Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing a tradition begun four years ago, Apple today has joined in recognizing World AIDS Day by coloring Apple logos on its retail stores around the world bright red. The worldwide event was established to represent the global fight in preventing HIV and AIDS, as well as promoting healthy education of the diseases, a cause Apple has helped forward with its line of (PRODUCT)RED accessories.

Apple-AIDS-Decoration.jpg
World AIDS Day decoration at Apple's Brussels, Belgium store from Twitter user WJPM

As in years past, the company has taken to promoting the World AIDS Day events not only in retail locations but on its online storefront, as well. The home page of Apple.com today encourages visitors to shop the company's (PRODUCT)RED line of Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch, and Beats accessories to help promote and fund AIDS defense and awareness.

Apple-Product-Red-Banner.jpg

Apple Stores known to be participating in the event include the Bondi Junction location near Sydney, Australia, the Brussels, Belgium store, and Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue spot in New York City. The company quietly launched a (PRODUCT)RED leather case for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus yesterday in time for the December 1 event, and teamed up with iOS developer Supercell in an exclusive promotional event that will let players purchase rare in-game items with 100 percent of proceeds going to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Honors World AIDS Day for the Fifth Year With Red Store Logos

Reactions: jkcerda

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Not trying to be a downer or anything. But like one of the previous guy said, AIDS is mostly contracted disease. I wonder if it would be batter if they direct this toward cancer or something else.
what a horribly ignorant thing to say. you know that there are people in third world countries who don't even understand AIDS? Who were born with it and continue to propagate it? It's not just a sexually promiscuous and drug shooters disease.

also, whats up with the "cause A is better than cause B" crap on the internet these days? it's tiresome. we can all work together toward a better world. we don't need to pick the worst disease or social justice issue and conquer them one at a time in order of perceived importance.

[edit: apparently some of you think my post here says "lets fix all the worlds problems all at once!" -- that isn't what this post says so please don't waste your time or mine making another post about it]

Last edited:

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Really sad that bringing awareness to a disease that kills 2 million people per year has to go in the controversial sub forum...

Well, these last three posts already show why it has to go into this sub-forum:

Not trying to be a downer or anything. But like one of the previous guy said, AIDS is mostly contracted disease. I wonder if it would be batter if they direct this toward cancer or something else.

That's pretty cold.

what a horribly ignorant thing to say. you know that there are people in third world countries who don't even understand AIDS? Who were born with it and continue to propagate it? It's not just a sexually promiscuous and drug shooters disease.

Half way down the first page the ****storm is already brewing.

Last edited:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
That's pretty cold.

I get it I'm not trying to be an ass, when I said that. I was just wondering in general maybe there IS a better use for the money, or resources. Do an analysis constrain to third world countries, and see if AIDS is the worst disease they are dealing with, maybe Malaria?

Well, these last three posts already show why it has to go into this sub-forum:

Half way down the first page the ********* is already brewing.

also, whats up with the "cause A is better than cause B" crap on the internet these days? it's tiresome. we can all work together toward a better world. we don't need to pick the worst disease or social justice issue and conquer them one at a time in order of perceived importance.

In a perfect world yes, I'd say go for it. However, we don't all the time, money, and resources. You can't just randomly say let's tackle ALL the problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NMBob

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I get it I'm not trying to be an ass, when I said that. I was just wondering in general maybe there IS a better use for the money, or resources. Do an analysis constrain to third world countries, and see if AIDS is the worst disease they are dealing with, maybe Malaria?

I am with you on this, but there might be something else that we don't see. It is entirely possible that funding AIDS research is somewhat easier than funding malaria/cancer research, due to regulations, grant rules, corrupt governments etc.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

I agree. AIDS doesn't even rate in the top ten of the leading causes of death:
  1. Heart disease
  2. Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
  3. Chronic lower respiratory disease
  4. Accidents (unintentional injuries)
  5. Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
  6. Alzheimer's disease
  7. Diabetes (diabetes mellitus)
  8. Influenza and pneumonia
  9. Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
  10. Suicide (intentional self-harm).
Apple would do much better focusing their huge pile of money on something else, but, Apple is a left wing leaning organization and the CEO is gay so no surprise.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Your reply was rude. He was just stating his opinion on where it would be better directing research funds. He did not say that it's useless, or that Africans should die. He just think that priorities should be somewhere else. Can you live with the idea that people have different opinions?

