Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Wait, so the LCD would have a tuner in it? why not just use zoomed video (i think that's right) and have a PCI card that supports HDTV in, then you can use your computer as a tuner... i mean, i doubt Apple is going to compete in the way of actual HDTV sets...

forgive me if i sound like an idiot, i have a very limited knowledge of this sort of thing...

pnw

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Wait, so the LCD would have a tuner in it? why not just use zoomed video (i think that's right) and have a PCI card that supports HDTV in, then you can use your computer as a tuner... i mean, i doubt Apple is going to compete in the way of actual HDTV sets...

There are about four different HDTV tuner cards for the PC, but none avalible for the Mac.

Unfortunately, since the PCI buses of most PCs can't handle the full uncompressed HDTV sugnal, it has to output it through the card, using the video card as a pass through and the output is only VGA so you have to buy a $400 adapter to get it to work with an Apple display.

On a lighter note, the HDTV cards for the PC compress the signal using hardware down tp 19.2MB/s so it fits nicely into the bandwith of FW400 with plenty of room to spare in FW800.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i would love for apple to come out with a tv tuner. plain and simple. it would be a great idea.
even though micro$oft would eventually do the same thing

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i would love for apple to come out with a tv tuner. plain and simple. it would be a great idea.
even though micro$oft would eventually do the same thing

Why would Apple moving into that market be such a great thing?

Reminds me of the late 80's early 90's when Apple lost their focus... they really did suffer back then. I hope they don't do that again.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by yzedf

Why would Apple moving into that market be such a great thing?

Reminds me of the late 80's early 90's when Apple lost their focus... they really did suffer back then. I hope they don't do that again.
I agree with yzedf, and I'm not convinced that television needs (or will be) part of the digital hub, Jobs hates TV anyways. I own a TV and that is what I generally watch DVDs and videos on, maybe down the road a few years a TV and computer will be two in the same, but I dont think that is plausible right now, not that it cant be done, but for lack of a market.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by paulwhannel
It would be nice for me, with a powerbook, having the tuner built into the moniter is very helpful.

And when I'm not using the computer, it can standalone and be a TV for me to watch HDTV...I would love it.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Ah. So it could be a box with ADC in and out, and use a USB interface to control the tuner, making it very few cables. You don't get the TVR functionality that way, though.

Nah, it makes no sense. Nobody is going to buy a 23" LCD because they want to watch TV.

Maybe a physically bigger, but lower-resolution panel which hangs on the wall, and attaches to a headless iMac with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Gateway tried this market and failed, but presumably because Windows made it too klutzy and geeky. Apple could possibly do it, but I still find it pretty doubtful. Video games have only invaded the living room by heavily suppressing their computer lineage.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Microsoft has already stepped into this market with WindowsXP Media Edition. Apple has already tried this The Macintosh T.V and the Quadra AVs, Performa's, the 20th Anv.Mac Etc... all had built in tuners.

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Finally!

I've been advocating HDTV in Macs for quite some time right now. Given the general convergence of the TV and the computer, the success of recording programs like TiVo, the new waves of HDTV machines hitting the market with increasing demand, the beautiful Mac LCDs, and the fact that Apple always tries to stay on top of the newest things, I think a Mac + HDTV solution would be incredible. Personally I've been hoping for a PowerBook 15" with an HDTV tuner built-in (perhaps the coax connector can be through FW800). I watch most of my movies on my PC anyway--might as well bring in high-quality HDTV.

My only question is can the powerbooks fit an HDTV tuner? How big are those things nowadays?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: Finally!

Originally posted by mcs37
Given the general convergence of the TV and the computer

Do we really need to go over this again?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001

I've been advocating HDTV in Macs for quite some time right now. Given the general convergence of the TV and the computer, the success of recording programs like TiVo, the new waves of HDTV machines hitting the market with increasing demand, the beautiful Mac LCDs, and the fact that Apple always tries to stay on top of the newest things, I think a Mac + HDTV solution would be incredible. Personally I've been hoping for a PowerBook 15" with an HDTV tuner built-in (perhaps the coax connector can be through FW800). I watch most of my movies on my PC anyway--might as well bring in high-quality HDTV.

My only question is can the powerbooks fit an HDTV tuner? How big are those things nowadays?

Huh?

Isn't this a dead thread from just under a year ago? What made you this this was going to happen now??

D

Moo

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
I've been using Apple products since '83. Working on my 6th or 7th Mac now. Since '84, lots of things have changed in the world of technology and for the most part, Apple has alway been ahead of the curve. Here is the ironic thing...The Mac is probably the best platform for creating HD content however, for playback or storage, we have no options.
I will be picking up a new G5 in the next month or two (depending on when Steve Jobs announces new models), and when I do, it sure would be the icing on the cake if there was some new card, or device using FW800, or Wi Fi to do something new, elegant, and oh so simple and obvious but yet, previously unheard of ( remember when GUI, iPod, iTunes, the first computer without a flopy, the mouse etc. were introduced?)
It certainly would be cool if something that operates in the HD arena came out of apple to become the next "Me Too" product of the next 5 years.

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
There is talk of Apple asking for bids from companies

to build such an item for the PowerMacs using Firewire 800 . Personally, I think Formac which makes the Studio dtv is the company that is the best prospect for such a product . The Studio DTV which is a great product , converts most types of anolog video to digital or the other way as well as a builtin tv tuner to create dvd quality quicktime movies . Plus by using their superdivideon Superdrive or Apple's superdrive , you can burn them to dvd-r . I would however, expect Apple to increase the resolution of their standard displays to at least 2056 X 1536 first so that HDTV could be displayed at its best (including the eMac ) .

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
this is a good idea. Gateway started selling consumer products like this and it's working out for them.

Apple already makes the screen, they might as well have it so you can use it as a TV set too!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Say what you may but its a good idea to bring the tv into the digital hub. i have been wanting to add tv to my mac but since iam planning on a new mac this year iam waiting to see what apple does. when that new mac does come it will have Tv connected to it one way or another and then i can plant my big fat butt in this chair and not move it till im ready:)

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia

Personally I've been hoping for a PowerBook 15" with an HDTV tuner built-in (perhaps the coax connector can be through FW800). I watch most of my movies on my PC anyway--might as well bring in high-quality HDTV.
I can understand the benefits of HDTV on a huge screen (50" or bigger) but is there really much to gain on a 15" screen?

Sure Apple, do it if it's simple... but the cost/benefit doesn't seem to make it here. (I am still all for Apple getting involved in my TV and stereo in several ways... just not this one)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.