Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Hey guys was wondering if there is anyway to use home kit on the Apple TV yet ?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No. That was the biggest shocker for me. I thought it would be the hub for HomeKit products, but there was zero mention of it at the keynote.

bebbo

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Leicester UK
The HomeKit framework is completely missing in the current release of tvOS so no HomeKit apps can be created for the ATV at this point. From the various discussions and bug reports it looks like it may appear in a future update, hopefully soon as this was one of my main interest areas as I am in the middle of writing an app for it...

Reactions: Jaro65 and m11rphy

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Suggest it at apple.com/feedback

If enough people suggest it, hopefully it'll show up. I was surprised I couldn't use Siri on the AppleTV to turn off lights.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I doubt it needs a suggestion. One major point of the new hardware was to have HomeKit be onboard as the hub, and it didn't make it for some reason. I assume it will be there 'soon'.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I doubt it needs a suggestion. One major point of the new hardware was to have HomeKit be onboard as the hub, and it didn't make it for some reason. I assume it will be there 'soon'.

Well i filled the form in anyway, can't do any harm

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
What are you guys mumbling about? Of course there HomeKit and the ATV4 is the heart and soul...when it comes to remote access.

There is no need for the ATV just to use HomeKit within your LAN. But if you want to access your HomeKit products over the internet, then you will need the ATV, and it works fine although a bit slow.

Reactions: CarlJ

rmadrid20

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Hi guys, anyone of you know a good Smartkit HUB that works with SIRI and allows me to ADD Zwave devices?
Thanks

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
What are you guys mumbling about? Of course there HomeKit and the ATV4 is the heart and soul...when it comes to remote access.

There is no need for the ATV just to use HomeKit within your LAN. But if you want to access your HomeKit products over the internet, then you will need the ATV, and it works fine although a bit slow.
can you elaborate? everyone elses post was clear to me, but this is quite confusing.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You do not need Apple TV4 to use HomeKit on your own LAN. You only need Apple TV4 if you want to control HomeKit remotely away from your home. For example; say you have a Ecobee 3 thermostat (HomeKit version) and you want to control it via HomeKit while you are home. It will work without a Apple TV4 via a iPad and/or a iPhone. However, if you are at work and you want to control it, then, you will need a Apple TV4. The current version of Apple TV4 should be able to do this out of the box.

rmadrid20

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Thanks now my other question, I recently switched to iphone and i really like it, and i had veralite controlling my zwave thermostat and my zwave door lock and i was planing on adding some aeon light switches, which will be the best hub to add this zwave devices and be able to control them with siri?

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
can you elaborate? everyone elses post was clear to me, but this is quite confusing.

What's confusing? You'll need an ATV4 in order to control your HomeKit devices remotely, you won't need an ATV4 if you only want to be able to control your devices within you LAN.

Thanks now my other question, I recently switched to iphone and i really like it, and i had veralite controlling my zwave thermostat and my zwave door lock and i was planing on adding some aeon light switches, which will be the best hub to add this zwave devices and be able to control them with siri?

I haven't got a good answer but it needs to support two things, Z-Wave and HomeKit.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
What's confusing? You'll need an ATV4 in order to control your HomeKit devices remotely, you won't need an ATV4 if you only want to be able to control your devices within you LAN.

I haven't got a good answer but it needs to support two things, Z-Wave and HomeKit.

I want to use the apple tv to control home kit lights via the Siri remote for example intead of using my phone

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
What's confusing? You'll need an ATV4 in order to control your HomeKit devices remotely, you won't need an ATV4 if you only want to be able to control your devices within you LAN..
Everyone else on this thread up until that point was talking about a literal app on the tv so you can use the siri remote to contol homekit. Youre talking about an invisible hub for a specific purpose of remote usage, and acting like somehow we're the ones who are all loopy. Macnificent cleared it up but you werent clear, and yet still kind of belligerent about it.

tjmrpm04

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Richmond, VA
Everyone else on this thread up until that point was talking about a literal app on the tv so you can use the siri remote to contol homekit. Youre talking about an invisible hub for a specific purpose of remote usage, and acting like somehow we're the ones who are all loopy. Macnificent cleared it up but you werent clear, and yet still kind of belligerent about it.