Reactions: t76turbo and NMBob

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
you know that isn't even remotely what i said.

Please explain more. You said we don't need to pick the worst disease or social justice issues, I get that. But how do you suppose we tackle them all at once?

Never mind I'm done here, I just noticed that I'm in the "Politics, Religion, Social Issues" section. I'll just crawl back to my usual sections.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Agreed, there are many good causes for companies to support & Apple just happens to support AIDS awareness & World Aids Day, just as there are many companies that support World Cancer Day, such as.......... erm!

Reactions: NMBob

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
we don't need to pick the worst disease or social justice issue and conquer them one at a time in order of perceived importance.

Of course we do, unless you think everything can be fixed simultaneously.

Here is my order of precedence for cures:

#1 Any fatal childhood disease.
#2 Alzheimer's
#3 All forms of cancer
#4 Ability to heal severe burns w/o scarring, especially in children.

I don't know where AIDS would be. Maybe 6 or 7.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
  1. Heart disease
  6. Alzheimer's disease
Apple would do much better focusing their huge pile of money on something else, but, Apple is a left wing leaning organization so no surprise.
Its charity. It's all welcome. It's not our place to tell people where to put their money and attention plus Cancer and other diseases have way more funds directed towards them than HIV....and you could also argue that many of these other diseases are also caused by the people themselves on some level or another. Simply washing your hands and eating healthy, non smoking can stop many of the other diseases. So lets not play the whole ohh you get HIV from being promiscuous when you can get it upon having sex with someone 1 time.

Last edited:

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Please explain more. You said we don't need to pick the worst disease or social justice issues, I get that. But how do you suppose we tackle them all at once?
I wish I knew how we could make the world perfect but unfortunately even if I did, it would piss someone off and they'd try to kill me and then it wouldn't be a perfect world anymore. All i'm saying is, there are 7 billion people in the world. The resources are there for us to focus on many different things. We need to work together. I took your first post as a criticism of Apple supporting a cause and that might not have been your point. It's just that I've seen a lot of that lately on social media, etc. People tearing each other down for supporting one thing and not another. There are people dedicating their lives to cancer research and others to AIDS research. Every day we move closer to being able to understand these diseases better than the day before. Let's celebrate the small wins and efforts people are putting into those and other good things.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
  1. Heart disease
  6. Alzheimer's disease
Apple would do much better focusing their huge pile of money on something else, but, Apple is a left wing leaning organization and the CEO is gay so no surprise.

I'm not sure that left/right wing has anything to do with the choice of campaign, I'm fairly right wing, but I certainly support World Aids Day. I don't suffer from the ill-educated preconceptions that might lead people to think that right-wingers would be anti such a campaign. Surely such notions are so outdated as to be pitiable?

Your list is interesting, but as far as I can see only one (maybe two if you count "accidents") from the 10 can be succumbed to merely through lack of awareness of the preventative steps.

This is the problem with charity/causes - one man's meat is another's poison &etc.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
(RED) has been previously criticized for lack of transparency and ineffectiveness of its investments -- in other words, that most of the money did not reach those in need.

I have no issue supporting a cause to help end suffering in whatever form it is found. I try to donate to places and causes that I believe will invest directly in helping those in need. I am not sure how well (RED) is doing these days as it relates to the the criticism, but this would certainly keep me from donating to them specifically versus to the cause in general.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
That's awesome. You weren't even trying and yet you totally nailed it. That's skill.

In a perfect world yes, I'd say go for it. However, we don't all the time, money, and resources. You can't just randomly say let's tackle ALL the problems.

Reactions: AdonisSMU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.