Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I just looked at the original photos on Apple's website in photoshop. They are the same old displays with the horizontal lines.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's possible, but people have thought this exact same thing before. Some images just didn't show the stripes very well. Maybe the same illusion is being noticed again.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Yeah, actually I noticed this but thought it was just the picture I was looking at wasn't very high quality. Actually I downloaded the PR pictures of it about 14 days ago, and noticed this, and those are high quality I just didn't really think about it.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Totally true--just a bad image or angle. When I first walked into an Apple Store this weekend, I thought, wow, they updated the displays to remove the stupid stripes. Got closer and they revealed themselves. 2 years is too long without a display refresh. I'd love something new and even more modern like the G5 design. Doesn't have to actually be aluminum. Oh yeah, that and a $350 price cut on the 17" to make it competetive with others given it's outdated specs which were barely state of the art 2 years ago. My 18" Dell 1800FP runs rings around the Apple 17" in value, and quality of display, with a wider viewing angle, if not in specs then in real world usage.

Chef Ramen

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2002
lol, apple just touched up the images for some reason....*shrugs*

my guess is _real_ new displays will be coming.

lilpig8

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2003
St. Louis
2 years 2 long

I absolutely think 2 year has been 2 long, with the prices the way they are. Apple needs to cut those prices, and change the design a little to suit the new system. Which since the iBook is now the only system to match the old displays. Since the powerbooks have long been metalic i assume the displays will have that look as well. But how soon wil it come?

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Patience young Grasshopper...

I feel pretty confident that new displays will show up next week in New York or Paris in mid September at the latest.

Then again I also feel confident that hold the winning PowerBall ticket :)

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: 2 years 2 long

Originally posted by lilpig8
I absolutely think 2 year has been 2 long, with the prices the way they are. Apple needs to cut those prices, and change the design a little to suit the new system. Which since the iBook is now the only system to match the old displays. Since the powerbooks have long been metalic i assume the displays will have that look as well. But how soon wil it come?

Ah, hello. The just cut the prices MAJORLY not even 6 months ago! That's when I got the 23" and sold my 22". They cut ONE GRAND off the top monitor. Apple's LCDs compete WITH EVERYONE AT THE CURRENT RPICE. What's your bitch about? The design WAS changed as well, adding a chrome Apple logo, more metal on the rear, different touch sensitive buttons and more grey look. Are you trolling or just clueless?

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
new stuff gotta be coming soon...

it just makes sense, that not only will we see updated monitors for the g5, but i wouldn't be surprised to see matching keyboards and mice (maybe with blue tooth?).

if you look at it from a pr standpoint, why shoot your entire load at once with the announcement of the g5?! especially if it's not shipping till most likely september. i'm guessing we'll see new monitors, keyboards, and mice around the actual shipping of the g5 to help boost sales. followed at the end of the year/spring new 15" powerbooks and so on... steve is definitly a pr hound and he'll want to milk it for everything it's worth.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Re: Re: 2 years 2 long

Originally posted by Kid Red
Apple's LCDs compete WITH EVERYONE AT THE CURRENT RPICE.

Not quite true. There are a lot of displays out there with better specs that cost half the price. Just look at the Hyundai Q17, for example.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Re: Re: Re: 2 years 2 long

Originally posted by Veldek
Not quite true. There are a lot of displays out there with better specs that cost half the price. Just look at the Hyundai Q17, for example.

I would say Apple's monitors are competitively priced. To throw in a Hyundai?? I noticed you are in Germany so maybe they are more well known over there. Not sure I would trust an "off" (at least for the US) brand name - at least on an LCD monitor. One thing I can say about the Apple LCD monitors is I can trust not to have as many dead pixels out of the box. This is based on my own personal experience. Apple LCD's I have had zero dead pixels out of the box compared to other brand names I have had.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 years 2 long

Originally posted by macnews
I would say Apple's monitors are competitively priced. To throw in a Hyundai?? I noticed you are in Germany so maybe they are more well known over there. Not sure I would trust an "off" (at least for the US) brand name - at least on an LCD monitor. One thing I can say about the Apple LCD monitors is I can trust not to have as many dead pixels out of the box. This is based on my own personal experience. Apple LCD's I have had zero dead pixels out of the box compared to other brand names I have had.

