Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hilbert92

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Ohio
You do not need Apple TV4 to use HomeKit on your own LAN. You only need Apple TV4 if you want to control HomeKit remotely away from your home. For example; say you have a Ecobee 3 thermostat (HomeKit version) and you want to control it via HomeKit while you are home. It will work without a Apple TV4 via a iPad and/or a iPhone. However, if you are at work and you want to control it, then, you will need a Apple TV4. The current version of Apple TV4 should be able to do this out of the box.

I have homekit enabled products with a 3rd gen apple tv and i can control everything when im not at home. Homekit works with both the 3rd and 4th gen apple tvs

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I have homekit enabled products with a 3rd gen apple tv and i can control everything when im not at home. Homekit works with both the 3rd and 4th gen apple tvs
You might want to tell Apple, because the 3rd gen does not have the HomeKit chip installed.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You might want to tell Apple, because the 3rd gen does not have the HomeKit chip installed.
AFAIK, the AppleTV (at least the 3) just relays the stuff to the devices inside your house that have the HomeKit chip installed. Doesn't appear to need any special chip to do that.

How do Siri, HomeKit, and HomeKit-enabled ecobee3 communicate with each other?

When you use Siri to control your HomeKit-enabled ecobee3, the communication occurs between HomeKit and HomeKit-enabled ecobee3 without needing to communicate with the ecobee servers.

If you are away from home, you will need an AppleTV (3rd generation or later) with AppleTV software 7.0 or later. In this case, the commands will communicate through Apple iCloud, then the Apple TV, which in turn communicates with your HomeKit-enabled ecobee3.

zinned

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
OK just a clearification... HomeKit is installed on Apple TV 4, but it has been (temporarily) disabled by Apple. No further updates have been given regarding this. Other manufacturers products shouldn't be effected by this (other than remote access).

What do you mean by HomeKit being temporarily disabled by Apple? That's not true. It works just as it's supposed to, works fine.

There is no HomeKit chip involved. It's a software framework.

Last edited:

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
What do you mean by HomeKit being temporarily disabled by Apple? That's not true. It works just as it's supposed to, works fine.
Per Apple, as of September 2015, the HomeKit framework is not currently available on tvOS. I will see if I can get an update on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.