Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider points to a Front Row job listing indicating that Apple is just getting started with Front Row.

The Job (Req. ID 2443440) is described as follows:

Do you want to join a team building revolutionary new multi-media software for Mac OS X? Would you like to create software for a centerpiece in Apple's digital hub? If so, then the Platform Experience Department is looking for you. We are looking for a proactive, highly motivated engineer to work on Apple's new Front Row digital media technology.

- Participate in the design and implementation of Front Row
- Work cross-functionally with other teams to integrate various types of media
- Code highly graphical, animated interfaces
- Code rock-solid, scalable system logic and component infrastructure

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Things can only get better then. I can imagine this ending up on all macs, with the help of some bluetooth control (if the current model isn't bluetooth that is).

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
they better expand front row. it really pisses me off that i have a 1 year old 2500 dollar Powermac and yet i cant run the software that would really make my system awesome. heres hoping for good things in january...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Front Row for Windows?

It's exciting to speculate what these iPod Windows apps would be and how they could challenge native apps on Windows.

'Complex' apps could mean production tools for independent producers to create, encode and upload their content onto iTMS servers and users being able to download content via a bittorrent-like protocol from Windows version of Front Row. At least, that's my wish anyways. :p

On the home front, perhaps integrate DVR functionality and purchasing directly into Front Row.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd say a job listing is a pretty good "source!"

Front Row is definitely going someplace beyond its beginnings. It will be interesting to see what.

I expect it to be for sale as part of iLife 06, but then what next? Tuner and PVR sounds good to me.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Given their phrase "highly graphical", it sounds like they will continue to concentrate on interfaces you can use from the sofa.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
does this mean adding TV tuner button to Front Row? or, better yet, third party extensibility via AppleScript/Automator?

I can't wait to see what the next year brings :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
balamw said:
Though, it's a bit late to be hiring people for a product that will be announced in 2.5 weeks. Isn't it. ;)

B

Chances are whatever version of Front Row they have release with the iMac 5 rev C and updates, etc.. will be opened at MWSF 2006.

They are hiring for Front Row, as this will be a feature implemented into OS 10.5, you can place bets on that. ;) :)

Mac OS X, is going to live up to the "Digital HUB" concept with the Mac hardware being in the center and 10.5 driving it. ;) :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
nagromme said:
I'd say a job listing is a pretty good "source!"

Front Row is definitely going someplace beyond its beginnings. It will be interesting to see what.

I expect it to be for sale as part of iLife 06, but then what next? Tuner and PVR sounds good to me.

Completely agree - this is only the beginning. We will see FrontRow extend to all platforms and encompass much more than it currently does - I think a iTMS tie-in for videos and PVR/DVR functionality is definitely in the cards. Of course, since this job posting is just going up now, I wouldn't anything too revolutionary until possibly MWSF '07. ;) But in the meantime, there will still be advances, and the software will either be included across all product lines, or at least be available for all product lines via iLife '06. :cool:

Oh, and nagromme, congrats on joining the ever-exclusive "Club 601" - your membership card, coupons and advance copy of Leopard will be in the mail. :cool:

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Can't wait to see frontrow take off, in the mean time I'm hope itheater will bring a good media center experience to the mac.

Hey cornfedgrowth...I saw your signature. GO COUGS!!..that was a great Apple Cup!

Engel

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2005
~Shard~ said:
We will see FrontRow extend to all platforms and encompass much more than it currently does - I think a iTMS tie-in for videos and PVR/DVR functionality is definitely in the cards... and the software will either be included across all product lines, or at least be available...

YES! I also think this app could center everything and push the Mac in a crazy direction. I would love to access the iTunes store from FrontRow for buying music + video, or watching DVR/Cable. Awesome solution for a digital hub.

Right now that looks like the direction its taking... why have both iTunes and Frontrow to play music? I think they will merge in the future. Imho Frontrow is a much more simple and elegant solution than iTunes. Frontrow mimics the iPod GUI very closely which makes it easier for the user to listen to music more efficiently. I love iTunes, but compared to Frontrow its not really clean and focused. There is a middle ground that would be very nice if built as 1 app.

