Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Languish

qubex said:
You mean they're actually upgrading Front Row? They won't let it languish at Version 1.0 for the rest of eternity?

Wow, this is really ground-breaking news!

</sarcasm>

Aplle has let more than one app languish in the past. Do you remember Open Doc for one? AppleWorks for a second?

Bill the TaxMan

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Apple let Front Row loose on the public with the iMac and there is no way it's going to be ONLY on the iMac. It may be included in iLife 06, or added as a stand alone product, but I have no doubts that it will be released for all Macs at MWSF. Personally I think it will be part of iLife 06 in order to motivate us to upgrade, just as Garage Band is.

The ad for the programmer is a pretty good indication that Apple considers Front Row to be a major, long term application. Lots of good stuff for us in the future.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I've got a powermac with 10.4.3, and there is indeed a 'Front Row' application on my hardrive.

It's in the OS X core system folder - won't run, but it's there.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
Josh said:
I've got a powermac with 10.4.3, and there is indeed a 'Front Row' application on my hardrive.

It's in the OS X core system folder - won't run, but it's there.

Very interesting. Can you give a directory path? How did you find it? Do you own a recent G5 or an older G4 powermac? :confused:

qubex

macrumors 6502
There are many cracks "out there" to make FrontRow run on generic Macs. Just use Google and you'll find dozens of links to more appropriate forums of discussion on the matter.

(Particularly inspiring are videos of FrontRow running on a Mac mini.)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Still, without cracks, is there a way of opening up Front Row on an iMac without a remote? We had the remote for a display model nabbed, so didn't put the one that came with the 20" out. It would be nice if there was some way to demonstrate it without a remote.

Norse Son

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
Under Uncle Sam's Thumb
Engel said:
YES! I also think this app could center everything... I would love to access the iTunes store from FrontRow for buying music + video, or watching DVR/Cable
... why have both iTunes and Frontrow to play music? I think they will merge in the future. Imho Frontrow is a much more simple and elegant solution than iTunes... There is a middle ground that would be very nice if built as 1 app.

Jeez, build Spotlight right in Frontrow and take out iPhoto, iTunes, all that stuff. Nice and clean. :rolleyes:

I believe that Front Row will be a part of iLife '06, though it's too close to its (Front Row) debut for a major list of upgrade features to have been added by MWSF '06. Working with a Bluetooth remote may be the chief addition - though it leavess pre-BT Macs out in the cold...

As for the "tug of war" for control, it's not just between iTunes and Front Row. Give a rope to DVD Player, Quicktime, iPhoto, and who knows what else... Seems to me that the iApps should be able to function just fine on their own, but allow Front Row to serve as the mediator, pulling up a seamless & intuitive interface. And - pardon me for being a nitpick, but - I think that Apple is just going to confuse people if the iTMS (the "M" part) is used for non-music video content sales/viewing... But that's a whole 'nother discussion, so...

One thing that I would love to see Apple tackle - since noone else is willing or able to - is the "viper's nest" of cables behind my AV system: why can't we have a single set of cables from each component running into a central media server, which then identifies, tracks & controls each separate component seamlessly? Why can't a 1, 5, or 200 disc CD or DVD changer catalogue it's contents?

Why can't that central media server (the one with an Apple logo on it) use Front Row so that it can alert me to the following and then I can type in something like this:
(Front Row)• The iTVS says there are 25 new features from your wish list which are now available. Would you like to review them at this time?
(Me) "Not right now; set an iCal reminder for me to look at them next Monday. Right now I want to see an action movie"...
• You have 25 DVDs and 17 iTVS selections available in that category.
"Show me the 'buddy cop' titles"...
• Here are the 5 choices.
"No, change that. Which films have Charlize Theron in them?"...
• There are 3 selections. Would you like a 15 second preview of them?
"No, show me the cover art and I'll decide"... "Oh, and stream the Disney Channel up to the kids' room"...

