Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
Nintendo has no say in this

The Yuzu situation was totally different as those devs were themselves exchanging Nintendo IP
Additionally, Yuzu requires encryption keys ripped from a real Nintendo Switch to do anything at all, which may further muddy the situation

Emulators on their own are fully legal
Yuzu is different because they settled. There was no lawsuit so the law need not apply. We will never find out what a judge would have determined.

Dr. James

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
I'm waiting for someone who uploads their App and can charge a premium for even more features.

That person will have 100% my money there. Testut has no say in this.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't care about the law, if I own a game, I see no difference between purchasing the hardware and pulling the ROM myself, or downloading it from the internet.

What sucks is that many of these games can't even be purchased anymore because so many have been thrown away or otherwise destroyed by time. And nobody is willing to sell them. Or for a lot of modern games they are no longer playable because the company shut down the servers. We need some kind of law that after 15 or 20 years a game must become freely distributable online, including providing the server software needed to make them work. If a game is shut down before that and requires a server, the software must be made available immediately.

• Disagree
Reactions: jekim and strongy

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
👈 for this dinosaur emulation means accessing some of my childhood in a way. I'm glad to hear emulation apps are allowed for "retro" consoles/games ... wish there was a way to pay for ROMs of games and still contribute to someone's income.

I constantly buy ported games on Steam and GOG, but there are at times bad ports, plagued with addition of new mechanics, or so called "improvements" ...
Nintendo's Switch Online services has a huge catalog of first-party NES, SNES, and Game Boy titles you can play on the Switch. (And is a surprisingly reasonable $25 a year)

This of course requires a Switch, but it's still a completely legal, not-under-the-table way to play classic titles.

• Love
Reactions: iksretep

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Apple are beginning to feel
- regulation (DMA, DOJ (super apps))
- competition (alternative application stores)
- falling behind technologically (Samsung/Google's/Microsoft's AI offerings)
Good. Competition and pressure is good. Better products and offerings for us.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Is SNES considered 'retro' as well? We need an iOS Snes9x port... so I can play one of my favorite mario games of all time, Mario World...

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
So why won’t Nintendo just launch a gameboy app that plays old gameboy games they could sell on the AppStore? Seems like free money for very little effort.

And that is exactly why Nintendo doesn't do so. It would be the same as asking: "Why doesn't Apple release iOS for Android phones? Why doesn't Apple release MacOS for PCs? Why doesn't Apple release Pages, Keynote, etc. on Windows?

Nintendo is a hardware company first, and their main goal is to sell as many hardware as possible. They are a software company second. And the software they sell is either for that hardware or to entice people to buy their hardware + software.

Releasing full games on a competing platform? Isn't going to entice people to buy Nintendo hardware. So the money they gained from those software sales are lost in fewer hardware sales. (Nintendo does not sell the Switch at a loss)

Last edited:

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
And that is exactly why Nintendo doesn't do so. It would be the same as asking: "Why doesn't Apple release iOS for Android phones? Why doesn't Apple release MacOS for PCs? Why doesn't Apple release Pages, Keynote, etc. on Windows?

Nintendo is a hardware company first, and their main goal is to sell as many hardware as possible. They are a software company second. And the software they sell is either for that hardware or to entice people to buy their hardware + software.

Releasing full games on a competing platform? Isn't going to entice people to buy Nintendo hardware. So the money they gained from those software sales are lost in fewer hardware sales. (Nintendo does not sell the Switch at a loss)
These people don’t understand Nintendo business model. Its like asking them to release their games on PlayStation or Xbox

Reactions: MRMSFC and AppleWes

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Hope Apple releases its own Apple ][, ][e, ][c, ][gs emulator with ROMs included.

Along with a bundle of licensed games, software for a modest fee or even more modest subscription. Or, roll it into its Games Arcade or whatever that is called.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Hell yes a (rare) Apple W 🤩 ... Devs please hurry up with nice looking and working emulators we can BUY (pls no subscription model it sucks)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
No not all. An emulator simply allows the computer to operate as if it were a different computer. And they have been legal for years, thanks in part to Apple of all things. They promoted a piece of software that let you play PlayStation games on your G3 iMac. In the ensuing court battle, the emulator won. That battle has been the legal basis for emulators ever since.

Thank you for that part of history. I wasn't aware of that.

Reactions: brucemr

madebybela

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2020
Montebello, CA
Notably, Apple confirmed to us that emulators on the App Store are permitted to load ROMs downloaded from the web, so long as the app is emulating retro console games only.
This part is interesting to me, I wonder how we're going to define a "retro console".
Will Gamecube/PS2/Xbox fall under this? 360/PS3/Wii are nearing 20 years old too!

• Wow
Reactions: freedomlinux

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Isn't an emulator a copy of a program made by someone else?
Only if it uses code written by someone else. It is not a copyright infringement to write your own code to simulate functionality. This emulator that was approved and removed apparently is a copyright infringement because it stole code from someone else. It’s a fine line in the law but copyright laws seem to be inconsistently enforced. Every tech company sues every other tech company for IP reasons and sometimes they win and sometimes they lose, but it always feels arbitrary who wins, for instance the judgment that cost the Apple Watch some of its functionality. Did Apple rip off the code or did they write their own code that did the same thing? One is illegal while the other is legal.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Cases like this -- where something is approved, then not -- show the lack of competence and lack of communication in Apple's internal operations.

In this case, despite Apple's announcement about permitting emulators, even regular users immediately questioned if this one was approved in error or if Apple was going to pull it, because even regular users understood Apple's policies and other issues involved better than the one who approved it.

And something like this keeps happening. Here they made more noise than they would have wanted by approving the thing first and then pulling it. If they had rejected it from the start, there still would have been some noise, but less of a situation.
I rather disagree. The review process is done by human beings who are not all-knowledgeable. Not everyone knows the emulator was a copy of someone else’s work. From the perspective of someone who doesn’t know that, they followed the rules and approved the app. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about tech, but I know next to nothing about game emulators simply due to lack of interest. I’ve never installed one and probably never will. I wouldn’t have known it was a ripoff and if I were a reviewer, I’d probably have approved it, too.

It’s likely the reviewer didn’t know. It’s not as if the app had a dialog on the screen that read, “This is a ripoff of another emulator.” They probably saw press reports that it was a copy after the fact. Maybe they read these forums? Who knows? But as soon as it was brought to their attention, they removed it.

Sure, knock them for ambiguity sometimes, but ambiguity played no role in this app being approved, just a lack of awareness it was a ripoff. How would they know about such a niche item?

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Not really. They published something. They were notified it was a unauthorized copy. They removed it.

Your premise that Apple should have known it was unauthorized before they were notified doesn't seem reasonable to me.
Here's something then - search for the app, Happy Logger. I have reported it back in early February and again in early March. It remains on the App Store to this day. Others have also reported it. If you download and install the free app, you will see it does not match the function nor the screen shots shown in the App Store. It is a scam app - you open the app, it has a TikTok like look/feel to it. You watch videos and see your money grow. When it hits a certain point, you can cash out, but only if you pay money via a web page for "Apple High Value Tax". I'm sure the $28 to get access to your "earned" $1000 is 100% a scam - you pay, and never receive anything. This, and other clones of this app started gaining traction in the App Store 4 months ago, and despite using the Report feature, these apps remain in the App Store, while a few people fall for the scam. :(

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Where is the quote from Apple in the original article? I see a lot of explanation and interpretation on the part of MacRumors writers, but I don’t see any direct block quote.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Apple has multiple times now gone out of their way to point out that retro game emulators are now a-okay. I'm guessing this is to stem the tide of people using alternate app stores and side loading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.