Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I doubt it'll be any sort of mass 'consumer" product. It's getting really late before the hiliday shopping season for a ramp-up and you wouldn't be able to meet demand.

X-Serve sounds about right though

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
scratch resistant nanos would be great, id definatley buy one :rolleyes:

Off Topic:
Lacero said:
Cool. Maybe scratch resistant nanos in new colors (orange, baby blue and lilac would be my guesses)?

I dont understand "baby blue" is that a real colour? or do u find it cute like babies? whats it in hex ?

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
Weird.

I had a dream last night that Apple was phasing out the leftover G5's by offering dual-core G5 Mac Minis, iBooks, and Powerbooks.

I smell Macintels coming soon.:)

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
A quiet Xserve update would be good IMO, just in time for the holidays... Holidays are the best time for IT people to miss out on sleep and festivities because they are busy watching blinking lights in server rooms doing upgrades and such that require critical servers to be down...

This would be the perfect time for Apple to convince them to upgrade their Xserves :)

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
A Beatles special edition iPod

or even just a Paul one :)

derajfast said:
i actually think thats a pretty good idea....maybe change up the artist every few months.......those things would be HUGE collectors items.....id probably never buy one (unless it was a grateful dead one), but i could see it stirring some interest and being a good idea......only problem is getting the people on board.....but youve already got the grateful dead issuing unreleased stuff through itunes, madonna as well.........it could be interesting....a nice grateful dead ipod with a steal your face on the back with their entire lvie catalogue......oh man would i LOVE that

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Bear said:
Actually they would not b a good first choice. It all depends on what they are being used for.

If it's ordinary server stuff (file server, mail, web server, etc) then it doesn't matter if it's PowerPC or Intel.

However, if they're using Xserves as part of a render farm (or other specialized applications), then they would need to wait until tha application had a universal binary before they could move it to an Intel based Mac. A lot of the specialized applications makes use of AltiVec which is not supported under Rosetta.

I dont think R&D on Rossetta has stopped its hard to tell what Apple has done to it, if these companies are smart they have recompiled the software in light of the Intel move anyways. I really dont like the lower end Macs getting intel first, the main reason being that will Apple have to lower the clock speed so that it doesnt affect Powermac sales I could be worng.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I'd like a gladiator-themed iPod with Russell Crowe like-ness and possibly some external speaker to threaten co-workers and innocent bystanders.

It may be untimely since the movie came out years ago, but frankly who would want a pink girlie nano when you could have a Maxiumus edition?

:cool:

weezer160

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2003
Wisconsin
Yebot said:
Updated Xserves for the holiday crowd? Perhaps I misunderstand your post but I would never consider an Xserve a stocking stuffer.

with some of the money i see people throw around, it wouldn't surprise me that some people get 60 GB Video iPods and a maxed out Dual Core G5s as appetizers for some kids.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
ja0912 said:
When is the XBox launch?

(Apple wouldn't do a gaming machine. I'm just curious about release timing)
Xbox is here on Nov. 22 I believe. One week. Bring on the PS3!

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
I'm still waiting for proof that this is the year of HD.
Bring on something HD for me.
Oh, but leave Sony out of it, I'm boycotting them, now.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Tuesday's come and gone, so I guess maybe not? Xserves are the only thing left, as thousands have pointed out.. would make sense to update them, as they're the top pro machines. anyway..

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Tuesday's come and gone, so I guess maybe not? Xserves are the only thing left, as thousands have pointed out.. would make sense to update them, as they're the top pro machines. anyway..
They need to kill off all the old machines with the DDR chipsets, right now they are carrying 5 chipsets (2 extra for the last of the DDR machines.)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This may just be marketing from macmall again but when apple updated the Powermac to dual core I received an email from macmall business dept. advertising a sale of all things apple for 5% over cost a week before..

I just got another one like that
5% over cost.

Is something coming out in a few days?:confused:

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
Spock said:
xServes need an upgrade, but I was thinking wouldnt the xserve be a good first choice for intel? When You think about it, Im sure Apple has Mac OS X server for intel.

I would not want the first Intel product released by Apple to a SERVER! :eek:

A dual core Xserve G5 would be welcome news. The Intel server architechture sucks, the processors all share the same bus, but in the Xserve each processor has its own bus.

By the way, my eleven year old sister would love a pink Madonna iPod for Christmas. :p

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
i can smell a black 13 in widescreen intel ibook coming soon, I swear it! 2.8 ghz, HD 13 inch widescreen, beautiful black body ala clear painted shell, the works. And all for a low low price of $700!! if this is true, I don't are about being a guinea pig! if only one is untrue, such as the HD part, ill still be a guinea pig! but the only thing I ask is that it's black and widescreen. Then I'll love Apple to the day i die(wait, I already hit that stage...)!:rolleyes: ok, I only really want the black shell...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
JDOG_ said:
I'd like a gladiator-themed iPod with Russell Crowe like-ness and possibly some external speaker to threaten co-workers and innocent bystanders.

It may be untimely since the movie came out years ago, but frankly who would want a pink girlie nano when you could have a Maxiumus edition?

i like the sound of that. i would love to have a Maxiumus edition nano, or video ipod. great idea

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
electronboy said:
I would not want the first Intel product released by Apple to a SERVER! :eek:

A dual core Xserve G5 would be welcome news. The Intel server architechture sucks, the processors all share the same bus, but in the Xserve each processor has its own bus.

Yeah we all know Apple is using intels off the shelf hardware.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
iHateWindows said:
Weird.

I had a dream last night that Apple was phasing out the leftover G5's by offering dual-core G5 Mac Minis, iBooks, and Powerbooks.

I smell Macintels coming soon.:)

Between MacIntels and dualcore G5 PBs my money will be on the G5. It is gonna be a piece of history.

iHavenolife

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2005
Great Lakes Region
In code with tradition Apple has made its last major hardware release for
2005. By this time in the last year and all other years they had put out on
the table all the products for that year. Plus there would not be enough time to get it out to stores for the Christmas rush. Morning after Thanksgiving, Wink Wink.

allmodjohns

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2005
iBook speculation

Just thought I'd chip in with this. I was going to buy an iBook at the start of the month but the reseller I wanted to go with said that iBooks had been completely deleted from their inventory and wouldn't be coming back in. Then with a bit of further searching she found an entry for iBooks with a new catalogue number which wouldn't enter the general inventory until the start of December. I've decided to hold off on a purchase to see if there was maybe going to be one last update before the mactel switch.

I know another of the local resellers had no stock of iBooks at the same time and they were a bit sketchy about order times as well.

In my experience, supplies of Macs tend to dry up some before an upgrade, except for the apple store online.

who knows? the Mactel released now would be interesting but Apple has too long a history of the first generation of all their products being utter donkeys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.