keep my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro and M2 MacBook Air for probably 10 years+ if Apple really thinks this and will switch to Linux + Windows as Mac is really overpriced like hell now.
Because the metal chassis and processor are both so good, it feels like Apple don't feel obliged to make much effort elsewhere on their devices. It looks pretty and the single core speed is brilliant whilst keeping cool, but they're really not trying hard otherwise.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The users that think 8GB is enough make me laugh :D Defending 8GB in 2024 is concerning. Im sure if people did more than browse the web their minds would change

It's not like the entry level M1 MBA is the only laptop that Apple sells. They have an entire lineup to meet a differing array of needs. You can even go all the way to 128gb of ram. The problem isn't that 8gb ram isn't enough (it suffices for me), but that the people who do legitimately need more ram would rather whine about it than simply pay for it or get a 14" MBP for some reason.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
It's not like the entry level M1 MBA is the only laptop that Apple sells. They have an entire lineup to meet a differing array of needs. You can even go all the way to 128gb of ram. The problem isn't that 8gb ram isn't enough (it suffices for me), but that the people who do legitimately need more ram would rather whine about it than simply pay for it or get a 14" MBP for some reason.
"For some reason"= because the price has fallen dramatically for RAM and Apple now charge a >1,000% markup on it, and haven't increased their base RAM for a long time. The fact people complain is natural, because no one wants to be taken advantage of or feel like they're getting shafted by a giant corporation.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
"For some reason"= because the price has fallen dramatically for RAM and Apple now charge a >1,000% markup on it, and haven't increased their base RAM for a long time. The fact people complain is natural, because no one wants to be taken advantage of or feel like they're getting shafted by a giant corporation.
I don't think that's the issue, because the one thing we know for certain is that if even a smallish but vociferous number of those who have actually bought an 8GB system recently were to feed back these kind of complaints, based on genuine performance issues rather than hyperbolic conjecture, Apple would have no choice but do something about it.

What they know is that those complaining are predominantly not customers, and their complaints might be valid in isolation, but that couching them in terms of '8GB is no use for anything but a bit of web browsing and some email' or that 'most users have problems' isn't even slightly true. On the basis of their engineering, development process, testing, macOS and software roadmap, they know these systems are good for the large segment of the market for whom they are designed, and that they'll remain so for the years they need to.

They are certainly into profit as a motivator, and in the economic climate we exist in, investor-driven and controlled as it is, they really have to be whether we like it or not. What they are not, and never have been interested in, is catering to the high volume/low cost market. They can't compete with the likes of Asus, Acer, Dell, HP etc, and the rise of the knock-off Chinese off-brands that occupy that area of he market, so they simply don't want to try. It would be financially ruinous of them to attempt to out-Chuwi Chuwi as just one example. And since that market it well served by Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, and even Chuwi, those that complain they can't get a Mac for the price of a knock-off or have to pay a bit more for upgrades have plenty of choice.
And that's why it's so important for price sensitive people to criticise Apple's base model policy!
This would be true if it weren't for the fact that (as above) that isn't at all the market they're aiming their products at.

The world is full of premium brands that deliberately avoid any attempt at competing for 'price sensitive' customers, and the only thing that might upset these businesses is a global recession. Even then there's still plenty of liquidity in the market for most to sell their products into.

Last edited:

Rookbird¥

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2021
I agree. And this is exactly why Apple keeps 8/256 config as the entry config. They will get a nice profit on it and a huge profit from the “real pro’s” that need more. It’s a win-win for Apple and as a shareholder I can’t blame them. As a consumer I hate it.
It’s not a win for Apple if they start driving customers away which I think is what’s happening.

• Angry
Reactions: hovscorpion12

salz4life

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Fox Lake, IL
I'm looking at 16 just to futurize (is that a word?) myself. I probably don't need it right now, but maybe with OS updates it will be nice to have down the road.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
so can people sue Apple when 8GB isn't going to be enough...?
Well, yes, they can. Or more accurately in those markets (Europe and the UK of example) where there are pretty strict consumer protection laws, products have to be adequately built, fit for purpose, and adequately warrantied over a period rather greater than in the US for example. This gives consumers redress, usually via designated consumer protection agencies. Which means not having to sue, just filing a valid complaint. These same consumer protection laws also typically require advertising to be accurate, so that consumers can make informed choices.

but it's always been like this since we got this iMac LOL
that's what im saying.:D

iMac 21.5" (2017)
2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630)
There is a distinct problem with that system then, because I have the 27-inch version of the same model, and Safari works perfectly well. In fact I can go back to 4GB in a 2006 MacBook Pro, and Safari runs pretty well on even that - though these days it can't load a lot of sites due to modern security protocols which old versions of Safari don't support.

