Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Sorry about the turnaround, but the devil is in the details.

UPDATE 2:39 PDT 10.10.02 Apple New Mac Double Base RAM Offer A Hoax. Loophole Makes Offer Bogus!

Upon further investigation by reading the FINE PRINT in the Terms and Conditions:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/promo_doubleyourmemory.html

"...Additional RAM may be installed as either a single larger capacity replacement RAM DIMM chip or by adding additional RAM DIMM chip(s) as required, exact method to be determined at Apple's discretion..."

Called the Apple Store 800-MY-APPLE line and got confirmation that Apple will use that loophole whenever it wants to and that we can't be assured that a 512MB double order will yield two 512 MB sticks every time. We can't even specify that is the only way we'll exercise that option.

So FORGETABOUTIT . . .

As of today October 10, 2002 until December 31st, Apple is offering to double the base RAM for only $40 extra on all new Macs.

So you can get a single 512 stick with the dual 867 or dual 1 GHz MDD PowerMacs or 2 - 512 sticks with the dual 1.25 GHz for only $40 extra.

Sweet.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/promo_doubleyourmemory.html

GotToHaveIt

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2002
NYC
That Did It

Well I have been waiting for price drop to go from my 400mhz PB to the 800Mhz. Do not need SuperDrive, so today's promo did it. Ordered my shinny new PB. Yes!

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Re: Apple Doubles RAM In New Macs For $40

Originally posted by Multimedia
As of today October 10, 2002 until December 31st, Apple is offering to double the base RAM for only $40 extra on all new Macs.

So you can get a single 512 stick with the dual 867 or dual 1 GHz MDD PowerMacs or 2 - 512 sticks with the dual 1.25 GHz for only $40 extra.

Note that asterisks (there are more at offer site)--these suggest that you can't get an extra gig in a PM even if you order it with a gig and that Apple might use up 2 slots or more to add 512.

* Base RAM is based on the computer purchased and can be either 128MB, 256MB, or 512MB. Maximum Double RAM available through this offer is 512MB. RAM upgrades over 512MB -above base configuration- include the promotional savings.
* Maximum double RAM available is 512MB for $40.
* Additional RAM may be installed as either a single larger capacity replacement RAM DIMM chip or by adding additional RAM DIMM chip(s) as required, exact method to be determined at Apple's discretion.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Good Point Ñ Apple Dumping Small RAM Sticks?

I hadn't noticed that. I'd hate to order a 1 GB dual 1.25 GHz MDD Mac only to find it come back with a 512 and 2 - 256 MB sticks. I wonder if we would be able to ask for a single additional 512 stick or not?

Leave it to Apple to come up with a way to weasel out of delivering to the customer that which wastes not. I wonder if they're moving to an all 512 MB minimum and dumping all their smaller sticks with this promo?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
that's an awesome deal.:D

it's just unfortunate for us Australians...
*Deliveries must be made to addresses within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.*:eek: :eek: :(

PGant

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that they offer a similar deal here in Canada. Coupled with the discount they're offering on Office v.X for new iMacs (plus the coupons and free printer...I think those are still in effect) the deal's pretty sweet. It sure has me thinking about upgrading my corporate fleet.

Now if Apple would just move the firewire ports to the side of the unit, and the headphone jack to the front...I would be happy.

PG

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, we have it free MUUUUUUHAHHHAHAHAHAHA

;)

Things like this piss me off though. Customers ordered last week, and paid out the arshe for Apples memory, and now it is $40 bucks! They should just give it away like we do.

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
They should double it for free.

Apple are way too tight with the standard RAM.

OSX needs 256mb at least if you want to do anything other than browse the internet. All new macs $1000 and over should come with 512mb at least.

Don't give me this "double for $40" and then make out they're doing me a favour.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by MikeH
They should double it for free.

Apple are way too tight with the standard RAM.

OSX needs 256mb at least if you want to do anything other than browse the internet. All new macs $1000 and over should come with 512mb at least.

Don't give me this "double for $40" and then make out they're doing me a favour.

Come on. Man, do you know what margins are on an eMac? There is no way that they could put 512 in that thing and keep it priced well. 256 yea, that is believable, but 512! No way.

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Come off it.

Have you seen how much Apple charge for RAM.

If you buy a new iMac and want one 512mb chip in it they charge $250 (keep in mind they remove the original 256mb chip).

If you want 512mb as two 256mb chips it's an extra $150.

They rip you off when it comes to RAM. If you can get it for a PC at half that price, I don't see why Apple should screw us for it and then make out they are doing you a good deal.

I'd never buy extra RAM via the Apple Store, you're just being robbed.

Besides, if Apple make an OS with high memory requirements they should sure there hardware can keep up.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Few things Mike,
1) they do make hardware that will keep up with the OS. Played with a Dual 867 lately?

2) I agree that Apple charges to much for memory.

3) I never said they don't. I said that margins would not allow for a free 512MB upgrade on every Mac above 1,000 as you recommended. That would cost way, way, way too much money. They don't make money on eMac's 15" iMacs, and iBooks.

