Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is doubling down on its efforts to comfort retail employees and dampen any possible resurgence of active unionization in its 270+ stores by downplaying the significance of Apple Towson Town Center as the first store to unionize. According to employees who were present in recent meetings, Apple is making a "grass is not greener on the other side" argument even before the Apple Towson union has gotten organized.

apple-store-tower-theatre.jpg

Late last week, Apple retail employees nationwide were invited to an FAQ-style meeting where store management attempted to answer questions on Apple Towson and create an open environment to discuss unions. Apple Towson made history in June by becoming the first Apple store to unionize, and the idea of unionization has since taken hold with many employees seeking improved working conditions.

Several store managers had addressed the topic of the union vote at Apple Towson as it was happening, but for many others, it remained an elephant in the room. Last week during a "Daily Download," the term used for 15- to 30-minute meetings before stores open, Apple leadership appeared "cheery, and weirdly happy to discuss unionization efforts," one Apple Store employee said, asking to remain anonymous. "We were all expecting to get a new manager or hear some groundbreaking news about our store after the Download was hyped up at first. Then it turned out to be about Towson. We were all confused about why they were excited to talk about it."

The talking points last week seem to have been an attempt by top Apple executives to argue that Apple Towson's vote to unionize will do more harm than good in employees' relationships with the company they work for, according to multiple sources who attended the meeting. "They wanted to somehow make it seem as though Apple Towson had failed, even though they've hardly begun. It was a typical scare tactic that failed to work," one employee said.

Leaders told staff that the meeting, which took place in most locations last Thursday, was entirely optional for attendance. Employees were reluctant to miss the meeting, though, as doing so could be perceived as an unwillingness to hear Apple's perspective and, as a result, place targets on their backs.

The FAQ-style meeting was designed to answer questions preselected by Apple, including:

• What is a union and why does it matter at Apple Towson?
  • Did everyone at Towson get a raise?
  • Can you opt out of a union?
According to employees who attended the meeting, the answers from Apple leadership seemed intended to intimidate employees and downplay the benefits of joining a union, such as emphasizing that employees cannot leave a union once they join, that joining a union does not guarantee better benefits and pay, and that Apple Towson, despite its vote, still received the same pay raises all other retail employees received over the summer.

Store leaders also offered a chance for employees to ask questions, but they were largely unable to give on-the-spot answers. "I don’t have the answer to that, but I’ll get back to you after I find out," was a go-to response for questions asked, including whether Apple is providing any resources to employees who wish to join a union.

apple-townson-apples-website.jpeg
Apple Towson in Maryland. The first ever Apple Store to form a union.

During the meeting, store leaders also suggested that negotiations between Apple Towson, the union, and Apple leadership had fallen through and had been "unsuccessful." Apple Towson has not, however, formally begun negotiations with Apple and is still in the early stages of training and preparing for talks through the bargaining committee.

In the larger context, the latest union-related talking points come weeks after Apple offered merit-based pay increases to its retail staff. The increases typically happen yearly in the fall, but Apple, in a move widely speculated to have been an attempt to ease employee concerns, moved them up to the summer.

Although the pay raises coincided with ramped-up union momentum, Apple claimed during the meetings with staff that they were purely "coincidental" and that union efforts had in no way impacted Apple's decision to offer the pay raises now rather than in the fall as usual. "None of us believe this is true because we all know the company's hand is being forced. But the fact that a manager said from the get-go that the unionization had zero impact was the most disturbing to me," an Apple employee based in Texas said.

Based on employee conversations with MacRumors, the merit-based increases, irrespective of timing, angered employees more than they satisfied concerns. Some employees who are already on edge about working conditions felt that the 2–3% pay raises in many cases were a "slap in the face to the dedication we've shown during the pandemic," an employee at a store that's in the early stages of collecting signatures to bring a unionization vote told MacRumors.

Talks within stores about unionizing have been relatively stagnant over the last couple of weeks, mainly due to many employees opting for a "wait and see approach" to whether their concerns will be addressed following the pay raises and more open dialogue from store leadership to discuss workplace conditions. Apple leadership across the 272 retail locations made it clear that discussing a union is not a "hush subject," yet many employees continue to feel the nearly $3 trillion Cupertino tech giant is doing everything it can "to be anti-union at every grasp."

Article Link: Apple Holds Meeting With Retail Staff to Discuss Recent Unionization Activities

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Terrible.

I’ll be shopping elsewhere at most of these union shops popping up. It’ll just increase the prices for consumers while keeping the crappy employees from being fired.

Can’t wait for the union to do very little and see the many unhappy reports from the employees that were had by the snail oil salesmen.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Remember the grass is not always greener on the other side and get ready to start paying those union dues
Unions in concept are a good thing for employees. I mean, who would oppose protecting employees from exploitation by a huge company? In my experience, unions often get a bad reputation because of poor union leadership. I was in a union where the leadership caved in to nearly every demand the employer made. So in that case, the union was pointless. But under different leadership that union stood firm against management attempting to fire an employee who strongly disagreed with management policy. So in that case, the union was a very good thing indeed. Plus, the union guaranteed me health care and retirement benefits, something that few employers are prone to do voluntarily.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Why does the US have such an aversion to unions?
Not everyone does. But many people are not educated. Like the top post here - 'it'll lead to higher prices!'. of course if employees aren't making a decent living and that's the COST in real terms of cheap crap, that's a system that will fail anyway. How about the company makes a billion less in profits and cares more about employees than shareholders? Oh-oh..that will scare the folks who actually think a 'free market' exists outside of regulation. NO company provides for employees anymore than they are forced to. It is that simple.

