Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Let's be honest here for a moment.

What would of been nice of Apple, would have been to do what they have done, brought together the full collection of Robin Williams movies, and follow that up by saying over the next month 50% (or anything between 50% and 100%) of the "profits" from these downloads will go to XXX charity.

Would have been a nice gesture, and when the person who dreamt this up for iTune gets some feedback from others, and after a few meetings, we may even see Apple change their mind and come out with some PR statement like this in a while.

Should Google do the same? I see Barnes & Noble are also highlighting his work. Should they do the same?

I could maybe understand this way of thinking if Apple was selling something it had never sold before. But everything they're highlighting was available for sale before Williams died. All they did was make it easier for people to find. Amazon did something similar with The Sopranos after James Gandolfini died.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Unless all the movies are free to rent, I'd say this is less honouring and more cashing-in.

For a company so clearly cashing in, you'd think they'd at least have the decency to link the "Remembering Robin Williams" page of their site to the Robin Williams section of the Store, so that we could start handing over our money as quickly as possible.

But, nothing. Seems almost like they're actually honoring the man.

Lamers.

SlipSlidinAwa

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Fort William, Scotland, UK
Apples 30% Commision

A dedicated section, but no discounts. Looks like Apple is just trying to cash in on this marketing "opportunity". Makes me feel kind of off about it...

I hope they donate this to a good cause and not just benefit from the extra sales. At least his family will benefit from the income that they will sorely need.

Much as I admired RW, having seen what suicide does to people this is basically a selfish act which devastates families and friends leaving an impact for years, and in his case nations.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nice way to cash in on his death, if they respected him so much why not out a front banner with a few words? Instead of using his death as a catalyst for more sales.

Oh well enjoy the cash apple !!
I guess you didn't see the front page of apple.com that has a tribute to Williams? If Apple was just out to cash in on his death that page would have included a link to buy his stuff on iTunes.

I can't believe its so hard for people to get that Apple is just making it easier for people to find his stuff on iTunes since they know it will be heavily searched for. They're selling the same content they did before he died. The fact that sales spike after a celebrity dies is nothing new. I don't get all the outrage. :confused:

----------

For a company so clearly cashing in, you'd think they'd at least have the decency to link the "Remembering Robin Williams" page of their site to the Robin Williams section of the Store, so that we could start handing over our money as quickly as possible.

But, nothing. Seems almost like they're actually honoring the man.

Lamers.

Apple is so greedy and insensitive cashing in by putting an iTunes link on their tribute page....oh wait, they didn't.

23u7fgp.jpg

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Should Google do the same? I see Barnes & Noble are also highlighting his work. Should they do the same?

I could maybe understand this way of thinking if Apple was selling something it had never sold before. But everything they're highlighting was available for sale before Williams died. All they did was make it easier for people to find. Amazon did something similar with The Sopranos after James Gandolfini died.

No one is going to flame Google as they do the same post-mortem tribute or mention of RW that Apple is doing. Why should they bother? Apple is a much more convenient target of their rage, since it is perceived to the most successful company.

Apple is singled out every time. Doesn't matter if you bring up more evidence that Amazon, Microsoft, Google and others are holding similar epic and opportunity-siezing "sales" on their web stores. All the flames will still be directed at Apple. Google and others will get a free pass. I knew this already.

And yet…. had Apple remained totally silent about RW's death, guess what? The legions would have been banging at the gates and saying how shameful it was for Apple to stay silent and "ignore" a special talented person who was near and dear to the Apple/Mac community. So predictable. Meh. :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There's nothing wrong with what Apple did. Nothing.

In what sense? Legally, of course not. Morally, it's a crass attempt to cash in on another man's and family's tragedy.

Nothing wrong with honoring Williams, but like I said, if Apple was sincere about it they would have just posted something on the front page of the site and let people do their own searching OR pledged some of their profits from the sales and rentals to a cause Williams worked for -- his family has listed plenty in lieu of flowers.

Last I heard Apple is keeping every last penny for itself. Poor form if you ask me, and kind of two-faced with all of Tim Cook's "softer side of Apple" social agenda crap he's been pushing out.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Google is horrible! They didn't even put a tribute on their home page like apple did. Just exploited his death with their play store sale. I bet they won't even give a dime to charity. Disgusting corporate greed.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

ANYONE who puts together a collection of anything for sale, and makes such an act public, trying to make out you, as a company are doing something special due to a tragic death, should ALWAYS be seen in the public eye to either not profiting from their death, or at the very least giving a reasonable percentage of the profits that will naturally come from such an exercise to some worth charity, normally in line with the cause of the passing away of the person.

It would be better to do nothing than to do what Apple have done.

By doing this they will directly profit from his death, no question about it, and that is very distasteful and only an idiot at Apple would not understand that many would see it in such a way.

Many times people do things for tragic events at no gain for themselves, and when a company as RICH as Apple still want to claw onto extra profits from their actions to publish a special collection of his works is looks very very bad.

----------

In what sense? Legally, of course not. Morally, it's a crass attempt to cash in on another man's and family's tragedy.

Nothing wrong with honoring Williams, but like I said, if Apple was sincere about it they would have just posted something on the front page of the site and let people do their own searching OR pledged some of their profits from the sales and rentals to a cause Williams worked for -- his family has listed plenty in lieu of flowers.

Last I heard Apple is keeping every last penny for itself. Poor form if you ask me, and kind of two-faced with all of Tim Cook's "softer side of Apple" social agenda crap he's been pushing out.

100% Agree

For a company as rich as Apple to even risk being seen as financially gaining via a "Special Collection" on their store, to gain sales, and hold onto every extra cent they make from his death is disgusting.

At very least, as I said, they should make is plane that either some or all profits from this go to a charity to help others in a similar situation.