Hyundai, eh? weird. Got their hands in everything.

It's be like McDonalds making a a line of keyboards and 3 button mice. :D

They could do it, but i dunno if I'd buy.

Yellowtooth

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
Los Angeles
17" clearly lagging

I would say that if anything, Apple will drop the 17" 4:3 model in favor of a more streamlined widescreen display. Maybe even make it 18", and that way the whole line up would be widescreen digital. Yet another PR angle to consider. Especially if they decide to go with a thinner bezel (with Al trim to match the g5's) so that the "pro" user will be happier with side-by-side options, this could be quite the coup for SJ and co.

Maybe this will end up being the "Year of the Monitor".........

testnull

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2002
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 years 2 long

Originally posted by jbomber
Hyundai, eh? weird. Got their hands in everything.

It's be like McDonalds making a a line of keyboards and 3 button mice. :D

They could do it, but i dunno if I'd buy.

No, it'd be more like Mitsubishi making a line of TVs.

Oh, wait.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Yes! I've been waiting years for apple to get rid of their current stripe pattern!

:rolleyes:

If apple just changes the stripes on the displays I will be pissed off. I was hoping this case of bad design wouldn't last....

oh well, I would never buy an apple display anyways. They are waaaaaay too expensive. That is where they need to be changed. ;)

scem0

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
It could be a bad viewing angle that cause the stripes to disappear in recent photos, but how do you explain the little buttons on each side of the screen in the newer pics? If you go the the link at the top of the thread, then scroll down you can see the new pictures and how there appear to be little buttons.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Re: 17" clearly lagging

Originally posted by Yellowtooth
I would say that if anything, Apple will drop the 17" 4:3 model in favor of a more streamlined widescreen display. Maybe even make it 18", and that way the whole line up would be widescreen digital. Yet another PR angle to consider. Especially if they decide to go with a thinner bezel (with Al trim to match the g5's) so that the "pro" user will be happier with side-by-side options, this could be quite the coup for SJ and co.

Maybe this will end up being the "Year of the Monitor".........

I hope the 17" stays around. Yeah, widescreen is cool and all, but for all of us non-video-editing, non-website-designing folks I think it's overkill.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by scem0
I would never buy an apple display anyways. They are waaaaaay too expensive. That is where they need to be changed. ;)scem0

I agree. I couldnt justify buying a monitor that costs as much as my computer. Especially when my computer will cost ~$3000!.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
I agree. I couldnt justify buying a monitor that costs as much as my computer. Especially when my computer will cost ~$3000!.

especially when you could get one with better resolutions for cheaper.

If I was incredibly rich I would get an apple display though. ;)

Actually, I would get 2 of those ergonomic metalic 24" diplays - to go along with my dual 2 GHz G5.

Sigh...... I have to settle for a Gateway 18" display and a 1.8GHz G5 instead :eek:.

scem0

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by scem0
especially when you could get one with better resolutions for cheaper.

If I was incredibly rich I would get an apple display though. ;)

Actually, I would get 2 of those ergonomic metalic 24" diplays - to go along with my dual 2 GHz G5.

Sigh...... I have to settle for a Gateway 18" display and a 1.8GHz G5 instead :eek:.

scem0

i'm shedding a single solitary tear for you.
:)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Yeah, I wasted about 15 minutes of my life reading that thread on Appleinsider. Let me tell you...That's 15 MINUTES I'M NEVER GETTING BACK!

Of all the rumor debates I've seen, this was the most idiotic and pointless. Who cares about the lines?! As one poster said on Appleinsider, what matters are the specs.

I concede that the appearance is important and the difference between clear plastic and aluminum displays is definitely significant. But between the lines and no lines?!

I don't think it makes much difference to aesthetics. If the G5 works well with one, it works well with the other, and vice versa.

That's just my 2.53469 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.