Last edited:

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Terrible.

I’ll be shopping elsewhere at most of these union shops popping up. It’ll just increase the prices for consumers while keeping the crappy employees from being fired.

Can’t wait for the union to do very little and see the many unhappy reports from the employees that were had by the snail oil salesmen.
Not how anything works but ok.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I wonder why Apple top executives are so busy telling their employees that unions are bad?

I must assume that unions in the US are very different than here in Europe. Here they have helped us with higher salaries, payed absent if you’re sick, parental leave and many more benefits.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

1) All one needs to do is web search on union corruption to see the 'why'.

2) No one should be forced to join a union and pay dues (or an agency fee) to be employed. Right to work FTW! If you like the idea of unions, pay your dues, if you don't, don't.

3) Unions also tend to support only one political party leaving some percentage of members paying to support a party they don't want to support.

4) Seniority based system for preferred shifts and overtime. How about a skill/performance based system?

5) Look at any major democrat run city and see how the city is overburdened by retirement benefits awarded to unions instead of salary increases. Kicking the can down the road at its finest. Then when the cities increase taxes to pay for these Cadillac retirement programs the people of that city freak out and leave.... in droves.

6) General thuggery when construction contracts are won by non-union companies. Web search 'scabby the union rat' and how those construction sites suffer 'unfortunate acts of vandalism'.

7) No ability to negotiate for yourself, you get what the union has negotiated.

8) Protection of problematic employees. I have personally seen union employees protected even though they were caught stealing, sleeping, masturbating and sexually harassing other employees. In one instance, the sexual harassment one, the employee was fired but filed a grievance and won, was brought back after a year, seniority intact, back pay, etc. No consequences at all even though 10 people all saw and heard the harassment.

Last edited:

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I wonder why Apple top executives are so busy telling their employees that unions are bad?

I must assume that unions in the US are very different than here in Europe. Here they have helped us with higher salaries, payed absent if you’re sick, parental leave and many more benefits.

An an American now living in London, I can tell you why. See my post above . Unions are a HUGE benefit to common people and anyone who says otherwise is playing straight into the hands of the corporations

Last edited:

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
According to employees who attended the meeting, the answers from Apple leadership seemed intended to intimidate employees and downplay the benefits of joining a union, such as emphasizing that employees cannot leave a union once they join, that joining a union does not guarantee better benefits and pay, and that Apple Towson, despite its vote, still received the same pay raises all other retail employees received over the summer.

Well, that's a bald-face lie. Requiring union membership, or not allowing members to exit the union while retaining their job, has been illegal nationwide since 1947 under the Taft-Hartley Act.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Honestly, I'm more surprised companies haven't found a way to reach a sort of "skewed compromise" to where their higher ups can get their bonuses, but the average employee can still be paid well, and they don't have to deal with this kind of press. It just always feels like it has to be this one single extreme and it's usually favoring the idea of profit.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
All one needs to do is web search on union corruption to see the 'why'.

Furthermore no one should be forced to join a union and pay dues to be employed. Right to work FTW!

"This abuse may take the form of collusive arrangements between union officials and employers that occur at the expense of union members or corruption within the unions themselves."

That doesn't mean that unions as a concept are bad, it's also supporting that employers are engaging in racketeering activity.

No one is ever forced to join a union (if I recall the Taft/Hartley act is relevant here) - your right to work is balanced by the right to be fired (at will [in the US]).

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Terrible.

Keep buying that corporate BS, while Apple's margins are near 40%.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
Because we in the US seem to believe that employers should be similar to slave owners who pay a wage. That is why so many people in the US have no issue with income inequality or with the pathetic leave many people receive on an annual basis or that the only way to get decent health care in the US is to find an employer with decent health benefits. Our culture has become geared around the mentality that employers are usually right and if the employees don't like it they should quit being lazy and better themselves, which ignores the fact that we basically have become a low wage service economy.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
More big companies should encourage unions not the other way around. I remember way back when I worked at Fedex they made us watch anti-union vhs propaganda. In general unions are good and built the middle class which has been slowly dwindling since 1980. There is always some corruption either way and on both sides.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Terrible.

Unions are amazing. Employees cannot be fired at will, their leaders will negotiate raises for employees, if conditions or % of raises aren’t deemed appropriate then there will be additional negotiations. Better benefits. The list goes on and on.

The only proof you need is that all capitalist corporate entities are against unions.

Corporations are not people, they don’t have your best interests in mind (ever), and they are definitely not your friend.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I don’t understand non skilled laborers unionizing. Retail is a high turnover profession which mostly requires new skills. The solution is mostly firing employees making pointless demands.

In grad school there was a union push because the grads with degrees in lame stuff were jealous of the grad students who got paid more money in the sciences. But it was wacky because the money grad students get paid doesn’t come from a magic university bucket it comes from the funding of their sponsoring faculty. Anyway…it got voted down because the science students figured out that it was all non science majors just wanting to steal their lunch money.

On the other side my brother in law is a skilled craftsman and his union has been good to him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.