God knows how Apple's RP team think these days :(

One can only hope the dumb asses at Apple realize and back track fast and we will soon see a statement from them about their donation from the profits from this collection in memory of the very sad event.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Much as I admired RW, having seen what suicide does to people this is basically a selfish act which devastates families and friends leaving an impact for years, and in his case nations.

People that believe suicide is a selfish act are first and foremost concerned about their own feelings and how the suicide impacts them. Blaming the person rather than understanding the causes of the illness.

I'd encourage you to volunteer in a mental health facility or association and learn about bipolar disorder, depression and suicide ideation.

By helping patients avoid the downward spiral of this illness of the brain, you will feel better about yourself and help avoid the "impact on families and friends" you speak of.

Rest in Peace my Captain.

----------

Thank you.
A man died and all some people can think of is "a sale would be better".

Indeed!

Dear MR community.
Rent or buy your favourite Robin Williams movie and make a donation to mental health associations or volunteer your time to them.
Lead by example instead of demanding others to discount your entertainment to save-a-buck.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Some of these comments make me sick.

All Apple did was gather all the Robin Williams stuff and put it in one place. Nothing more, nothing less.

I feel sad for those people that always think there is some sinister conspiracy going on. Or blaming a business for being a business.

Nobody here has to look at the page. Just move on and let the rest of us deal with the loss of a great human being.

mikerudolph22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
DC Metro Area
Chances are everyone looking at Apple products has already seen, can afford, or even owns a few Robin Williams titles already anyway...he has had such a hugely positive impact on my life, it's insane.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
His comedy never appealed to me, but he was certainly talented. Just not my taste.

----------

Google is horrible! They didn't even put a tribute on their home page like apple did. Just exploited his death with their play store sale. I bet they won't even give a dime to charity. Disgusting corporate greed.

Why should they? He was nothing special. Just because he was famous? :rolleyes:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
His comedy never appealed to me, but he was certainly talented. Just not my taste.

----------

Why should they? He was nothing special. Just because he was famous? :rolleyes:

It was sarcasm ...google and apple are simply providing a link to items that both companies know people will be searching for.

Its not them doing this that made people want to buy his movies as some people in this thread are suggesting.

People just look for reasons to bash apple no matter what they do...was just pointing out that all companies do this to the people who want to claim its apple specific.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
God knows how Apple's RP team think these days :(

One can only hope the dumb asses at Apple realize and back track fast and we will soon see a statement from them about their donation from the profits from this collection in memory of the very sad event.

You do realize that it only takes mere minutes for an experienced web designer to put up that simple "tribute" webpage like Apple did for Robin Williams? They have the tools to do this easily with the iTunes Store site also.

But it would take them much longer time, logistically, to put together a charity-fund-trust where a certain amount of proceeds could be funneled to RW's favorite charity. The CEO would literally have to consult with a bunch of financial execs, the CFO, some corporate lawyers, a dozen bean counters (lesser finance officers), and then decide just how much they are willing to contribute without ticking off the army of investors, etc. (they are still a Publicly Held Company, beholden to the investors)

The donation idea could still happen. But the knee-jerk accusation is not necessary. If you really cared, why not submit this to Apple Feedback?

Here I made it easy for you!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Heres the google play store...its disgusting that google would do this! Exploiting death to get some sales. Its not a tribute to an awesome actor or anything, its straight up exploitation! Disgusting!!

qydu4ahy.jpg

Relax, people.

Cool.
Gotta love Apple and Google doing the same stuff.
Magic.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You do realize that it only takes mere minutes for an experienced web designer to put up that simple "tribute" webpage like Apple did for Robin Williams? They have the tools to do this easily with the iTunes Store site also.

But it would take them much longer time, logistically, to put together a charity-fund-trust where a certain amount of proceeds could be funneled to RW's favorite charity. The CEO would literally have to consult with a bunch of financial execs, the CFO, some corporate lawyers, a dozen bean counters (lesser finance officers), and then decide just how much they are willing to contribute without ticking off the army of investors, etc. (they are still a Publicly Held Company, beholden to the investors)

The donation idea could still happen. But the knee-jerk accusation is not necessary. If you really cared, why not submit this to Apple Feedback?

Here I made it easy for you!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Thanks.

But do you think Apple employs rouge web designers that off their own back just throws something up on behalf of Apple that the world will judge Apple by?

Tim just says, oh I don't mind, just do what you think is right, I'm sure it will be ok whatever your decide to the web team?

Really ?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thanks.

But do you think Apple employs rouge web designers that off their own back just throws something up on behalf of Apple that the world will judge Apple by?

Tim just says, oh I don't mind, just do what you think is right, I'm sure it will be ok whatever your decide to the web team?

Really ?

Holy smokes. You completely missed his point.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Why!?

Why honor a person who took the coward's way out? To end your life may end your problems, but it transfers and creates new problems for the people you leave behind. Such a cowardly act.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Holy smokes. You completely missed his point.

Nope.

The implication was that it only takes moments to throw a web page together but much longer to set up charitable donations.

My response was, would you, as the boss of Apple, one of the richest companies that many millions watch, allow your web designer to just do something for the world to see, before you had decided as a company how you were going to handle it?

----------

Why honor a person who took the coward's way out? To end your life may end your problems, but it transfers and creates new problems for the people you leave behind. Such a cowardly act.

Totally disagree.

Perhaps if those around him, who you feel are going to have issue with his sad death gave more of a **** before he felt this was his only way out, then it would not of happened.

It's very sad and takes great courage to do what he did.
It's so sad those around him did not make him feel like this was not his only final option.

Perhaps they now will realize how much better they could of been, and I hope some of them feel responsible for what has happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.