Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple violated federal law by holding mandatory anti-union meetings and interrogating and coercing employees at an Atlanta retail location, according a ruling from the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) that was shared by Bloomberg.

atlanta-apple-store.jpg

Back in May, employees at the Cumberland Mall retail location planned to hold a union election in June, with the Communication Workers of America (CWA) organizing the store. The CWA withdrew its request to hold an election, accusing Apple of "repeated violations" that made a "free and fair election impossible."

In a statement shared by Bloomberg, the CWA said today that "Apple executives think the rules don't apply to them," equating Apple's tactics to "psychological warfare."

The NLRB said that it will issue a complaint if Apple does not settle, and it would be the second such complaint. The NLRB issued a complaint against Apple in September after Apple used the same anti-union tactics at a New York store. The NLRB is not able to assess penalties, but it is able to seek policy changes and informational remedies.

Article Link: Apple Illegally Interrogated and Coerced Employees Trying to Unionize in Atlanta, Says U.S. Labor Board

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The Communications Workers of America represents working people in telecommunications, customer service, media, airlines, health care, public service and education, manufacturing, tech and other fields.

"We'll take anyone if they pay us dues" is not a union that actually represents or fights for the people paying dues.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
"We'll take anyone if they pay us dues" is not a union that actually represents or fights for the people paying dues.
Spoken like a true anti-worker rights employer.

I’ve never been part of a union or had access to them in my career but I’d support unions for any of my employees. Granted I’ve never been such a terrible employer that I’d have to actually negotiate with one.

Apple is a nearly trillion dollar entity. They CAN afford to provide improved working conditions and even pay their staff a little more.

Enough with the corporate and individual greed.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Okay if Apple violated law, fine. They should be held accountable. But “psychological warfare” gimme a break!
Don't underestimate the power of unintended coercion. Because the power relations between manager/director and worker (particularly non-union represented worker) is undeniably unequal, you have to find ways to mitigate that existing imbalance for actually free elections.

I have been rather disappointed in Apple's approach towards labour unions. You'd think there's a small chance that Apple would "Think Different" with regards to this, but they have been and are acting just like any old corporate America would. SMH. Shame on Apple.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Resources. You expect a bunch of individual (mostly college age) retail workers to form a legal entity, hire attorneys and an advisory board? Just to start. Come on…

Just imagine if there was a union for retail workers.

Huh, weird that all these other random, totally-not-dying unions keep trying to go after Apple Store employees...

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Nah, they'll pay a fine and that's it.

Nothing ever happens to these companies that would normally destroy a small business or an individual.
Well yeah doesn’t surprise me they will get off light. But i mean if this happened, it’s a pretty bad thing to do. Captain obvious moment for me I know.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
My guess is that any coercion they claim happened was actually just mandatory meetings where they talked about the benefits and other 'pros' from being employed with Apple today. I went through this with a previous employer. They were allowed to tell us their opinions. And the union was allowed to tell us theirs. But it isnt like the company has to keep their mouths shut. They can tell their side as well.......

Unions are only valuable to bad employees and the union bosses. All others benefit more without them involved. Thank goodness I live in a right to work state which means I can not be forced to join a union as can happen today in non-right to work states. Either join the union or you find another line of work. THAT sounds fair and beneficial???

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Uh oh. Don't all the union haters on the other article look prescient now.

Sarc off.

Bad Apple! Bad bad Apple!

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I’ve never been such a terrible employer that I’d have to actually negotiate with one.

Apple isn't a terrible employer either and by all accounts is a pretty good employer when it comes to retail staff.

No matter how "good" an employer you are someone will want more from you, especially if you are very successful as the owner.

Apple is a nearly trillion dollar entity. They CAN afford to provide improved working conditions and even pay their staff a little more.

So just because Apple is successful they should over pay their retail employees versus the market? That doesn't make any sense.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
My guess is that any coercion they claim happened was actually just mandatory meetings where they talked about the benefits and other 'pros' from being employed with Apple today. I went through this with a previous employer. They were allowed to tell us their opinions. And the union was allowed to tell us theirs. But it isnt like the company has to keep their mouths shut. They can tell their side as well.......

Unions are only valuable to bad employees and the union bosses. All others benefit more without them involved. Thank goodness I live in a right to work state which means I can not be forced to join a union as can happen today in non-right to work states. Either join the union or you find another line of work. THAT sounds fair and beneficial???
Just remember, whether you pay dues or not, you are still a represented employee.

Ask an unrepresented adjunct professor about their wages and benefits compared to their represented counterparts whether tenure track or non-tenure (teaching) track. I’m quite certain you would prefer the benefits negotiated by your representatives whether you pay your dues and have voting rights or not.

My last retail position was at a massive retailer. One of the first things they do during onboarding is make you watch anti-union propaganda. Then ask you to work overtime one week and leave early the next to avoid employees averaging enough hours to qualify for benefits.

As far as retail work goes, I would think Apple would be a better gig than many others, but there is always room for improvement.

Also keep in mind that the last time labor rights and unionization became huge was a time when wages were suppressed, workers were unsatisfied with working conditions, and CEO types made hundreds or thousands times more than laborers. When CEO salaries were more like tens of times the wages of laborers, the middle class was strong, and workers were reasonably happy and could function in life without a mountain of debt. Where are we now in terms of corporate structure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.