Jeez, build Spotlight right in Frontrow and take out iPhoto, iTunes, all that stuff. Nice and clean. :rolleyes:

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Engel said:
Right now that looks like the direction its taking... why have both iTunes and Frontrow to play music? I think they will merge in the future. Imho Frontrow is a much more simple and elegant solution than iTunes. Frontrow mimics the iPod GUI very closely which makes it easier for the user to listen to music more efficiently. I love iTunes, but compared to Frontrow its not really clean and focused. There is a middle ground that would be very nice if built as 1 app.

Of course it's simpler! It doesn't do near as much, such as sorting, searching, importing, burning, buying, iMixing, smart playlisting, dumb playlisting, 26 different sort criteria, party shuffling, podcast subscribing to and dup checking.

(though, it may do some of those things. I'm not blessed enough to have an iMac)

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Macrumors said:
Code rock-solid, scalable system logic and component infrastructure

Scalable is a key term there. I could see this being an interface for a future portable video player (think larger screen than the iPod), future TiVo-like dvrs, as well as it's current incarnation. And I'm sure other devices that we can't even think of yet.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
balamw said:
Lends some more credence to Steve_Hill4's thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/167329/
I wasn't suggesting necessarily this, (remember, my information suggested something that was directly related to the video on the iPod), but it could all be inter-connected. Who knows what Apple have got planned.

Thanks for the mention though, I might have to delve deeper over the next week or so.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mainstreetmark said:
Of course it's simpler! It doesn't do near as much, such as sorting, searching, importing, burning, buying, iMixing, smart playlisting, dumb playlisting, 26 different sort criteria, party shuffling, podcast subscribing to and dup checking.

(though, it may do some of those things. I'm not blessed enough to have an iMac)

Well, iTunes in itself is more of a maintenance application than a music player. It might be wise for Apple to create a simpler, modularised interface to iTunes so that the backend (iTunesd) would be available at all times for various applications to access the database of music and videos anywhere over the local network.

Apple has plenty of ideas left and ability to implement them. If only people would want to buy their ideas. I'm still not sure this computer thing is going to catch on. :p

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
This is great news, but you have to think Apple are a little late to the party here. They should have been doing this a year ago at least, and plenty of people were saying that at the time. If they are hiring someone now, it probably means there is no FrontRow 2.0 for a January 2006 release - which means a real media centre is a long way off. It may be too late.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
curmi said:
This is great news, but you have to think Apple are a little late to the party here. They should have been doing this a year ago at least, and plenty of people were saying that at the time. If they are hiring someone now, it probably means there is no FrontRow 2.0 for a January 2006 release - which means a real media centre is a long way off. It may be too late.
Too late for what, exactly?

In a year, no one will want to watch movies or listen to music? Seems unlikely... or is this a "too late" in the more general sense? You know something about Armageddon the rest of us don't?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
A bit OT: I guess I don't understand the name. Who wants to sit in the Front Row when they're watching a movie :confused: Not me. I once was looking for tickets to the Daytona 500 and spoke with a broker. He said "I've got awesome seats! Front Row!!!" Heh. I told him no thanks :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Cooknn said:
A bit OT: I guess I don't understand the name. Who wants to sit in the Front Row when they're watching a movie :confused: Not me. I once was looking for tickets to the Daytona 500 and spoke with a broker. He said "I've got awesome seats! Front Row!!!" Heh. I told him no thanks :p

Well, at leats when you're in the Front Row you don't have to lok over anyone's head.. ;) Mind you with stadium seating nowadays... :eek:

I know what you mean though - we market our VOD service as Front Row, and although it's fitting, I have wondered the same thing at times...

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
Almost makes want to learn how to code applications.

How long should it take me to become rock solid, and if I could be a rock what kind of rock would I like to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.