Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider posts some vague hints that Apple may be ramping up for a hardware announcement sometime this week.

...sources speculate that the announcement could range anywhere from the externally-rumored pink Madonna iPod (her new album is due on Tuesday) to dual-core versions of Apple's Xserve enterprise servers.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Cool. Maybe scratch resistant nanos in new colors (orange, baby blue and lilac would be my guesses)?

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
dontmatter said:
only option given apple's 3 press releases that just happened, the holiday season, and mac world coming up, is updated x-serves.

Updated Xserves for the holiday crowd? Perhaps I misunderstand your post but I would never consider an Xserve a stocking stuffer.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
xServes need an upgrade, but I was thinking wouldnt the xserve be a good first choice for intel? When You think about it, Im sure Apple has Mac OS X server for intel.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Quiet xServe update.

That's all for this week methinks. It'll be MWSF before we see anything new.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
me thinks it'll be the official announcement of the 1.5 ghz minis. XServes just got an upgrade a few weeks ago to support 3x 500 GB hard drives. It is possible they could be updated, but I doubt it considering they would probably have gotten the goods at the photo/pro event.

pink madonna iPod is ridiculous, IMO. However, if Apple did a band themed iPod every 6 months it would be okay, U2 was kept alive way too long. They could have done Coldplay/Gorillaz last summer, and be ready to move to Madonna now.

Gorillaz iPod, man I'd love that.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
Trowaman said:
me thinks it'll be the official announcement of the 1.5 ghz minis. XServes just got an upgrade a few weeks ago to support 3x 500 GB hard drives. It is possible they could be updated, but I doubt it considering they would probably have gotten the goods at the photo/pro event.

pink madonna iPod is ridiculous, IMO. However, if Apple did a band themed iPod every 6 months it would be okay, U2 was kept alive way too long. They could have done Coldplay/Gorillaz last summer, and be ready to move to Madonna now.

Gorillaz iPod, man I'd love that.

i actually think thats a pretty good idea....maybe change up the artist every few months.......those things would be HUGE collectors items.....id probably never buy one (unless it was a grateful dead one), but i could see it stirring some interest and being a good idea......only problem is getting the people on board.....but youve already got the grateful dead issuing unreleased stuff through itunes, madonna as well.........it could be interesting....a nice grateful dead ipod with a steal your face on the back with their entire lvie catalogue......oh man would i LOVE that

Yebot said:
Updated Xserves for the holiday crowd? Perhaps I misunderstand your post but I would never consider an Xserve a stocking stuffer.

heh, definately not so.

I skipped a few logical steps. What I meant to say is that Apple did a media binge already and introduced all their holiday shopping products. They timed it carefully so that it was new for the holiday season, had fresh press, but wasn't risky-first adopter new, wasn't after people decided what they wanted for christmas. so, to release something for holiday purchases now, when they could have done so earlier, would be a bad plan. Bad on marketing, bad on timing, and just silly. Further, if some key bit of technology made it so they just HAD to release it late... they could wait until the always tough 1st quarter to announce it at MWSF, get the media binge, and get dollars when they need them.

But, you see, xserve timing isn't on this schedule at all, as the press doesn't care and there's no seasonality to buying. dual core chips are needed now, with the new G5's. They had to release the Xserve after the dual G5, or it would have taken the wind out of the dual core sails, and they have no reason to wait until MWSF, where it would get a big yawn among all the other exciting announcments. So xServes it is. If anything, that is.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Don't be ridiculous.

There's no pink Intel Newton. (That won't be til the late 2007 cycle).

It's going to be
Madonna's Pink Dual Core X-Serves.

Enterprise IT managers: Think Different indeed.

Mark my words. :D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Spock said:
xServes need an upgrade, but I was thinking wouldnt the xserve be a good first choice for intel? When You think about it, Im sure Apple has Mac OS X server for intel.
Actually they would not b a good first choice. It all depends on what they are being used for.

If it's ordinary server stuff (file server, mail, web server, etc) then it doesn't matter if it's PowerPC or Intel.

However, if they're using Xserves as part of a render farm (or other specialized applications), then they would need to wait until tha application had a universal binary before they could move it to an Intel based Mac. A lot of the specialized applications makes use of AltiVec which is not supported under Rosetta.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Dual-core iPod nano for sure. We'll have OS X for iPod in no time. But it'll still scratch like crazy.

Would that be so bad? OS X on your iPod? I remember some site posted that as an April Fools' joke once.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
I personally hope it's a pink madonna iPod. I'm sick of Apple releasing stuff I want to buy, it's ***** expensive.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yebot said:
Related?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11/14/virtualization/index.php

"Intel Corp. is expected to unveil two new desktop processors on Monday that come with hardware support for virtualization technologies"

Very much so, but not quite yet. It's going to take a while before software supports virtualisation in these new chips. It might be well into the Macintel before we see the benefits of this virtualisation, the current chips are still based on the P4 and the Netburst architecture, it will have to be carried over into the new chips before it is useful for Apple.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
bugfaceuk said:
I personally hope it's a pink madonna iPod. I'm sick of Apple releasing stuff I want to buy, it's ***** expensive.

I can drink to that! I even told that to the Apple Store employee when I was buying my iPod nano.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
My vote is with something new concerning their iPods as well. iPods are nice x-mas presents so I could see them either doing some sort of pricing deal (laughs) or introducing something totally new (even if it is just another 'special edition' iPod).

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Seasought said:
My vote is with something new concerning their iPods as well. iPods are nice x-mas presents so I could see them either doing some sort of pricing deal (laughs) or introducing something totally new (even if it is just another 'special edition' iPod).
Right, it takes anything up to 2-3 weeks to hit the stores in limited quantities at times, so why release a holiday seller that won't be suffciently in the shops until after Christmas?

My money's on xServe too. I have noticed some comments of late that they need an upgrade in light of the new Quad 2.5 especially. Now would be a perfect time. Nobody is really interested from a consumer point of view, new MacIntels at MWSF, release this quietly now and leave the big PR announcements for the big PR events.

Newton would be nice though, however still unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.