Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't disagree with you but they are greedy AF. I also agree they have the best products and i also buy them but you'd be a fool to think you really weren't being ripped off. Their prices could be much lower and they aren't that generous to their customers. They nickel and dime you to death charging 400% margins on many of their things. $200 for 8GB or RAM or +$800 for and upgrade from 256 to 1TB.... and countless other things. Then engineer it so most of it you can no longer upgrade later. As a fan of their products, i still think they could do sooo much better much of the time.
Not sure you’re wrong, but the price is the price. It’s up to the customers to determine the price to value ratio.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
No, he’s exactly correct. Worldwide supply chain failures and rising inflation was a result of the government pumping trillions of $$$ into an already hot economy and incentivizing people to stay home and not work. When there is too much money chasing too few goods inflation happens and all prices go up. There will be a point where things get too expensive and purse strings will tighten, then prices will pull back after time. Couple that with current administration policy and their war on fossil fuels causing prices in energy to skyrocket (more inflation) because those companies won’t risk capital when the administration has claimed they want to put them out of business. In addition with the belief, that everyone who flips burgers or works at an Apple store (entry level position) is entitled to make $20/hr. (Living wage) which is just as hard to live on as when they were making $10. Everyone else suffers as the people at the bottom are still no better off. Sorry all prices go up when this happens. More fuel to the inflationary fire. There is simply too much money out there. 95% of our problems have been inflicted by poor policy. Spend spend spend!
You mean like when Bush2 & Obama pumped all those trillions into companies & the Stock Market to keep the wealthy afloat?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
That’s the blue pill view of the world.

You should read Rich Dad Poor Dad.

Don’t just believe what they teach in ECON or AFM classes. Those are just a few schools of thought. It’s what the old money wants you to believe, and to serve their interest.
Ahh... the old "words have no meaning" retort. No amount of twisting language is going change the fact that sales are revenue, not assets.

Nonsense, businesses can't buy, sell, or depreciate people for tax purposes.
Sure. Which is why I said "arguably". Employees aren't easily categorized as either assets or liabilities since they aren't controlled by the business. But they bear more in common with assets than liabilities from an accounting perspective. Again, their salaries are certainly either expenses or liabilities depending on whether they've been paid.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Gixxer good post. The following comment is not directed at you. My comment is about unions in general. I see lots of idealistic, or young, or naive people asking serious questions on this thread about this stuff and your post exemplifies a lot of what I have been saying about unions and the workers mentality due to the way they are.…..

This post by Gixxer is a good example of how unions can kill peoples drive, determination and ambition and turns them into communal zombies. Hence, why union workers have a reputation of being lazy and doing the least amount to get by without having to worry much about being let go. How is this good for a company forced to take on union labor? For anyone reading in this forum, this is one of many reasons why Corporations don’t want their employees going union. Not to mention all the other crap they now have to deal with because a union is involved. It’s like inviting an unwanted third party in your affairs that is just going to COMPLICATE everything. Much of it is pure bureaucracy.

Believe me, like Gixxerfool here, going from non union to a union mentality is a total paradigm shift in ones work ethic. Non Union guys tend to want to accomplish the task get done and save the company time and money. As a non union person i want to get done as quickly as possible and get the company going, it benefits them it benefits me in less down time and higher performance metrics calculated into bonuses.

Union mentality is, let's milk this cow for whatever we can and get as much as we can out of it. The longer we can drag this on the more hours we get paid. Thats also why Corporations don't want them.

Non-Union is we are in this together we share the same mission and goal.
Union - It's us vs. them.

Which sounds like a more cohesive and beneficial relationship in saving time, effort and money????
I wanted to reply to this. I agree 100%.

There are perks to being where I’m at now. I’m getting older and it’s nice not having to kill myself to get the job done and know I will still be getting paid. My old job was flat rate and while the money was good if you hustled and produced the system also bred a lot of people who took short cuts and didn’t care. I didn’t make as much as some guys, but I knew the work I produced was the best I could. I also did not have as high a repeat failure rate as anyone else, so there’s that.

The union gives me more PTO, better medical, and a better retirement plan. The flip side to that from my old job is, if I made enough hours during the week I could take time off and not have to use the little vacation/sick time I did have. My wife had stellar medical, so I didn’t use the one offered, but will be switching to mine soon. My 401k wasn’t bad, but it didn’t perform great and it was better than nothing. The pension is already outperforming what the 401k was.

With that said, I do not get Christmas bonuses, Christmas parties or the ability to effect change anymore. I’m a small cog in a large machine. It will be nice to reap some of the benefits I missed over the years and just do my job well.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Not that i am a fan of Corporations.... I'm not. But what you did is misleading, as corporations don't control votes the same way unions do. And unions are infinitely more corrupt and political. Yes what you say is not false but unions are more corrupt and political by magnitudes. Not to mention, Unions come in and suck the blood out of businesses and try to leach money off of something they did not create and did nothing for. They took no risk, put in no capital investment, did NOTHING and they are there to intervene and suck money all under the guise of being the employee's representation. The EMPLOYEES AGREED to take the job for a given salary and benefits. If you are unhappy with that you don't take the job OR get another job. Amazing what free will is capable of. It's EZ. That corporation is entitled to the empire it built and the fruits of it without a parasite coming in and contaminating it. It sounds like communism appeals to you.

Also, corporations want their best and brightest incentivized promoted and doing bigger and better things. It' NOT seniority based like a union. You are way wrong there.
If everyone did as you describe, there would never be any unions. I mean, how would they form when needed?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I wanted to reply to this. I agree 100%.

There are perks to being where I’m at now. I’m getting older and it’s nice not having to kill myself to get the job done and know I will still be getting paid. My old job was flat rate and while the money was good if you hustled and produced the system also bred a lot of people who took short cuts and didn’t care. I didn’t make as much as some guys, but I knew the work I produced was the best I could. I also did not have as high a repeat failure rate as anyone else, so there’s that.

The union gives me more PTO, better medical, and a better retirement plan. The flip side to that from my old job is, if I made enough hours during the week I could take time off and not have to use the little vacation/sick time I did have. My wife had stellar medical, so I didn’t use the one offered, but will be switching to mine soon. My 401k wasn’t bad, but it didn’t perform great and it was better than nothing. The pension is already outperforming what the 401k was.

With that said, I do not get Christmas bonuses, Christmas parties or the ability to effect change anymore. I’m a small cog in a large machine. It will be nice to reap some of the benefits I missed over the years and just do my job well.
I like the work less and get paid more. Exactly why Apple doesn't want a union!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.