There is no margin on those systems.

PGant

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002

Now THAT would be a great deal! A *gig* of RAM...just mind boggling.
Originally posted by SilvorX
if apple brings the ram deal to the canadian apple store, i should get 512 megs of ram ;) then 512 more for like $70 cdn

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Ok Backtothemac,

Fair point, I'm probably being bit extreme, and I certainly don't want to start a flame war - but you see what I'm getting at.

I'm sure the new DP 867 Macs are wonderful - in fact I think all the current hardware range is great. It's just that Uncle Steve wants everyone over to OSX, yet some of the machines are still coming with only 128mb (iBooks) which only just enough for OSX let alone any serious software (Warcraft 3 would choke). And 256mb in a professional level DP tower is just daft, Photoshop will eat that just by starting up.

What I don't like is the fact that it's made out to be some sort of favour, when you should not really have to upgrade something as fundemantal as RAM the moment you buy the machine.

The offers not even available in UK (where I am) anyway.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
macmall still triples RAM (in some instances)

my new dual came with 256. MacMall adds 512 to that for a total of 768, with a $39 install charge. Let's not forget that apple charges you sales tax too.

Why on earth would anyone purchase something from the online apple store? Or the apple store in the mall? Use these as resources or for last minute emergency situations.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I can't help but see this as an indication that Apple's going to up the minimum memory in every Mac to 256 MB as of MWSF, and presumably the Powerbooks and PowerMacs would get 512.

Seeing as how I'm planning on getting an iBook right around then, it would be incredibly useful: not only would the system as it is from the factory run properly, it would expand the memory limit to 768 MB. Very important when you're trying to eke every last bit of battery life (by reducing disk access) and speed out of your laptop.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Re: macmall still triples RAM (in some instances)

Originally posted by bretm
my new dual came with 256. MacMall adds 512 to that for a total of 768, with a $39 install charge. Let's not forget that apple charges you sales tax too.

Why on earth would anyone purchase something from the online apple store? Or the apple store in the mall? Use these as resources or for last minute emergency situations.

I see you fell for the old "FREE for $39" routine when you could have gotten an extra 512 MB stick for "Really FREE" from General Cybernetics in Alabama with no sales tax and half price shipping. Next time pay closer attention to who is not charging bogus "install" fees for so-called "FREE" RAM and discounting shipping charges with no sales tax.

I suppose you also didn't remember to downgrade your MDD $200 to avoid the obsolete Pioneer DVR-A04 SuperDrive so you could put in a new Quad Speed A05 next month either. Oh that's right, MacMall won't let you BTO. I sure hope you bought a dual 867 without that old A04 inside. But wait! If you got a "FREE" $39 Ñ 512 MB stick, that means you bought a dual GHz. Right? Bummer. :(

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
still a ripoff

I'm about to buy a PowerMac G4 867 QuickSilver from Apple's edu store, so I checked on this new RAM pricing. It true that it costs $40 more to get 512MB instead of the base 256MB, making the system cost $1265. However, they also have a 128MB option that does not allow for the $40 RAM doubling, for $1155. If I buy that and get 2 512MB modules from OWC for $96, my total cost is around $1260 (including the shipping charge from OWC.) So I still save $5 and get more than twice as much RAM without using Apple's deal.

My prices are edu prices for a QuickSilver with the useless 56k modem removed. (Hey $27 is $27.)

So I could have my new Mac with 512MB RAM from Apple for $1265 or with 1152MB RAM from OWC and Apple for $1260. And OWC provides a lifetime warranty on the RAM, unlike Apple.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Re: macmall still triples RAM (in some instances)

Originally posted by bretm

Educational discounts combined with the Apple loan for education, that's why. And while you can get good prices from edu.com, the convenience is killer. And I've annoyed the MacGenius at my local store so much I feel compelled to buy something there once in a while in return for his services.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by MikeH
Ok Backtothemac,

Fair point, I'm probably being bit extreme, and I certainly don't want to start a flame war - but you see what I'm getting at.

I'm sure the new DP 867 Macs are wonderful - in fact I think all the current hardware range is great. It's just that Uncle Steve wants everyone over to OSX, yet some of the machines are still coming with only 128mb (iBooks) which only just enough for OSX let alone any serious software (Warcraft 3 would choke). And 256mb in a professional level DP tower is just daft, Photoshop will eat that just by starting up.

What I don't like is the fact that it's made out to be some sort of favour, when you should not really have to upgrade something as fundemantal as RAM the moment you buy the machine.

The offers not even available in UK (where I am) anyway.

Now I agree with you. That is why you should buy from a vender that offers free ram and charges no tax. That is how we small resellers can still stay alive because we can give away ram as an incentive.

Hey Multimedia! Thanks for the props! Nice to see you are spreading the word. Oh, and we are in Alabama ;)

Sebastian

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by Multimedia

you could have gotten an extra 512 MB stick for "Really FREE" from General Cybernetics in Arkansas
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Oh, and we are in Alabama ;)

You mean, there's a difference?

-Seb

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a minute. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.