I didn't take his comment as belligerent. For me I am looking for a smarthome hub and would prefer to use the AppleTV if I could. What I got from his comments is that if a device is homekit enabled, then the iPhone/iPad can control it via app integration without the use of a hub (is that correct?). However if you wish to control the devices from anywhere that you are in the world, not connected to your home wifi, you will need a different kind of hub and at this moment, the AppleTV is incapable of doing so. Am I correct in what I said?

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
I didn't take his comment as belligerent. For me I am looking for a smarthome hub and would prefer to use the AppleTV if I could. What I got from his comments is that if a device is homekit enabled, then the iPhone/iPad can control it via app integration without the use of a hub (is that correct?). However if you wish to control the devices from anywhere that you are in the world, not connected to your home wifi, you will need a different kind of hub and at this moment, the AppleTV is incapable of doing so. Am I correct in what I said?
You can use the New AppleTV to access your homekit devices when away from the home, dtetails in this cnet link http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-apple-tv-to-control-your-smart-home-gear/

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
"what are you guys mumbling about, of course theres homekit (in this one specific kinda hidden way)" just hit me wrong

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015

Quite the opposite, I'm afraid.

Let's say you have a bunch of Philips Hue lightbulbs and also the newest Philips Hue bridge, the one that supports HomeKit. Then, at home, you can control the lights from compatible iOS apps and also with Siri. No need of the Apple TV.

If you want to be able to do the same thing when being OUTSIDE of your home (i.e. not on your home network) over the internet, then you will need the Apple TV version 3 och 4.

You will always be needing a hub to interpret the commands sent over Siri or through the iOS app to your HomeKit enabled devices. The Apple TV can not act as a hub for this, to the best of my knowledge. It's mearly a gateway between your local network inside your home and the internet.

HomeKit is not a "thing". It's just a framework for the supported devices to operate within. You don't "control" HomeKit, you control your HomeKit enabled devices.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Quite the opposite, I'm afraid.

Let's say you have a bunch of Philips Hue lightbulbs and also the newest Philips Hue bridge, the one that supports HomeKit. Then, at home, you can control the lights from compatible iOS apps and also with Siri. No need of the Apple TV.

If you want to be able to do the same thing when being OUTSIDE of your home (i.e. not on your home network) over the internet, then you will need the Apple TV version 3 och 4.

You will always be needing a hub to interpret the commands sent over Siri or through the iOS app to your HomeKit enabled devices. The Apple TV can not act as a hub for this, to the best of my knowledge. It's mearly a gateway between your local network inside your home and the internet.

HomeKit is not a "thing". It's just a framework for the supported devices to operate within. You don't "control" HomeKit, you control your HomeKit enabled devices.

?? I use my hue 2.0 bridge and can control my lights both in and outside of my house...

Reactions: Coleman2010

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
?? I use my hue 2.0 bridge and can control my lights both in and outside of my house...

Only through the Hue app, which logs on to Philips remote service. Nothing else works.

If you want to control your lights remotely with another app that supports HomeKit or if you want to control other HomeKit enabled devices remotely, you will need either an ATV3 or ATV4.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
OK just a clearification... HomeKit is installed on Apple TV 4, but it has been (temporarily) disabled by Apple. No further updates have been given regarding this. Other manufacturers products shouldn't be effected by this (other than remote access).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Only through the Hue app, which logs on to Philips remote service. Nothing else works.

If you want to control your lights remotely with another app that supports HomeKit or if you want to control other HomeKit enabled devices remotely, you will need either an ATV3 or ATV4.

oh, correct. I thought you meant you could not control the hue lights away from home with the new bridge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.