You described system crashes before, and as I said, these can cause cumulative problems due to damaged files, corrupted and uncleared cache files, and lost relationships between OS and application executables and their library files.

-Check how much free space the hard drive has left - about 10% of the drive capacity is good.
-Run Disk Utility, and check the drive for errors.

If all is well, then there are a number of system utilities (YASU used to be a good one) to clean up and purge system-related file debris, and one of these may help.

If the system is still having problems, backup your files, do a clean restore of macOS, reinstall your apps, and restore your files.

I've never met a properly functional Mac yet that wasn't recoverable to perfectly normal performance with some remedial action - and my oldest one dates from 1991. But an 8GB i5 2017 iMac should run quite a lot better than you're describing. It's biggest performance inhibitor is the 5400rpm hard drive.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
This would be true if it weren't for the fact that (as above) that isn't at all the market they're aiming their products at.
To be price sensitive doesn't have to mean that you are poor. I can afford Apple's products, but if I draw the conclusion that Apple is trying to lure me into buying, I don't buy. The fact that Apple is defending their base models mean they have a problem. There's no other way to describe it.
But I'll agree this isn't anything new. Apple sold iMacs with 5400 rpm HDD's not that long ago. That was absolutely abhorrent, and many buyers didn't realise they were fooled. I'm still angered by that. But you know what? I also remember Apple polishers saying that 5400 rpm HDD's were good enough for most people.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I don't think that's the issue, because the one thing we know for certain is that if even a smallish but vociferous number of those who have actually bought an 8GB system recently were to feed back these kind of complaints, based on genuine performance issues rather than hyperbolic conjecture, Apple would have no choice but do something about it.

What they know is that those complaining are predominantly not customers, and their complaints might be valid in isolation, but that couching them in terms of '8GB is no use for anything but a bit of web browsing and some email' or that 'most users have problems' isn't even slightly true. On the basis of their engineering, development process, testing, macOS and software roadmap, they know these systems are good for the large segment of the market for whom they are designed, and that they'll remain so for the years they need to.

They are certainly into profit as a motivator, and in the economic climate we exist in, investor-driven and controlled as it is, they really have to be whether we like it or not. What they are not, and never have been interested in, is catering to the high volume/low cost market. They can't compete with the likes of Asus, Acer, Dell, HP etc, and the rise of the knock-off Chinese off-brands that occupy that area of he market, so they simply don't want to try. It would be financially ruinous of them to attempt to out-Chuwi Chuwi as just one example. And since that market it well served by Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, and even Chuwi, those that complain they can't get a Mac for the price of a knock-off or have to pay a bit more for upgrades have plenty of choice.

The world is full of premium brands that deliberately avoid any attempt at competing for 'price sensitive' customers, and the only thing that might upset these businesses is a global recession. Even then there's still plenty of liquidity in the market for most to sell their products into.
We'll have to agree to disagree, about practically every iota of that. Certainly about your comment that most people that complain here aren't really customers?? At least we agree that Apple are driven by profit.

The "price sensitive" comment is a strange one- wealthy people tend to be quite sharp about anything they perceive as a rip off. RAM and storage are cheap commodities, and there's nothing magical or different when they're stuck inside an Apple device. Rich people will happily pay for intangibles and for quality, but bog-standard commodities like RAM/storage don't fall under either umbrella.

Reactions: TVreporter

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
To be price sensitive doesn't have to mean that you are poor.
I didn't say, suggest or imply it did. I try (not always successfully, admittedly) to say exactly what I mean, and what I mean is that Apple are not in the market to sell product to price sensitive consumers. They have said they cannot compete in that market and have no wish to try.

The fact that Apple is defending their base models mean they have a problem. There's no other way to describe it.
Yes, there is. It's called defending their product against ill informed statements being made by those who don't know what they're talking about.

For some, Apple are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Responding to criticism they think is unjust is their right, and not responding simply amplifies it.

We'll have to agree to disagree, about practically every iota of that. Certainly about your comment that most people that complain here aren't really customers?? At least we agree that Apple are driven by profit.