Now, obviously, the voice recognition and A.I. aspects will likely have to wait for MacOS X v10.9 "Tabbey", but the general principle is doable by Leopard and iLife '07

Right now it seems like DVDs are "dumb" and components are lazy. I am sure that DVDs must have metadata at the beginning - why can't Front Row see it, catalogue it, cross reference it (via a web tie-in to iMDB), and give us the rich media experience that MS can't even dream & drool over...

moonislune

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
I agree but...

Cooknn said:
A bit OT: I guess I don't understand the name. Who wants to sit in the Front Row when they're watching a movie :confused: Not me. I once was looking for tickets to the Daytona 500 and spoke with a broker. He said "I've got awesome seats! Front Row!!!" Heh. I told him no thanks :p

With the current Airport technology, I totally agree. I'd much rather watch a movie on my 84" screen than on a 20" imac. So now (as I am pulling this out of my posterior region), I've read and am further speculating that Apple's new airport express with video is going to make us think twice. Being able to stream my Mac's monitor and sound output over Airport Express Video and controlling it with the Front Row remote will basically allow us Mac users to control and watch content on our mac using whatever graphical display, tv, or projector. That feature is going to blow MS Media Sinner Edition out of the water. Jan maybe?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Norse Son said:
Why can't that central media server (the one with an Apple logo on it) use Front Row so that it can alert me to the following and then I can type in something like this:
(Front Row)• The iTVS says there are 25 new features from your wish list which are now available. Would you like to review them at this time?
(Me) "Not right now; set an iCal reminder for me to look at them next Monday. Right now I want to see an action movie"...
• You have 25 DVDs and 17 iTVS selections available in that category.
"Show me the 'buddy cop' titles"...
• Here are the 5 choices.
"No, change that. Which films have Charlize Theron in them?"...
• There are 3 selections. Would you like a 15 second preview of them?
"No, show me the cover art and I'll decide"... "Oh, and stream the Disney Channel up to the kids' room"...

Now, obviously, the voice recognition and A.I. aspects will likely have to wait for MacOS X v10.9 "Tabbey", but the general principle is doable by Leopard and iLife '07

Right now it seems like DVDs are "dumb" and components are lazy. I am sure that DVDs must have metadata at the beginning - why can't Front Row see it, catalogue it, cross reference it (via a web tie-in to iMDB), and give us the rich media experience that MS can't even dream & drool over...
Great idea for a new Sci-Fi movie, where the central computer in the home is called Mac, (or Max if Apple threaten legal). We are heading that way.

I would like to still see iTunes and Front Row as seperate apps though. Front Row is great for general entertainment, but not for listening whilst working. It also puts Windows users in the cold, (and Apple still rely on them for revenue remember). Would be nice to allow those who want to use it as an iTunes replacement to do so, but leave iTunes seperate and in development.

ihayden

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Hm.

Man if Apple releases an Airport Express Video in MWSF Jan 06 I am sorta gonna kick myself coz I just bought an Airport Express and I wont be able to afford to buy another one coz I am a studnet and all on a tight budget. I think it is an awsome idea though. Hmm I got Front Row running fine on my eMac without any cracks... just a script wrote in AppleScript. and also if you double click on the Front Row app and then hold down Escape, it will run.

I can't wait for the next version to see what is new. (I am also hoping for new iBooks coz I really want one...Bad)

Well yet again I find myself playing the waiting game.......

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
curmi said:
This is great news, but you have to think Apple are a little late to the party here. .

Is this the party at which window's crappy media center PC is providing such high quality entertainment for the guests? :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Le Big Mac said:
Is this the party at which window's crappy media center PC is providing such high quality entertainment for the guests? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Media Center Edition has captured a whopping 3% of Windows install base , or something along those lines. What a joke. Apple will do it right. :cool:

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
my .02

Who in the heck has their PC in the living room. I think this is just a gimmick to keep up with Windows Media Center, a poorly dont gimmick. Just go out and by a bluetooth keyboard, and you'll have your remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.