Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several readers noted that Apple's iTunes Music Store has had some strange behavior this morning with song and genre links behaving erratically. The problem appears to be corrected at this time.

In addition, several users noted a surprising pricing discrepancy at the online Apple Store.

The rotating PowerMac G5 promotional graphic at the Apple Store appears to display Educational pricing for the PowerMacs reflecting significant discounts from retail prices. These numbers however are not reflected in the actual ordering system and appears to represent a simple mistake... the graphic is essentially the same as the educational store image.

FlashJordan

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
My guess is those prices are not a mistake. Any of the G5 configurations can be BTO'd without the Superdrive for a savings of $200. That makes the "From" prices in that graphic accurate for all models.

Edit: Upon a second look, the Dual 2.0 is still a lower price in that graphic than it should be with the Superdrive subtracted.

Jordan

Fraize

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
Problems I'm seeing with iTunes

Clicking on the No Doubt band link in the New Releases section brings me to Ravi Shankar.

Clicking on browse has me select a genre first. I selected "Rock." The second panel has me select genre again!

That's when I gave up.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Re: Problems I'm seeing with iTunes

Originally posted by Fraize
Clicking on the No Doubt band link in the New Releases section brings me to Ravi Shankar.

Clicking on browse has me select a genre first. I selected "Rock." The second panel has me select genre again!

That's when I gave up.

Clicking on No Doubt takes me to Blink-182.

Browse seems to work properly for me, though.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Re: Problems I'm seeing with iTunes

Originally posted by Fraize

You're better off listening to Ravi Shankar.:p

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Re: Re: Problems I'm seeing with iTunes

Originally posted by autrefois
Clicking on No Doubt takes me to Blink-182.

Browse seems to work properly for me, though.

I tried again a minute ago and it still brought me to Blink-182. I then closed iTunes and went straight to "New Releases" again. Now, clicking on No Doubt now brings me to No Doubt, as it should.

Does this mean that you need to close iTunes in order for changes on Apple's server to be noticed by iTunes? (maybe some sort of caching?)

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i dunno... when i refresh the store page that has the graphics for discounted g5's, the next image i get (from the collection of 4 i think) is one saying there are significant discounts for educational buyers... and since those prices are the educational prices, i'd bet it's just not all that well thought through.

although a price cut that big across the board would be nice...

just think about the educational prices after the cut!

matt

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Originally posted by mkaake

although a price cut that big across the board would be nice...

just think about the educational prices after the cut!

matt

yeah that would be marvelous. I might consider getting a G5 if the prices are cut. It would be great to use the even lower edu discount. that would allow a duelie 2.0Ghz to be ~$2399!! Not bad, not bad at all.

Edit: fixed some syntax

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
unconfirmed claim

The Apple Store does indeed indicate a $300 savings for the Dual 2Gig, but when I called the Apple Store they told me it was a mistake and they were pulling the graphic, but they would honor the price. My advice is to call now and get your order in, especially for the Dual 1.8 at $2299 which is an incredible deal considering the Dual 2Gig won't significantly out-perform it.

anyone want to buy one? :)

arn

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
I believe this is new pricing...

There is a difference between the 2 images, the systems are listed in Red on the mistake, and the prices are listed in red on the educational image, these are 2 separate images...

I think the red symbolizes Christmas...as in Christmas pricing.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Originally posted by areyouwishing
I believe this is new pricing...

There is a difference between the 2 images, the systems are listed in Red on the mistake, and the prices are listed in red on the educational image, these are 2 separate images...

I think the red symbolizes Christmas...as in Christmas pricing.

That is a good point. However the two images might just be two versions of the G5 image for the Education Store. I really do hope you are right though.

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
Certainly very odd, that it is still up there if it is not correct. And, the "date" appears to be in the graphic url as "112103", last Friday.

Not sure what the "cp" in the file name means, but "promo" certainly sounds good. Hmmm.... :)

edit: ah, cp ~ "christmas pricing" -- I read through that prior post to quick. again, interesting.

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
I see 1799, 2499, and 2999 when it loads on apple's front page and those are same as in store prices.

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
willmg, not on the apple home page, the store.apple.com page. it is still there assuming my 'reload' button isn't broken!.

But yes, when you select one in the PM selection it's back to the original pricing.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
this can be filed under the "whoops" catagory. These prices are the edu prices. If I go to my schools custom apple store page, I see the same graphic. I'm guessing they accidentally put it in the regular store too.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The pricing has been corrected on Apple's site.

arn

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
I sent a comment to Apple this morning on the glitches and it was fixed 30 minutes afterwards. Every link (including celebrity playlists) was to No Doubt's new single, the new Blink 182 CD, or Ludacris' page. Glad that torture is gone.

Also I could not see what "just added today" That was the real annoying part. *sigh, Oleander was the only real good thing.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
G5 Price Drops for Christmas?

Tough to say - it's the same graphic as the edu store, yet that's probably the graphic Apple would simply copy if they were indeed lowering prices! It mihgt just be a legitimate graphic mix-up, yet Christmas season is upon us, and, hey, remember when that "incorrect" gif was displayed on the Apple site spilling all the info on the G5s ahead of time! It happened once so...

We'll just have to wait and see I guess, just like with everything else... ;)

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Probably is a pricing discount for Christmas because they are expecting to change around the processors in the G5's in Jan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.