The "price sensitive" comment is a strange one- wealthy people tend to be quite sharp about anything they perceive as a rip off. RAM and storage are cheap commodities, and there's nothing magical or different when they're stuck inside an Apple device. Rich people will happily pay for intangibles and for quality, but bog-standard commodities like RAM/storage don't fall under either umbrella.
The reason I say that most people who complain (I didn't say here, so don't appreciate the misapplication) are not customers is specifically in relation to this issue of 8GB RAM in systems (since that's the topic), and it's based on the fact that those who have bought 8GB systems generally seem very happy with them. I certainly am, and I'm fairly demanding as a user. And I don't see many complaints about 8GB coming from people saying 'my 8GB system is hopeless' or similar. Indeed, most who identify their systems as 8GB are actually saying they're quite happy.

That's drawn from a number of sources, not just here.

The 'price sensitive' comment is precisely what I meant. It isn't in regard to a generalization as to how you interpret whole groups of people, but the market that Apple as a company is aiming at. They do this kind of research.

I do appreciate the thoughts however. I may need to be more specific about my own clarity!

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Stuff is just too heavy for 8gigs anymore.

And even if you get by fine right now, do you expect it to be acceptably quick in 5 years? What about 10 years? These are expensive computer and they need to last.

Apple defending their low base RAM is just tone deaf.

Reactions: Atog and AlixSPQR

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
The reason I say that most people who complain (I didn't say here, so don't appreciate the misapplication) are not customers is specifically in relation to this issue of 8GB RAM in systems (since that's the topic), and it's based on the fact that those who have bought 8GB systems generally seem very happy with them. I certainly am, and I'm fairly demanding
I apologise for adding the word "here" in, but your wild claim about most people that complain not being customers is baseless. It's a completely and utterly different claim to "those who have bought 8GB systems generally seem very happy". You can't conflate the two, in any vague way shape or form. 🤦‍♂️

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
It’s not a win for Apple if they start driving customers away which I think is what’s happening.
With all respect I think Apple knows more than you about if customers start driving away. And if they can see that trend they will within a minute calculate the business case of doubling ram and storage and make a rational decision on it.

Reactions: za9ra22

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I apologise for adding the word "here" in, but your wild claim about most people that complain not being customers is baseless. It's a completely and utterly different claim to "those who have bought 8GB systems generally seem very happy". You can't conflate the two, in any vague way shape or form. 🤦‍♂️
Wild claim? Oh my, I made no such thing. What I said was that "if even a smallish but vociferous number of those who have actually bought an 8GB system recently were to feed back these kind of complaints, based on genuine performance issues rather than hyperbolic conjecture, Apple would have no choice but do something about it." I also said "And I don't see many complaints about 8GB coming from people saying 'my 8GB system is hopeless' or similar. Indeed, most who identify their systems as 8GB are actually saying they're quite happy."

On edit to add this: @ninecows point above is just about spot on. It's a given that Apple know who their customers are and what they are buying, it's also a given that if the marketplace of potential customers in their target markets are unhappy and resistant, they have no real option but loose lots of sales, or to adjust their product. The two comments I made above are therefore quite compatible with each other.

Last edited:

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Well, yes, they can. Or more accurately in those markets (Europe and the UK of example) where there are pretty strict consumer protection laws, products have to be adequately built, fit for purpose, and adequately warrantied over a period rather greater than in the US for example. This gives consumers redress, usually via designated consumer protection agencies. Which means not having to sue, just filing a valid complaint. These same consumer protection laws also typically require advertising to be accurate, so that consumers can make informed choices.

There is a distinct problem with that system then, because I have the 27-inch version of the same model, and Safari works perfectly well. In fact I can go back to 4GB in a 2006 MacBook Pro, and Safari runs pretty well on even that - though these days it can't load a lot of sites due to modern security protocols which old versions of Safari don't support.

You described system crashes before, and as I said, these can cause cumulative problems due to damaged files, corrupted and uncleared cache files, and lost relationships between OS and application executables and their library files.

-Check how much free space the hard drive has left - about 10% of the drive capacity is good.
-Run Disk Utility, and check the drive for errors.

If all is well, then there are a number of system utilities (YASU used to be a good one) to clean up and purge system-related file debris, and one of these may help.

If the system is still having problems, backup your files, do a clean restore of macOS, reinstall your apps, and restore your files.

