Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Anyone uses Delta? I read it’s a good emulator. Maybe that’s the one to wait for if an iOS version is released on the App Store.

Delta is also licensed under the GPL (AGPLv3 to be exact). Testut explains he has no choice in that due to the licensing of the emulation cores Delta itself uses.

This means Delta's license is also incompatible with Apple's App Store terms and conditions. That's likely why it's only available on a third-party store instead.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Off topic, but does anyone still use OpenEmu (mac OS)? I do from time to time and seems to work great although I heard that development as stopped for it? If so, any recommendations going forth?

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
It has already been determined that emulators are perfectly legal
This is true, but apparently dumping encryption keys is a gray area from my understanding.

That’s why the Yuzu devs and Nintendo settled, so that there would be no ruling on dumping encryption keys and emulators that used that method could live on.

And now there’s already a successor to Yuzu, delightfully named “Suyu”.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Notably, Apple confirmed to us that emulators on the App Store are permitted to load ROMs downloaded from the web, so long as the app is emulating retro console games only. Apple also said it had approved iGBA's functionality, before learning that it was a knockoff app, suggesting that Game Boy emulation is permitted on the App Store, but the company has yet to share any other examples of retro game consoles.

Apple updated its App Review Guidelines to permit retro game console emulators earlier this month. Apple says developers of emulators are "responsible for all such software" offered in the app, including compliance with "all applicable laws."
This seems like it’s begging for legal headaches.

I’m no lawyer, but I can foresee a lot of litigation based off this decision.

Apple’s sentence about the developer being responsible for complying with “all applicable laws” still leaves them open for issues.

Since most emulators are open source or based on open source, I can forsee a deluge of emulator apps being constantly released on the App Store, and if they don’t comply with the law, then it’s up to Apple to remove them.

And then someone else forks the project and submits it again, ad infinitum.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Literally one of my most used apps on my iphone is an emulator that loads ROMs and it has been there forever

That's taking me back to 1994. Reverse Polish notation. That calculator was everywhere with me, and the zipper sound of the case, and the distinct button click on the 48GX is forever remembered. This was early days of Internet... I think Netscape 1.0 was released around then. Somehow I got my hands on Sweet Child of Mine played on the calculator, and Doom... for those moments where the tenth straight Fourier Series Transform calculation was getting a bit much in the day.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Here's something then - search for the app, Happy Logger. I have reported it back in early February and again in early March. It remains on the App Store to this day. Others have also reported it. If you download and install the free app, you will see it does not match the function nor the screen shots shown in the App Store. It is a scam app - you open the app, it has a TikTok like look/feel to it. You watch videos and see your money grow. When it hits a certain point, you can cash out, but only if you pay money via a web page for "Apple High Value Tax". I'm sure the $28 to get access to your "earned" $1000 is 100% a scam - you pay, and never receive anything. This, and other clones of this app started gaining traction in the App Store 4 months ago, and despite using the Report feature, these apps remain in the App Store, while a few people fall for the scam. :(
I don't find any app called Happy Logger on the iOS App Store. That aside, App Store review certainly isn't perfect. I was just commenting on the specific situation that I replied to.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
They'll pull this stuff on Mac OS one day once it's locked down enough. Thats the beauty of a walled garden. Your stuck with what you get.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
That's taking me back to 1994. Reverse Polish notation. That calculator was everywhere with me, and the zipper sound of the case, and the distinct button click on the 48GX is forever remembered. This was early days of Internet... I think Netscape 1.0 was released around then. Somehow I got my hands on Sweet Child of Mine played on the calculator, and Doom... for those moments where the tenth straight Fourier Series Transform calculation was getting a bit much in the day.

Yup had one at university!

HP have come a long way since then. They are high speed ARM, colour, touch screen now.

0000331_hp-prime-g2-graphing-calculator.jpeg

But I've still got the HP48 series in muscle memory so that's what is on the phone.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
For anyone interested as I understand it the following emulators are available on iOS without any dodgy store shenanigans:

Emu64 XL. Commodore 64 Emulator, available on App Store.
ScummVM. Classic point-and-click player (Beneath a Steel Sky, Fate of Atlantis etc) available on App Store
SkyEmu GBA, GBC and DS emulator. You can install this as a 100% safe PWA that runs offline. DS support is experimental and has very low frame rates on my iPhone 13. Better devices might get more mileage.

PPSSPP the PSP emulator exists as a safe .ipa file direct from the developers you can sideload with XCode if you have it.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
If Nintendo has a problem, they’re probably going to lose any lawsuit. Android has had emulators since forever

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
This seems like it’s begging for legal headaches.

I’m no lawyer, but I can foresee a lot of litigation based off this decision.

Apple’s sentence about the developer being responsible for complying with “all applicable laws” still leaves them open for issues.

Since most emulators are open source or based on open source, I can forsee a deluge of emulator apps being constantly released on the App Store, and if they don’t comply with the law, then it’s up to Apple to remove them.

And then someone else forks the project and submits it again, ad infinitum.
If Nintendo or any other legacy publisher gave two hoots about people playing old SNES or Gameboy games on their phones they would have gone after all the Android emulators that have been available for years as well as the repositories of ROM files that are all well known in the appropriate circles. It remains impossible to pay Nintendo directly for old games. There are also the companies like Analog that make consoles that play roms and old carts that are still trading openly.

The issue they had with the Switch emulators was that they emulated their current console which it only achieved by using proprietary encryption keys and you can quite happily give them as much money as you like for current-gen games.

haemolysis

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2022
This, much like Apple’s recent spate of malicious compliance, seems like just an attempt to “have their cake and eat it too.”

Emulators now allowed!!
Except, not like that.
Not like that.
And not like that.

End result: where are the emulators?

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Say what?

I was wrong

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I don't find any app called Happy Logger on the iOS App Store. That aside, App Store review certainly isn't perfect. I was just commenting on the specific situation that I replied to.
The direct link is: https://apps.apple.com/app/id6473519583 though I see it is not available now in the US [though the 'share' feature when I long press the app still shows up, and apps pulled fully from the App Store do not generate a link when using the share feature [the only reason I keep these kinds of apps around after I discover them is to quickly access the App Store page to see if Apple has followed up on the reports]. While I know this app is not the one talked about in the article, to me, it shows that Apple still has a ways to go when users take the time to report an app as not legit. I understand it can take time, but 3+ months to pull an app which was reported by several people, seems excessive to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.