Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The unionized Towson Apple Store in Maryland today filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board after its employees were excluded from some benefits that Apple recently introduced for non-union workers, reports Bloomberg.

towson-maryland-apple-store.jpg

Apple in October announced plans to offer employees additional funds for education and new health care options in some states, but workers at the Towson store were denied the benefits. The employees were told that the store would need to negotiate benefits with Apple through the union.

The Towson store was the first Apple retail location to unionize, and Apple's head of retail, Deirdre O'Brien, warned employees about future negotiation issues ahead of their decision to form a union. "We have a relationship that is based on an open and collaborative and direct engagement," O'Brien said in May. "Which I feel could fundamentally change if a store is represented by a union under a collective bargaining agreement."

Restricting benefits from unionized stores could dissuade other retail locations from unionizing, and it is not unique to Apple. Starbucks has also been fighting unionization and has denied benefits to stores that have made the decision to unionize.

The Towson location is represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union, which filed the complaint against Apple. So far, two stores in the United States have unionized, including a location in Oklahoma, as has one store in Scotland.

Article Link: Apple Employees at Unionized Maryland Store File Labor Board Complaint After Being Denied Benefits

What a bunch of pathetic losers. Hopefully the store gets shut down and they're all fired.
I don't think that is possible to shut down the store and fire them. If that would happen, there is going to be a civil lawsuit from each employee. I don't think Apple would be happy about that. Similar to this lawsuit below.

geartau

Suspended
Jun 5, 2022
unionization = more expensive products

i don't mind paying for better worker pay, but if you're going to complain why the next iPhone is $100 more expensive, this is why

apple passes the cost onto consumers. don't like it? don't buy it. it's very simple

unionization = more expensive products

i don't mind paying for better worker pay, but if you're going to complain why the next iPhone is $100 more expensive, this is why

apple passes the cost onto consumers. don't like it? don't buy it. it's very simple
It would be nice if the high-level Apple Executives can take a pay cut into their yearly salaries and frequent bonuses.

P.S. Jony Ive could have taken a pay cut from his salary but he didn't, SMH :(

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
I don't think that is possible to shut down the store and fire them. If that would happen, there is going to be a civil lawsuit from each employee. I don't think Apple would be happy about that.
I know. I just can't stand unions. In my experience it just creates lazy workers because they know it's next to impossible to be fired. They create this weird cult like environment (calling each other "brother", ect.). And the union dues end up just buying the union bosses nice cars, houses, etc. and workers end up only seeing a small fraction at best coming back to them from what they put in. It's like a ponzi scheme.

Then just the very idea that some peon that is doing a job that literally anyone off the street can do is telling someone that had the talent, vision, money, and blood sweat and tears how they HAVE to run their company is just complete BS.

We have laws to protect workers. If any laws are being broken, then take that up with the labour board. Don't like the benefits, pay, etc. at your job? That sucks, but you're welcome to go find another one that offers what you need.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Ladies and gentlemen. Here’s a person that defends a trillion dollar company not properly paying and providing benefits for their employees.

Ladies and gentlemen, here's someone who doesn't understand how unions work (and the repercussions thereof).
And this lovely bit from the previously linked article:

The Towson, Maryland store is represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union and formal negotiations are set to begin with Apple soon.

Seriously? This whole thing is a serious case of "oh no, the actions of my own consequences!"

NightFlight

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Virginia
What a bunch of pathetic losers. Hopefully the store gets shut down and they're all fired.

They are pathetic losers for wanting benefits, better pay, and better working conditions? You’re defending a trillion dollar company who doesn’t care about you, or it’s employees.

I hope this is one of the most downvoted comments in MR history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.