I've never met a properly functional Mac yet that wasn't recoverable to perfectly normal performance with some remedial action - and my oldest one dates from 1991. But an 8GB i5 2017 iMac should run quite a lot better than you're describing. It's biggest performance inhibitor is the 5400rpm hard drive.
here... last night: froze, screen went dark, still had Youtube audio playing, then finally logged out; didn't restart this time
1713280693234.png

1713280848488.png

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
What they know is that those complaining are predominantly not customers
Pretty much. Someone that hasn’t bought a new Apple device in the last 7-10 years while Apple has been selling 20+ million every year during that time… that person is not a “customer” to Apple and what those people want as a customer is not in line with where Apple wants to be as a company.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
If Apple drives away people that don’t value what they’re selling while attracting new users that DO value what they’re selling, then it’s most definitely a win. Especially since that new, delighted, customer is likely going to buy additional products in the future.

mimemime

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2023
I think that the rumors of a relatively fast switch to M4 skipping Mac Mini and Studio are related to this RAM issue much more than to the AI craze, if Windows Arm laptops really end up competing with M3. Entry level Macs used to be priced with a premium compared to similarly specced PCs, but still with a good value. Now that they have literally no competition in the good laptop with good battery life segment, the entry level is a plain rip-off. 8GB/256GB in 2025 will be simply absurd. They should up the RAM to 16GB with the M4, 24GB with the M4 Pro. But knowing them, they will try 12GB (which seems possible since the M3 Pro), and keep the pro at 18.

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2024
8gb is perfect for grandmas and grandpas and casuals. perfect. What's the prob? Especially that it hit the hard drive for more mem. If you need more than 8gb get 16. Either way super fast. Except for Mac Rumors for some reason. It always runs tops. I have screen shot of MacRumors running 1.77gb. It's lowered down know since I've been doing Blender 3D models. Still Blender it's below it. People complaining about ram on Mac Rumors will always make me giggle. 🤭
(Keep an eye on that Activity Monitor)

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 1.14.00 PM.png

Difficult to know what the issue is.... this is an 8GB MBA with current 6.25GB in use.

I think that the rumors of a relatively fast switch to M4 skipping Mac Mini and Studio are related to this RAM issue much more than to the AI craze, if Windows Arm laptops really end up competing with M3. Entry level Macs used to be priced with a premium compared to similarly specced PCs, but still with a good value. Now that they have literally no competition in the good laptop with good battery life segment, the entry level is a plain rip-off. 8GB/256GB in 2025 will be simply absurd. They should up the RAM to 16GB with the M4, 24GB with the M4 Pro. But knowing them, they will try 12GB (which seems possible since the M3 Pro), and keep the pro at 18.
I think it's easy to forget that as a successful business, whether we like them or not, Apple does know somewhat what it is doing. I can see them hurrying elevated M-series systems into production as an when they can, but there are two reasons I think they won't: The first is that they have a long history of off-kilter statements to justify why their not-as-fast-as-the-opposition devices are in fact better somehow, and finding a good argument is a lot cheaper than ditching lots of investment. Secondly, that I very much doubt there's a way to hurry up a supply line that complicated, without breaking it.

There's a third issue too I suppose, and that is that assuming by the end of this year there are M4 systems out and on sale, which seems quite possible, and they bump the RAM to 12 or 16... there's still 4 years of 8GB M-series Macs in service, and at least a couple of the last years of 8GB Intel units. These have still got to be supported.

The answer is literally in their own hands, because they not only make the systems, but they also produce the OS. It's far harder to abandon ongoing support for 8GB systems than it is to simply ensure that macOS still runs on them for a few years yet.

That doesn't preclude a hike in the RAM minimum, but a company with Apple's track record and product development isn't blind and without coherent plans. They will certainly have known about Snapdragon and the potential for competition for a fair while by now, and it seems highly unlikely since they've existed in a competitive market by differentiating their products from the rest the way they have, that they'll be inclined to panic.

bobone

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
here... last night: froze, screen went dark, still had Youtube audio playing, then finally logged out; didn't restart this time View attachment 2368863

View attachment 2368865
I had a similar problem when a fusion drive started flaking out. Make sure you have a backup. Recovering files from a "dead" spinning rust drive can be highly problematic if you can manage at all, and sending it off is prohibitively expensive, so if you're data isn't worth gold to you (and if it is still) see step 1 about backups.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I’m sorry but this is a bad, bad Apple. They are only justifying it so they can keep on charging exorbitant prices. NO Apple computer should come with just 8GB of ram. And of course to upgrade from 8 to 16 GB cost you $200. Shame shame on Apple and their GREED. Once companies get greedy like this then they just go down hill and eventually become irrelevant. I know Apple is a huge company but they can fall just like so many other companies do once they get greedy.
💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

foggygray

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
Just a thought as far as prices go but I wonder how much of the price for upgrades comes from the fact that the RAM in Apple systems is built in on the Apple Silicon package rather than the motherboard or on modules like all of the other systems people compare it to.

I’m not an electrical engineer I’d imagine that adds a fair amount of complexity and QA that adds to the cost. Also the limited space must increase the density of the RAM chips and increase the cost as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.